PDA

View Full Version : sizing question baby pattern

Lucy78green
11-27-2007, 06:06 PM
I bought a pattern with a view to knitting a couple of cardigans or jumpers as Christmas presents for friend's babies. I got a nice pattern that would use up some left over wool but I am confused as to what size to make. One baby will be 10 months and one will be 14 months old in December, but I was thinking of up-sizing for growing room. My problem is the pattern just gives chest measurements in inches and no guidline as to the average size for each age group. It starts at 16 inches and goes up to 26. I can't find any guidline on the internet that agrees on size either. I know ideally I should measure the actual children but it would give away the surprise if I turned up at my friends' houses with a tape measure.

Jan in CA
11-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Here's a basic size chart that should help. ;)

http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/children.shtml

I notice the chest size goes down for the size 2 so I guess that's because they are standing and walking at that point usually. I have kids, but never measured their chests at that age. :teehee:

suzeeq
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
At about age 2, toddlers start growing up, rather than out and can indeed slim down a little through the body.