PDA

View Full Version : Crazy people who enjoy double knitting:

jess_hawk
11-28-2007, 02:11 AM
I just have to ask (assuming someone else on here loves double knitting) - has anyone else done a fair isle pattern on their double knitting, or knit in more than two layers (I haven't tried this one yet, its on my to do list).
(Understand that the first time I did double knitting, I used four straight needles, two for each color. So I'm totally insane.)
If yes, what problems did you encounter? Did you enjoy the challenge?
If no, would you be interested in trying it? I've been considering compiling a booklet of double knit patterns and techniques and see if my lys would like to sell it. There don't seem to be too many books devoted to double knitting, and apparently there is some interest at my lys because the owner asked me about the pattern I use for my hats (and whether she could get it to pass out free).

Thanks for any feedback!

SabrinaJL
11-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Ok, I've got to ask. How in the world did you use 4 needles? I've made several double knit things and I've only ever used 2 needles.

msmelody
11-28-2007, 04:41 AM
I would buy a book with good to great instructions on how to double knit. What kind of patterns will you have? How much will you be asking for the book?

mhansen
11-28-2007, 09:50 AM
What is double knit?

Lisa R.
11-28-2007, 10:30 AM
What is double knit?

Check out the videos on this site. They have one explaining it. (I've not tried it, myself)

Limey
11-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Every time I see that term 'double knit' I automatically think of DK weight wool over here.

Oh, well - two countries and all that.

GiddyKnitter
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi Limey
I have only ever tried fairisle once using 2 needles and it wasn't very good.
But I must say that I just love double knitting yarn...So yes I would be interested in your little book that if the patterns were sort of everyday things x

Kime
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
I have Beverly Royce's Notes On Double Knitting book, but it only covers working tubes on 2 needles in one or 2 colors it doesn't cover double knitting a double layer that is interwoven. She also covers lined tubes using double pointed needles.

starburst
11-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I tried double knitting once and all I could come up with was one side that was knitted and one side that was purled

suzeeq
11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
You must not have been doing k1 slip 1 on both sides.

GiddyKnitter
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh dear I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick here!!!
Sorry jess-hawk I thought you were talking about using double knitting yarn which is like your worsted!! Sorry xx

jess_hawk
11-28-2007, 05:53 PM
lol! well, its also referred to as double knit.
Ummm, as for the knitting on four needles... I did it just like with two needles, except each color was on its own needle. The yarns got carried front to back of both sets of needles, as with knitting on two needles. I don't recommend trying it - I only did it because I had never seen double knitting done the normal way but had reasoned out that it must be possible to do it, so I thought of a way to do it. The technique is interesting, its what I plan to use for triple knit (or quadruple, but I think I'll wait on trying to explain the theory on that one.
The booklet would include at the very least: basic instructions for double knitting, a few hat patterns/charts, a couple of scarf patterns/charts, instructions for adding a fair isle design on one or both sides, and (assuming I can work out how to do it) instructions for triple knitting and probably a hat pattern (I love hats) in triple knit. I don't know how much I would ask for it.
I might also do a mitten pattern, a blanket/afghan pattern... it all depends. Maybe I'd even do a "beginners" version and an "advanced" version. What else would you be interested in seeing in such a book?
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

ecb
11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I tried double knitting once and all I could come up with was one side that was knitted and one side that was purled
Purled facing In or out?
when i do Double knitting I have knit forward on one side, and Purl facing forward (and facing to the back side of the front part)
if you forgot to do a Knit for the front, and a Purl for the back stitches, then it would have a reverse stockinette facing ouot the back side, becasue you did a Knit stith on the back stitches
its ANOTHER GROWTH EXEPRINCE (AKA age)

ecb

jess_hawk
11-29-2007, 02:50 AM
I got started on typing today - I think I am going to create two books because I have so many ideas for patterns for basic stuff and so many things to try for the advanced stuff (CABLES are now on my list).
So far my patterns to include:
Christine's Earwarming Headband
Changeling Scarf (basic stripes)
Snowfall Scarf (snowflake pattern)
The Super Warm Winter Hat (basic hat pattern I provide free when asked for a double knit hat pattern)
another chart for the super warm winter hat
Toasty Mittens
Fireside Snuggler (One piece Afghan/blanket)
And
Starbright Snuggler (Afghan/blanket squares)

