PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the secret to matching yarn color to something?

jess_hawk
11-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I know with paint they have it all formulated out, and analyze your sample item to determine what color it is (although sometimes the machine gets it wrong, I remember the boss spending about 3 hours one day trying to mix a quart for a touch up a guy was doing, he'd knocked a hole in his barn or somthing... but I digress)... WHAT is the best way to do this with yarn. I am making gloves for my mom and as I was carrying her coat through the lys, I kept thinking, there HAS to be a better way to do this.
My best friend just bought a new coat and was looking at headband/earwarmers at Wal Mart and complaining about how you have to buy a bunch of them and they cost so much, so I told her that I could knit her one that was better than those. The knitting is no problem (although picking a pattern could be difficult, there's so many good ones!)... but I'm wondering if there is a better way to find the right color.
Any thoughts?

fibrenut
11-27-2007, 11:33 PM
:knitting: Hiya Jess,
Just a little question here, does it have to be matchy, matchy or can it be complimentary to the color of the coat. Is the coat one color or a mix or blocks of this n that etc?
If it's a coat with a myriad of colors in it, go with one of the colors in the coat or heck, make stripes or flecks with different colors from the coat or........... o heck I could go on n on...:X: or let's say the coat is all blue then black or navy or even fire engine red (maybe even shocking pink) would be kewl. Or it's brown with flecks of yellow and green. Pick a teal yarn or marigold or even brown of a different shade. If it's white off-white looks gorgeous with white white or any jeweltone would be good with white and you betcha ANYthing goes with black.:thumbsup:

jess_hawk
11-28-2007, 12:03 AM
My friend's coat is green with cream and a little bit of grey. But, its all one color of green, not multiple shades, and if I use a different color of green, it will look wierd. Cream is a bear to match, but I have a cream that would be close enough for a liner (I plan to double knit it) - and she said she wanted it green, and loves green, and so on. Its not really conducive to a contrasting color because a) three colors in it, if I find a color that looks good with two, it will probably clash or be too close to the third color; and b) its a nice coat, and she's not the kind to wear something to a formal gathering/nice restaraunt/whatever which goes with her coat because it doesn't match anything. Black wouldn't look right with the grey, even.
This is why black and brown are my all-purpose colors. If I were her, I'd have bought a black or brown coat, picked a bright color for a contrast (or two or three), and had my friend knit me a scarf, a headband, and gloves (well, if she was me and I was her and I couldn't knit myself).
Fortunately I think SHE will be happy if its just close... I will be the one bothered if its slightly off. I blame it on my mom, I swear she's OCD.

fibrenut
11-28-2007, 12:42 AM
How about this colorway; http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/PictPage/1324654.html
or this one; one is olive green and the other is sage http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/InventoryPage/1694539/1.html
or maybe ; http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/PictPage/1922237919.html
How bout these from kp; the moss heather and the peach would be lovely don't you think? http://www.knitpicks.com/Andean+Treasure_YD5420107.html
And this yarn is soooooo to die for it is yummy (and not gonna break yer bank either):guyknitting: Hope this helps ya.

jess_hawk
11-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Mmmmm you have me drooling... none of them are quite the right color, though, so I will have to restrain myself from stash expansion (:D). Her coat is more spring green. Yellower than mint or sage, lighter and not so brown as olive... Well, I may be headed off to the lys tomorrow afternoon, so I suppose I'm just going to have to break down and steal her coat for yarn comparison.

Riss
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
I would say to your friend "Let me borrow your coat so I can bring it to the yarn shop and get you something that matches it perfectly." If it's cold, and you're about the same size, offer a trade :)

Greens can be touchy. There are many different families with greens. There are the forest greens, kelly greens, teal greens, blue greens.. etc. I think that so long as you stay within the right family, you'll be okay. A shade lighter or darker than the shades in the coat would be fine too. Just stick to it. That color will find you when the time comes. :)

jess_hawk
11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
If it's cold, and you're about the same size, offer a trade :)
Hehe, I'm just picturing the two of us switching coats... she's very thin and I am not. But I get the point, and yeah, my plan is to get her coat and take it shopping with me. Or just have her come along.
Thanks!

Mazie
11-28-2007, 09:22 PM
I think the best idea is to have her (and her coat) come shopping with you. That way she can select the colour and the yarn that makes her happy. She knows best what she likes with her coat and you are off the hook if it doesn't work out.

jess_hawk
11-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Well, she says she just wants black now, because black will go with what she wears the coat with. So I'm going to make it reversible with some grey that will be close enough to the grey in the coat, if she wants something that matches at any point.

Thanks anyway everyone for your help/advice!!!

Lisa R.
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
I haven't tried this, but I read somewhere that if you're struggling to match a color, you can try a yarn a shade darker with a yarn a shade lighter and alternate rows (or stitches if you're that ambitious) to make the overall look more of a mix between the colors.

It seems like it would just be striped, but it might be worth trying.