PDA

View Full Version : Switching from one circ to two circs?

betty bat
11-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Newbie knitter here. I'm making a hat, my first project on circular needles. I have a 16" needle and I started at the bottom of the hat. Eventually, I will start decreasing and the hat will get smaller. I know that I'll have to switch from the single circular needle to something else, either two circular needles or DPNs. I'm not using Magic Loop on this because I really wanted to try doing the single circular (which I've really liked so far - it's interesting to knit in a circle) and I also wanted to try two circulars, which I've heard as an alternative to ML if you have shorter needles.

So, here's the question. Given that I'm currently working with the circular needle, how do I transition to the two circulars? Do I move the stitches to the second circ, knit them onto the second circ or what? All the two circ examples I've seen are starting off with the two circs, not transitioning to them.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Ingrid
11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Knit half the stitches to the new circ, then flip the whole thing over so that the yarn is over at the right tip of the needle in back and pull the needle so the stitches are on the cord. The use the loose end of the front needle to knit the stitches that are on the other end of that one.

betty bat
11-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Can't wait until I get to that point in my hat so I can try it out.