PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate - my son in knitting!!!

WildMountainHoney
11-29-2007, 12:03 PM
:woohoo: :woot: :cheering: :yay:

I know, too many smilies.....but you can't see me jumping up down over here, so those will have to do!

Sooooooooo, long ago (about 3 months ago) I started working with a homeschool curriculum that encourages you to teach your 6-7 year old to knit with needles. I had never knitted in my life. I read the kiddie instructions, and watched the video that came with the curriculum. Then I found you all here. Recently, the weather is finally getting cold enough here that the kids are ready for more indoor crafts. And, they have seen me knit quite a bit. I told ds I could teach him if he was interested. He is currently sitting behind me, having cast on 8 stitches and knit 2 rows yesterday, he's on row 3 on his own right now! And, to make this an even more "manly" activity, I bought some dowels, dh gave him a knife for his birthday earlier this month, and he's going to make some needles of his own, too.

Oh, and while I was typing, I hear him counting...."five...six....seven.....eight! All there, and no extras!" :mrgreen:

gingerbread
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
What a wonderful idea to teach knitting. Congrats that your son is knitting :woot: I think more children should knit, keeps them thinking.
So Congrats again:woot::heart::woohoo:

Abbily
11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
That's great! :) I taught my 5yo daughter to finger knit, but haven't taught her to needle knit yet. I guess it's time! :)

WildMountainHoney
11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
You'll have to see if at 5 she has the dexterity. My son really wasn't ready before very recently.

However, we did start w/finger crochet (my 4 year old daughter LOVES that, chains all over the house) and then I taught ds to finger knit (on 4 fingers,making a narrow tube) and finally now knitting with needles.

Eccie
11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Congratulations :) It's a great way for him to fine tune his fine motor skills, since boys tend to have more issues with those.

mdog182
11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
awww that's sooo sweet! ever since i started knitting, more guys than i would have thought, have made the comment that they learned to knit when they were little, either in school or their mother/grandmother taught them. if i saw a little kid knitting, i would probably start crying at the sheer cuteness of it all. haha

HollyP
11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Congratulations!! I can't wait to teach my Godson to knit! He's really interested in my knitting now but still a couple years too young.

Quiara
11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I taught my nephew, Doodle, to knit earlier this year. He's been knitting about 8 months now (he's 6, will be 7 in December) and he does really well with simple back-and-forth knitting. He wants to branch out into hats and gloves and things, so that's our next project. ^_^

He's never seen knitting as a "girl thing," which I think is great. Probably because I also teach him how to network computers and build lego destruct-o-mobiles. ^_^

jess_hawk
11-29-2007, 04:09 PM
My brother would have loved to learn when he was little. He won't admit it now (far too "macho"), but he is excellent at embroidery.
Maybe my mom should have given him a knife and let him make a needle... on second thought, my brother was accident prone and would probably have cut some fingers off.
I'm impressed that your son can be trusted to handle a knife at a young age!

Beverley
11-29-2007, 06:05 PM
wow, I think thats great! I have 2 sons 13 and 16. When they were little and not so ....well you know, like teenagers...they used to knt and crochet too...I taught them to make cat toys. Just a change with a pom pom...but they enjoyed it!

knitpearlz
11-29-2007, 06:09 PM
wow! My 13 yr old son said the only way he would knit, if he got sick and couldn't do anything else! LOL I told him there are men that knit.

iwfinley
11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I recently taught my 9 year old son to knit and he's still working on the knit stitch -- I showed him the purl stitch but he wants to be fully comfortable with the knit stitch first. So I sit down to knit in the evening on his Harry Potter scarf and he sit and knits with a ball of scrap yarn I gave him. He likes to announce when he's finished a row and sometimes I let him think he "beat" me at finishing one!! I want my boys to be able to investigate any activity they find interesting, without worrying that it's a "boy" thing or a "girl" thing -- I think labels belong on soup cans, not people. That being said, though I don't think he's planning on taking his knitting to school to work on if they have indoor recess anytime soon. I also taught him to knit for selfish reasons -- my husband has three sons from his first marriage whom I helped raise since they were in elementary school (they're now in college), and we have two sons together, so in total, we have 5 boys in the house and any type of activity we can share that does not involve sports or video games is a welcome change of pace!!!

Good luck with your boy!!!

WildMountainHoney
11-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks so much all! He's doing fairly well so far, if I may brag some more ;) Of course he's occasionally twisitng by wrapping the wrong way, and has no tension (for now, just letting the working yarn hang until he wraps).

As for the more "manly" thing - I have found that no matter how I work to keep labels out of my home, if we let mass media in, they come with it. So far, he doesn't think knitting is anything other than a craft, an he enjoys a lot of crafts. I really am throwing in the needle making as another skill, along with something slightly dangerous in case he hears elsewhere that knitting is a "girlie" thing to do. It helps that my dad used to knit (good ol' Catholic school, had him knitting up until 5th grade I think) and has mentioned it often to ds. Plus I let him read articles over my shoulder, and he's seen me read from "knits with balls" (but boy am I glad he didn't get the alternate meaning, he just sees a man knitting). Hopefully he and I will find enough projects that are cool :cool:

mommydearest
11-29-2007, 09:00 PM
It's great when a child learns anything but even better when it was taught by a relative. It gives more meaning for them, especially later in life.

I taught my ds to knit (cast on and knit but not purl yet). I want him to knit a few inches at least before that lesson. He is really good at casting on. I taught him to crochet a bit too but he hasn't gone beyond a chain, although I think he may be ready for the next step.

Let's hear it for the boys (and all kids)!!!!:yay: :yay: :yay:

Mary

Spokaloo
11-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Great to hear about all the boys out there learning to knit. I taught my 6-year nephew Hunter this fall using chopsticks! I just sharpened the tips in a pencil sharpener (not too sharp), sanded them down lightly, the wound rubber bands around the blunt ends. They worked out to be about a size 8 and are just about the perfect length for little hands! We cast on 16 stitches and he knits 1-3 rows every other day or so.

When I decided to teach him to knit, I researched some websites about kids knitting and found a "poem" that helps Hunter focus on the different steps: In through the front door, come round the back, out through the window and off jumps Jack! Once he had that memorized, he was off and running!

Now I have to figure out another "poem" to teach him how to purl!

WildMountainHoney
11-29-2007, 10:08 PM
My homeschool curriculum actually has a whole story that leads up to the knit stitch verse, and then a different purl verse. I can't give it to you (copyright and all that) but I can tell you that diving is involved, in case that gets you going ;) My ds is just too cute, reciting the verse as he goes (we also have them for finger crochet, finger knitting........heck, we have them math too - gotta love it!):yay:

D
11-30-2007, 01:35 AM
You've given me hope for my little one! Granted, at a nearly a month old, I still have a while to go til I can corrupt him in ways of knitting. Still, I found your story immensly sweet:)

mommydearest
11-30-2007, 06:24 AM
I subscribed to 501 Knitting Secrets at Annies Attic where I also subscribed to Creative Knitting Magazine. Here's the website to signup for their newsletter. (I don't know if there's a special way to make this a direct link so if anyone can tell me I will do it from now on.)

http://newsletters.drgnetwork.com/

A little ditty for teaching kids (or adults) to knit:
In through the front door,
Once around the back,
Peek through the window,
And off jumps Jack.

And another one for the knit stitch:
Under the fence,
Catch the sheep,
Back we come,
Off we leap.

Let's not forget purling:
In front of the fence,
Catch the goat,
back we go,
jump off the boat.

And casting off:
Knit yourself over,
Invite your friend, too,
Leap frog over,
Lie down, Sue.

from 501 knitting secrets: KnittingSecrets@DRGbooks.com

I tought my son the first one as well and he says it everytime he knits.

Mary

knitncook
11-30-2007, 10:40 AM
:cheering: That's great! What curriculum are you using that encourages knitting? I've never seen that before. Is it a Waldorf curriculum? We mostly unschool, but do lots of Waldorfy like things just because we enjoy them. All my kids know how to knit and it is fun to sit around the living room on those dark gray rainy days and just sit and knit while watching a movie or listening to music.

WildMountainHoney
11-30-2007, 11:20 AM
It's Waldorf inspired, called Enki www.enkieducation.org I am really enjoying it (this is our first year using it).

WildMountainHoney
11-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Shameless bump to show you the pic I took yesterday!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2118/2076539915_c4475608d1.jpg