PDA

View Full Version : Helppp please!

tkane
11-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'll just quickly introduce myself; I live with my husband and mother and father in law. My husband and I care for "the olds", so I'm pretty much homebound. My mother in law taught me how to knit about 4 mths ago and I've been bit by the bug. Any-hoo, I mainly knit for charity; the local church is having a welfare christmas lunch and I'm knitting stuffed animals to give to the children who attend. I have knittted 2 Peter rabbits so far, and am working on an elephant which is designed by Val Pierce. Here is the link http://www.ivillage.co.uk/homegarden/homemaking/crafts/articles/0,,695942_711537-1,00.html I am having so much trouble understanding it though. The terms aren't consistent and I feel like pulling my hair out. I know it will be worth it cos it looks so gorgeous, but it's driving me nuts. I'm up to the head gusset and was wondering if anyone had knit this before and whether they can tell me whether there are bits and pieces missing from the pattern (highly unlikely) or what it is I'm missing (more than likely)!!!
Please help! Please! Please. BTW I love this site!!! Thanks in advance

fibrenut
11-27-2007, 05:14 AM
Hiya tkane n welcome to the party!!:knitting:
K this might take a little bit but here goes:
k you're gonna cast on your 5 stitches and work in the pattern stitch for 26 rows, next row increase one stitch on each end, work 3 rows in pattern, work another increase row, repeat those last four rows til you have 15 sts on your needles, then... (hold on had to go n look at the pattern again) work 8 rows in the pattern stitch and on the next row decrease one stitch on each end of the row, work next three rows in pattern, work another decrease row, now repeat these four rows til you only have 3 stitches left and then knit all three together and finish off. (pulling the yarn through all three stitches and then cutting the yarn leaving a decent length o I say about 6 inches (@ 15cm) and pull the "tail" through the loop and snug it up).
Hope that helps ya!!:guyknitting:
Happy knitten!!:thumbsup:

Just a minute there. hmmmm, yep re-read it and you betcha there is parts missing, uh'huh ummm where's the instructions for the body and the head????. It only says to make two of em!!!!:?? Wow, now no wonder you're pulling out all yer hair. Dang!!!

tkane
11-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Fibrenut!! I love you!! Thank you sooooo much! You know I almost thought buggerit and was going to start another project! Thank yopu thank you! Greatly appreciated! :muah: Now I'm torn.. do I go back to my elephant or should i stay on the forums!! They're both as addictive!! Thanks again!

fibrenut
11-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Tkane hun, I am sooo sorry, I re-read it again and again AND again. OMG what the heck was that person smoking when they wrote that pattern???? I have been knitting nigh on 30 years and have never ever seen a more confusing pattern. Omg!! I was mistaken about the body not being there it's there alright but dang ya'll have to know trigonometry just to find it (just kidding, but dang). :thud: Let me look at it some more and see what I can do with it for ya hun, K? I will see if I can chart it out for ya.
K hun I am going to work on this for you tomorrow and see what I come up with. I'll have to pm you the instructions as it won't be able to be seen in the public forum (not nasties or anything like that just the copyright issues). Right now is't 3 in the am n I really need to get my tuckus to bed. Niters (afternoon for ya'll)

tkane
11-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Thank goodness it wasn't just me!! I thought I was being too ambitious (which I probably was, but it was just too cute!) and a dunce at that!! I had to keep rereading the pattern as well.. good to know a veteran like you was having trouble too! Anyway I've done the head gusset, thanks to you.. Will continue with the feet base, which looks straightforward enough.. tell you what, I mucked up the body, the 2 parts aren't identical.. but I figure I can disguise it when I sew it all up! :wink: Much better sewer than I am knitter!

fibrenut
11-27-2007, 02:34 PM
:zombie: :passedout: K tkane this is really throwing me for a loop (pun intended). I am going to have to work on this for a couple days. I will definitely get this figured out. A couple questions for ya.... K when you got to the part where you are supposed to knit across the saved trunk stitches, did you end up on the opposite side of the front? That's the part I can't quite get my head wrapped around. Why would it be written to knit the trunk stitches opposite sides to the front legs. hmmmm. I better stop or I'll give myself a headache. ACCCKKKK!!! :zombie: No worries though, I will conquer this:thumbsup:

tkane
11-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Fibrenut, to be honest, I just did whatever I thought and i ended up putting the trunk on the back of the elephant!! LOL It still looks alright though... I can't believe that this pattern was actually in a knitting magazine.. looks like someone needs to hire a proofreader! Thank you so much for doing this! Maybe my next elephant will not look so demented! I'll post the piccy up when my mangled elephant is done! BTW would you be able to knit this pattern all in garter stitch? There's no right or wrong side is there? Moss stitch is hard to get right when you have to join pieces.. well for me anyways! Cheers fibrenut, you rock! :woot:

fibrenut
11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
:noway: :aww: K, first things first, I kept thinking about what I wrote pertaining to the pattern and the way it was written. OMG the more I think about it the more mortified I become.... K, just in case whomever, read that, I am soooo sorry!!!:waah: Heat of the moment, 3 am n all that. I am so sorry.
But, it is quite confusing though. That said. o yeah where was I........ O yah, tkane I would think that it would be perfectly fine in garter st. And after reading the pattern through a gazillion times and trying my darndest to chart it out n all. There's that one part on the body where it says to do "5" rows even (or straight or however). I would do 4 rows, add the trunk and then one more row straight after the trunk to make sure we get back on track with the shaping and all that. That way the trunk is on the correct side of the elephant. This is one of the main reasons that I crochet toys instead of knitting them LOL!!:thumbsup: :hug: Happy knitting tkane and thank you for letting me try to help :X: O BTW here's a link to kpc's website and they also have a crochet pattern site too just in case LOL www.knittingpatterncentral.com (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com) and www.crochetpatterncentral.com (http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com) Look for the amiragumi patterns those are adorable.

tkane
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Hey again fibrenut,
Don't know how to crochet unfortunately! Sounds like good advice re the elephant though, will deff do that on my next one (4 stitches, add trunk, then knit). I actually found this site thru the kpc site. Anyhoo, gotta try and finish this elephant ... feel sorry for the child who is going to get this elephant!! It might just have to be a sample elephant :aww:

edensbridge32
02-07-2009, 04:35 AM
Hello there, There seems to be a bit of confusion about my blue elephant so I wonder if I can help ? I am Val Pierce and I designed the little fellow everyone seems to be complaining about : ( Where are you having the problems and how can I help ? He has been knitted numerous times by many many folks and I dont get very many complaints. Its always difficult to write patterns in a way that everyone can understand them, although I do my very best. There can often be missprints and typos that make working very hard.Let me know how I can help ! I have a web site www.crossedneedles.co.uk and will be posting patterns and advise on that very soon. Best wishes Val