I'll probably come up with a couple new hat designs, but I think this will make a pretty substantial "beginner" book.
I'm still trying to come up with a clever title that isn't cheesy (but no suggestions, please!).

starburst
11-29-2007, 02:54 AM
I thought that I was following the kh video pretty well, but apparently not

jess_hawk
11-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Do you have a picture of how it turned out? maybe we can spot what went wrong from that.

starburst
11-29-2007, 05:18 AM
naw--I was just playing around with it and ended up frogging it

of troy
11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
i've done double knit hats, and a double knit vest, and a million (ok so not quite a million, but 1.5 dozen this year, (and some last year, and the year before that, and ...)

I don't do the K1, S1, (simple double knitting) but * K1(yarn A) Both yarns forward as if to purl, purl 1 (with yarn B), both yarns back, (as if to knit, repeat from *

(foundation row)

in future rows, Yarn A or B is K (or Purled) as needed to create a fair isle type design. (but the *K1(with 1 yarn) , both yarns forward as if to purl, P1 (with 1 yarn) both yarns back as if to Knit * (a sort of 1 X 1 ribbing feel) remains in place.. (which yarn is used to knit or purl is what makes the design..

back in April (from about the 15th) to mid May, i blogged about double knitting, posted some patterns (for pot holders) and posted a link to a You Tube Video for a 2 color cast on suitable for double knitting....

I also did some double knitting with both knits and purls on each side.. when Purling, the yarns do not stay together, but 1 yarn remains on each side of the work, (the yarn can, and do change position, (from front to back)but they remain seperate.)

you can check out blog archives for info.

knitpearlz
11-29-2007, 10:24 PM
I won't to learn to double knit. I seen a very nice double knit hat pattern that I would like to make for my son.
~new knitter~

jess_hawk
11-30-2007, 03:08 AM
of troy (is your name Helen irl?), thanks for the advice on patterns with both knit and purl on each side. I haven't tried those yet (I use very limited purl stitches in my knitting) because I hadn't come up with how to get the yarns to work themselves out. :D!

knitpearlz, if you have any questions I'm happy to help.

suzeeq
11-30-2007, 11:34 AM
of troy's method works well if you're using two colors, you could use one color and 2 strands the same way. I've only ever used one and no design so did k1, slip 1.

hummingbird
11-30-2007, 03:12 PM
I've done a little double knitting. Here's a pic of a square/ potholder I had on my flickr. I really like how it looks, but it just took too long to do.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2213/2074271405_51078f0e43.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2303/2074271279_775850f518.jpg

suzeeq
11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes, it's a bit tedious to knit. That's really nice though.

debinoz
11-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Now I'm confused. I watched Amy's video on double knitting and she knit/purled every stitch on the row. I thought the k1 sl1 method (knitting each row twice)was called mosaic knitting or something. Are they both called double knitting? I think that's what has me confused, I thought they were totally different animals.

of troy
11-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Of course you are confused!

double knitting is a term like Broiche..

there are LOTS OF stitch patterns that use the Brioche technique.
(include one stitch pattern called the BRIOCHE stitch!)

there are several techniques that are called double knitting!

1--simple double knitting
this is a way to knit a tube (just like knitting in the round) on 2 straight needle.
its simple, K1, s1, --just remember to bring yarn forward (as if to purl) when you slip..
it can be done with an odd number of stitches (but its slightly more complex!) work a swatch using an even number of stitches..
every row is the same

2--2 yarn double knitting.
this is a way to knit 2 tubes/one inside of the other..
this is the 'classic one sock inside another (from Anna Karenina)

3--2 yarn (2 color) INTERLOCKING double knit. (aka Jacquard double knitting)
in this double knit process, the 2 sides of the knitting interlock.. (see the pot holder? ever time there is a change of color (VERTICAL changes only) the 2 sides of the knitting interlock
IT IS NO LONGER A TUBE!

