PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite baby yarn?

laikabear
11-27-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm looking to start a new baby project and wondered if you guys have any likes/ dislikes for baby yarn. I know even less about babies than knitting so I need all the help I can get. I have used some Bernat Satin, which is okay, but is there a nicer acrylic? Or is that an oxymoron?

divagirl
11-27-2007, 09:59 AM
I have used Bernat Saitn many times and I like it. It has a pretty sheen when it is knit up. I have used Encore and CP Bunny Hop for baby things too.
I am really liking Berrocco Comfort right now for baby and kid things. It knits up into a really nice fabric, there are tons of colors and the price is great for the yardage (210 yds. I think). Berrocco Love it and Pure Merino are also machine washable. A little more pricey though. KP Swish is nice too.
Dale Baby Ull and Filatura Zara are yarns I have not tried yet but I have petted them and they are very soft! I hate to hand wash stuff so machine washable is something I always look for, especially for gifts. Hope this helps! :mrgreen:

bethany
11-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Im interested in this too...dh's gma made blankets for my girls and they are soooo beautiful and I have no idea what she used. She's gone now and I can't ask her. She didn't use anything fancy though. It's 100% machine washable, pills only a little, but hey, these things get lots of use!

GiddyKnitter
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
That's easy for me to answer...Debbie Bliss Babycashmerino. Lots of lovely colors around 4 per ball but goes one hell of a long way. It knits up beautifully with a little twist to the stitch definition ... also machine washable.. what more could anyone want!

Jan in CA
11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Do you want worsted or "baby" weight? I just made those two sweaters out of Caron Simply Soft worsted and it's sooo soft. I've also used Bernat Softee Baby and it's really soft, too. I haven't had problems working with either one of those.

The most important things to remember when making something for babies IMO is that the yarn is soft and washable. It will get washed a lot so it needs to be sturdy.

knitncook
11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
While I'm a fan of all natural fibers, I have used acrylic for children and baby wear. I also like Wool-Ease and Cotton-Ease for children's clothing. It's that whole "machine wash" part that is attractive. Having had kids I know how wonderful silk wool blends just don't wash up as nicely as good ole Caron Simply Soft.

One thing to consider is that if you are making sweaters for babies and small children, either make them cardigans or find a pattern that has a shoulder button or "henley" style opening. Babies heads are so much bigger than their necks. My mother made a wonderful little wool from this gorgeous Icelandic wool and sadly we had to take it apart as it just wouldn't go over my son's "pumpkin head."

miccisue
11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Caron Simply Soft is great!!!!! Honestly, I've made baby blankets out of plain old Red Heart Super Saver as I wash them before I give them to the recipient, and once the sizing is washed out, they soften up quite a bit.
Right now I'm looking at Red Heart Baby Clouds for a couple of blankets for my nieces - I've used the Light and Lofty for lapghans, and once it's washed up it's nice and cuddly so I figure the Baby Clouds will do the same thing.
Most of the gifts I give are for either kids, or for something that is going to get a lot of use (like the lapghans), so I rely on acrylics - machine washable and dryable and hold up forever.:wink: I've never been one who has to use real expensive stuff - durability is the most important factor for me. (And I'm on a tight budget as well, so acrylics are a staple for me)

Shandeh
11-27-2007, 04:47 PM
I like all the yarns mentioned above. I also like Bernat Cottontots and Peter Pan Wendy baby yarns. There is a nice yarn I saw at the yarn shop the other day that I really want to try. It's called "Oh My" by Plymouth. It is SO SOFT!! :inlove:

knitpurlgurl
11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Bernat Satin knits up nicely and is great for a less expensive project. I LOVE ROWAN!