PDA

View Full Version : Sock Question

Miley384
11-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Okay, I went to the library today and I found a book on knitting. I was flipping through the pages when I found this pattern for socks. I read through it, and you dont do anything to shape the heel. I thought, "That's dumb." All you do is cast on and do 2 by 2 ribbing. Then you keep doing the ribbing until it's the length that you want.

Would the sock be sturdy? Would it be comfy? Would the heel rip easily since you don't do anything to shape it?

knitgal
11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I think it's sort of like the "tube sock" idea. It's a simple sock, probably wouldn't fit as well as a sock with a heel, but it would probably be fine. The ribbing would make it strong and would make it shape to the foot.

Miley384
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Thank you so much knit gal! I will have to try it and see how it turns out. Thanks again!

Jan in CA
11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Yep, it's a tube sock. They tend to bunch up over the top of the foot, but some people like them.

Have you seen Silver's sock tutorials? They are so easy to follow and make a great tutorial for first socks. ;)

Miley384
11-28-2007, 09:10 PM
:knitting: Thanks for the info! I have heard of Silver's Sock class but I don't have the right size needles.....(they're on my Christmas list! lol!) Thanks again!

Jan in CA
11-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Oh I see. Yeah, the right needle sizes helps. :teehee:

Miley384
11-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Lol Jan! You are funny!

redwitch
11-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Because you can wear it so that any side is on the heel, the fabric wears well (because the side on your heel, next time you wear it, can go on your instep, to either side, etc.).
Or perhaps I should say, not that the fabric wears well, but the sock wears well because different parts of it get worn equally.

So although the fabric could be under more tension, I don't think it would rip more easily as a result of no shaping.