4--There are other interesting techniques to use double knitting (including half double knitting, twinned knitting, etc)

simple double knitting is great for belts, ties, (men ties, or neckline bind off+ ties for sweater) also good for strapes (on bags, or on sun dresses/sun suits for kids)

Inter locking double knittig is a whole different animal!

it makes a 2 sided (both sides stocking knit. (or not!) single layer (the 2 sides are interlocked and can not be pulled apart --the more complex the design, the more they are interlocked..)

(the square target (love that design, have done it myself!) is interlocked in just a few places.)

some stitch pattern (color work patterns) will interlock very stitch, every row!)

most patterns interlock every 5 stitches or so, (and ever few rows)

hummingbird
12-01-2007, 03:57 AM
Good explanation of Troy! Yep, my pictures show #3
The sides are open for 3 stitches but when the color switches the front yarn goes to the back, and the back yarn goes to the front.

jess_hawk
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
So, any patterns you would like to see put in a book about double knitting?

ecb
12-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Of Troy, and Jess_Hawk

I am AWED :notworthy:
Not only at your Skills at knitting, but at your communcation skills that TOTALLY dwarf mine

I would LOV any tps and tricks you could impart to me/us on this topic

ecb

jess_hawk
12-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Its a big topic - tips and tricks are easier if we know what your intended results are.

of troy
12-01-2007, 10:13 PM
toot-toot--me blowing my own horn here..

i blogged (about 10 blog posts) about double knitting starting in April till about mid May (of this year), and posted:

general directions
a you tube cast on
some instructions for basic 2 color stitch patterns
some instructions for some potholders.

I knit my potholders in cotton.. not the easiest fiber to work with..

but 100% pure wool works well too..

use a slight larger needle than you normal would, --say a size 9 for worsted (cascade 220 or Paton's classic merino)

BE AWARE --at first, double knitting plays havoc with gauge (99% find they knit looser..)

after completing pot holder, full it (semi felt)

wool is a good insulator, and wool potholder function well

the loose messy stitches (a side effect of learning double knitting) are an asset if you full!

you can search the april may archives--

i think of potholders as over sized swatches.. like washclothes, a good way to learn.. (and in the 30 days from april to may, i made about 18 potholders.. some copies of previous designs--but in new colorways, some with new designs. at some point, i'll do more (as i haven't experiemented with the new sugar N creme stripes..

I generally like solids better, but.. some of my experiments with purl stitches and color ways were way nicer than i expected!

Also check out:

The Big Book of Knitting, Katerina Buss, (sterling publishing) for great instructions and photos.

jess_hawk
12-02-2007, 12:22 AM
My guage is the same for double as single, so I didn't know that most people knit looser. Thanks!

suzeeq
12-02-2007, 12:51 AM
It could be looser in that you have half the stitches on one side, and half on the other. At least that's what I noticed when I tried it out.

of troy
12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
2 color, interlocking double knitting feels (in hand) like 1 X 1 ribbing,
you

*knit 1,(yarn a) both yarns forward (as to purl) purl 1 (with yarn b), yarn back (as to knit) repeat

MOST people work ribbing looser too.. (which is why smaller needles are usually called for for ribbing!)

the K1, S1 style of double knitting (simple double knitting) is less likely to be loose.

all the patterns i feature on my blog are for 2 color interlocking double knitting. (and the potholder (square target) on page 3 of this thread looks a bit loose--not bad, but rather, normal for 2 color interlocking double knitting!)

but as i say for cotton potholder, give them a good wash in hot water, for wool, a good wash in a machine.. the fabric will tighten up,& the potholder will be thicker (and this is a good thing in a pot holder!)

(after much practice, i can knit loose (if i want to full/shrink) or not.. but when i was first learning, getting the same gauge with double knitting as with normal knitting required smaller (about 2 sizes smaller) needles.. just a ribbing works better on smaller neeldes (for most!)

jess_hawk
12-02-2007, 08:33 PM
LOL I knit EVERYTHING tight. If I really concentrate and relax my hands, I can loosen up, but as soon as I get distracted, or if I'm stressed or nervous, it tightens up again. So typically, I just deal with knitting tight to avoid changeable guage.