PDA

View Full Version : Advice, etc., on using Addi Turbo needles?

tmav113
11-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Greetings, all! I'd love to get some feedback from you folks on Addi Turbo knitting needles...you know, the circular ones that are supposed to be fast and are generally rather expensive.

I first spied them in my local knitting store and was intrigued, but put off a bit by the price. So, after MUCH searching and comparing, I bought a pair on eBay (size 17, 47" cable). I then anxiously waited for their arrival which was, of course, AFTER the Thanksgiving holiday I wanted to use them for. When they arrived, I tore open the package, dumped all the other mail on the floor, and set to work with them right away.

Ummm...yeah. I hate these needles.

I don't see how they are any faster than the cheapie Susan Bates that I was already using. The cable is a tube, and the yarn drags on it horribly. I tried the needle with two different projects, one with WW yarn and one with bulky yarn, and it was the same with both. Any time I saved with the needles I lost dragging the projects along the cables to knit them.

Is there something I'm doing wrong with these needles or are they just not all they are cracked up to be? I spent $15.50, which I know is cheap for this brand, but expensive for one set of needles, at least to me.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to resell them on eBay. Crikey, but I really did hope they would help with some holiday projects I have. I shall depend on my trusty Susan Bates needles instead. :)

Ingrid
11-27-2007, 01:28 PM
It's the size that's the problem. I had some size 19's, I think, and I hated them, too. In fact, I bought two to use for the two-circ method and both broke the first night. I returned them.

HOWEVER--regular-sized Addis are spectacular. The cord is not a tube, but a relaxed cable; the join is perfect, and they're lovely to work with.

That said, I enjoy the KnitPicks Options interchangeable set just as much, and they're so much less expensive.

Jan in CA
11-27-2007, 01:36 PM
HOWEVER--regular-sized Addis are spectacular. The cord is not a tube, but a relaxed cable; the join is perfect, and they're lovely to work with.

That said, I enjoy the KnitPicks Options interchangeable set just as much, and they're so much less expensive.

Exactly! I have a few Addis and like them a lot, but I couldn't afford many so I bought the Options and love them. Worth every penny IMO.

tmav113
11-27-2007, 01:42 PM
It's good to know that the regular sized ones are less trouble. Of course, though, I have another pair of big ones on the way! ;) I ordered a pair of size 36 circulars of this brand, because I couldn't find 36 circulars in any other brand. But, hey, they can't be any worse than the size 17, right?

I'm going to check out the Options ones. I've often thought about getting an interchangeable set, but wasn't sure which brand was best or if they were worth it.

MamaMer
11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
You also have to be super super careful about getting Addi's off of Ebay. Of course there are lots of good sellers, but if you haven't had a pair at all, you might not know what a fake set looks like compared to a real set.

There are a lot of fake Addis on Ebay..the packaging looks quite normal when it comes to you, until you start comparing some of the minute details with a real package...

So don't give up on em yet--I would take the package you got from Ebay into my LYS and compare packaging very closely, just for peace of mind:)

tmav113
11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
You also have to be super super careful about getting Addi's off of Ebay. Of course there are lots of good sellers, but if you haven't had a pair at all, you might not know what a fake set looks like compared to a real set.

There are a lot of fake Addis on Ebay..the packaging looks quite normal when it comes to you, until you start comparing some of the minute details with a real package...

So don't give up on em yet--I would take the package you got from Ebay into my LYS and compare packaging very closely, just for peace of mind:)

Wow...I had NO idea! And I'm usually pretty good at spotting something bogus on eBay. I think I'll head to the yarn store after work and check. Any excuse to go to the yarn store makes for a good day!

GinnyG
11-27-2007, 03:51 PM
I have bought alot of Addi's on ebay and never had a problem. I have a few pair I bought at my LYS and they compare perfectly side by side. I'm not sure HOW you tell if the seller is selling fake ones but I have been very lucky.

I LOVE MY ADDI's:heart: :heart: I have never used a size 17, Addi or otherwise, but agree it is the size that is the problem. I use a 10.5 for Bulky yarn and it is just lovely.

Quiara
11-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Regular Addis are love. I've never tried the mammoth ones - never really needed them, honestly; I don't care much for the "big needle" look. I got my Addis primarily for socks and they are awesome. I love them dearly. However, like most others, I can't shell out $12 - $20 every time I need a different size, so I finally just bought the KnitPicks Options. Everything I've ever heard about them is positive and I've owned two interchangeable sets before, so I already know I love a) interchangeables and b) Addi-esque needles, so I have no doubt I'll love these. ^_^

knitncook
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
I have a couple Addi's in sizes 2 and 5 and love them! They are very smooth and quick. But I will agree with Ingrid that the Options are my faves and are just as nice (and interchangeable and much less expensive.) I bought my Addi's before the Options came out and so have not bothered buying any others.

boo1
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm working on a hat with Muench Touch Me and a size 7 Addi circ and it is divine.

I do also have the Options set but I haven't tried them out yet! I will soon!

kitkat
11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
I have those same needles and they do indeed suck, excuse my french! I have them in my box of things to be sold at some time in the future.

Smaller addi's are very nice. But you cannot beat the price of the options.

tmav113
11-30-2007, 11:47 AM
It's good to know that the regular sized ones are less trouble. Of course, though, I have another pair of big ones on the way! ;) I ordered a pair of size 36 circulars of this brand, because I couldn't find 36 circulars in any other brand. But, hey, they can't be any worse than the size 17, right?

I'm going to check out the Options ones. I've often thought about getting an interchangeable set, but wasn't sure which brand was best or if they were worth it.

So, as an update of sorts...the size 36 Addi's came in the mail yesterday and, oddly enough, I love them! The tube is the exact same size as the one for the size 17, which makes pretty much no sense to me, but these bigger ones are perfect. I like to do bulky, fluffy (read: quick) afghans on needles this size, and having them in circulars is going to save my life.

:woot: