PDA

View Full Version : Magic Loop Knitting.....What Do You Use It For?

Arielluria
11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
I just watched Amy's video here on KH on Magic Loop Knitting. What exactly is its purpose?????????

knitgal
11-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I haven't actually done it, but from what I understand, it's use when you would normally use DPNs. Sock, tops of hats maybe, sleeves on a baby sweater perhaps?

Mirl56
11-27-2007, 06:13 PM
I don'lt actually use it myself; I prefer using 2 circular needles to the same end. But any time you would use 4 or 5 double pointed needles, that is when you can use Magic Loop (or 2 circs).

Lindsey H
11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I have started using it for almost everything that I would normally use dpns. I love it for socks and with options I have no ladders. I know a lot of knitters use two circs but I found that way too cumbersome.

Jeremy
11-27-2007, 06:23 PM
You can use it for small circumferance knitting in the round. Stuff like socks (especially socks, Silver has a tutorial on a toe up sock with magic loop) mittens, sweater sleeves, hats. I have used it many times and like it a lot. You just have to be sure to get really long cords-at least 30", I like longer. This was easy through Knitpicks Options.

ecb
11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Identical knitting things like;
making 2 socks at once
making 2 mittens at once
finishing 2 sleeves of a sweater
Single things with magic loop
making a hat, or poncho, or sweater neck/body, a purse, any bag really
anything that varies in circumference

ecb

Limey
11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I use it mainly for knitting tiny hats for premature babies. You don't really need a super long length cord though for those - a 30" is plenty.

BinkyKat
11-27-2007, 08:31 PM
I only just recently started using it to learn something new. The gals at my LYS love it so I thought, "What the hay!"
I LOVE it mostly for the fact that I get noticeable "ladders" between each dpn and this method alleviates and in many cases eliminates that! :thumbsup:

redwitch
11-28-2007, 02:02 AM
It is actually used for anything in the round where your needle is (significantly) longer than the circumference of the item you are knitting.

suzeeq
11-28-2007, 10:36 AM
About the only thing people haven't mentioned is for mitts/fingerless gloves. Use it for things that are too small for a circular or instead of dpns.

Knitting_Guy
11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
It is actually used for anything in the round where your needle is (significantly) longer than the circumference of the item you are knitting.

Exactly.

ignora
11-29-2007, 04:37 AM
Yeah, I watched that video the other day. I've been doing this for a long time... I just didn't know it was an actual technique and had a name. I just didn't want to deal with double pointed needles. Goes to show you what I know!

Debkcs
11-29-2007, 04:51 AM
I really like the method, as it works better for me than dpn's.

Actually, working on two circular needles and using the 'magic loop' process are pretty similar. I've done both, and like both, it just depends on how you want to slide your work around.

speattle
11-29-2007, 07:26 PM
anything in the round. socks, hats, sleeves, bodies of sweaters, mittens, thumbs on mittens, booties, slippers.

DonnaS
11-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Watched the video on this last night and LOVE it. I don't mind using DPN's really except I do alot of knitting on the fly, in the car etc.. and this saves me from having to worry with 4 little needles getting lost. It's a great tool :)