PDA

View Full Version : My First Afghan

surebobll
11-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Hello My Name is Lesly,

I have been knitting for about three months now, and all my projects have been medium in size. But now i feel i want to move on to bigger and better things, i want to make an afghan, but the problem i have comes down to what needles should i use. The instructions call for a 8 size needle, which is fine i understand that but, my entire knitting life has been around circular needles. Do they sell circular needles large enough to do an afghan? I have also worked with double pointed needles when i made my hat, but im scared of losing my stiches, what kind of needles are appropriate? Am I suppose to use multiple needles? please help! :mrgreen: In case your wondering the afghan i want to make, here is the link http://www.mycraftbook.com/craftidea.asp?craftID=7

Thank you for listening, and i am awaiting anyones response. :aww:

Shandeh
11-28-2007, 04:12 AM
That particular pattern is for making an afghan out of strips of knitting. You would not be making the entire afghan all at once. You would knit strips about as wide as a scarf, and then seam them all together.

There are other patterns that are knit with long circular needles, but it is difficult sometimes to knit with so much weight pulling on your needles. It is possible, though.

There are plenty of very long circular needles available. The cables can be up to 60 inches long. You just have to look at different brands. You can buy them online if you can't find them at your local store.

SabrinaJL
11-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Yep, they come plenty long enough. I knit THIS STUPID AFGHAN (http://sabrinajl.com/cgi/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/blanket1.jpg) in one piece on circs. 300 stitches, with yarn held doubled. I don't recommend it.

jdee
11-28-2007, 04:21 AM
Yes, you can knit an afghan on circular needles. Just remember, your working a flat piece instead of a tube, so when you reach the end of each row, turn your work like you would using straight needles, instead of joining in the round. They make many different lengths of cords. My personal preferance is my 32 inch cord, but they make them longer, if that's too short for you to knit comfortably.

I hope I haven't confused you even more. I'm not always good at explaining things. But I know you can do it. :thumbsup:

sig
11-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Yep, they come plenty long enough. I knit THIS STUPID AFGHAN (http://sabrinajl.com/cgi/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/blanket1.jpg) in one piece on circs. 300 stitches, with yarn held doubled. I don't recommend it.
Ohhh but that's a beautiful 'stupid afghan' !!!!!:inlove::mrgreen:

Jaxhil
11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
SabrinaJL that *is* a pretty (LOL) "Stupid" Afghan!!

I am working on an afghan with doubled yarn and on a circular needle right now, and it is VERY heavy-but I am cold usually so its nice to work on in the cooler months...and (thank you God!!!) I am almost DONE :mrgreen:

My needle is a size 13 or 15 ( I think) and the cord is 32" long. I tried a longer cord but it was too long IMO. I think circs are the best way to do an afghan, because you don't have to worry nearly as much about losing stitches when you set it down for a break from working on it.

Good luck! The afghan picture you've shown is pretty, and Shandeh is right-it's knit in strips. It would probably be easier to make each strip but then there would be all that seaming :hair: LOL! maybe you don't mind seaming but I'm not sure I could take it :teehee: it really is pretty though!

cftwo
11-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I've knit an afghan on circular needles - something like size 15s - and they do make them in 35" lengths (or longer) which handle the width of a standard afghan pretty well. The pattern you've chosen is knit in strips, and you can certainly knit each strip on circulars, if you want. You won't need to worry about a longer length cord, though.

knitncook
11-28-2007, 10:57 AM
:yay: I applaud you who knit afghans! I just don't have the patience. It looks like the afghan you are wanting to make is simple enough and can be done on regular length (probably 29") circulars without any problems. Have fun!

Becky Morgan
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
If you don't mind seaming, that's a pretty pattern and knitting it in strips would take some of the pressure off...if you get bored, you'll have a nice supply of scarves!:D
I do a lot of stuff on circulars now. The usual sizes seem to vary by brand. I have both Clovers and Susan Bates circulars in 29", Clover in 24", and three Clovers and a Wal-Mart knockoff in 16" (great for hats.) The big sets of interchangeable cables and needles let you make all kinds of lengths. I like being able to lay the weight of a sweater or afghan on my lap while I work, rather than holding it up on straight needles. It's also handy to be able to shove the work to the middle of the needles and make a loose overhand knot to hold everything.

annomalley
11-28-2007, 06:55 PM

It looks really nice, Sabrina :)

boo1
11-28-2007, 07:13 PM
:yay: I applaud you who knit afghans! I just don't have the patience.

I can CROCHET an afghan without losing my mind, but I don't think I want to KNIT one, unless it is for a baby! Whew, no, too much!

CountryKitty
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi,

some of the nicest afghans I've done are made with 2 strands at once on size 15s. That's a lot quicker than with one strand and 3x as many sts. Turned out nice and fluffy too. (It was a basic aran pattern).

surebobll
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
I understand now, i was planning on not doing it in strips and simming them together, but you are all right, it will be easier, and for my first i think i should just do it that way. just incase i will try and see if i can find long circular needles so i can knit the entire piece as one. thank you, i will make a post when im finished with it. :)

Plantgoddess+
11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I have been in an afghan mood the last couple of years. My first knit afghan was done in a washable wool bulky on size 10 ,29" circular. I kind of made the pattern up as I went. I had three colors of yarn and just did a k4,p4 for 4 rows, changed color and did p4,k4, for 4 rows, changed to 3rd color and went back to k4,p4 and on until I ran out of yarn. It went pretty quickly. I am on my 3rd Quick Knit Ripple afghan pattern using 2 strands on size 13 29" circulars and can whip one out in about a month of off and on knitting. The pattern is more complicated and I do some tinking but once I memorize the pattern it gets faster.
I wouldn't be afraid of doing a one piece afghan. It's very satisfying to have it done once it's off the needles. I hate pieces that have to be sewn together and tend to knit my sweaters in one piece as well.