PDA

View Full Version : Crochet yarn question

brendajos
11-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I ask this question, though it may seem silly, because I truly don't know. My assumption is that people who crochet can use any ol' yarn that knitters use. Is that true? I have a swap I am doing and the person whose name I got, is a crocheter so I wanted to throw some yarn in the package as well. I just wanted to make sure that if i threw in some, malabrigo for example, she would be able to use it.

and do crocheters use stitch markers?

rofe408
11-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Malabrigo? I've never heard of it before but in 39 yrs of crocheting, I've used all manner of yarn, string and thin metal wire. Crocheters do use stitch markers. She'll love whatever you package up for her. rofe

samm
11-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi! I do both crochet and knitting and use yarns that are ww or dk usually, but it depends what I'm making. If your swap person does doilies she does thread crochet, and you would get crochet cotton thread for that. But if she does amigurumi she'd like ww or dk. Garments are often dk so they drape, but I've seen bulky crochet too! I use stitch markers when I crochet, so she'd like that. Hope that helps somewhat! samm

Plantgoddess+
11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I have crocheted for too many years to count and would be willing to use any yarn. Just as in knitting it depends on what she makes. I have made dresses, afghans, vests, hats etc using crochet. I have never used stitch markers, but then I have managed to knit and crochet with a minimum of accessories mainly by not being aware of them. I think she could use a lot of the same things knitters use.

Mulderknitter
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
My thoughts were always that crocheters used "crochet thread" and everything else was up to them?

Becky Morgan
11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
What Rofe said...if it'll bend around a hook, I'll use it. (I can't find my durn spool of wire right now and half the beads are on it...I'm crocheting Christmas balls.) Yarn of any weight will do fine.

brendajos
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
y'all are awesome! Thank you!

and ... ummm... i don't know her well enough to dip in to the malabrigo for her but it was the first example that came to mind...lol Thank you!