PDA

View Full Version : how's the $1.99 sock yarn from knitpicks?

mooshie
11-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm sooo tempted to order some of the $1.99 sock yarn on knitpicks, but I'm wondering if anyone has used it? this would be for my first pair of socks, and I want them to turn out well.

so, have you used it? how do you like it? any other comments on sock yarn? or where's your favorite place to get sock yarn?

I got my needles about 10 mins ago! :woot: and I'm itching to try them out!

thanks for any/all input!

DorothyDot
11-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I don't know specifically about the yarn species you mention, but I personally am not adverse to using the cheapest yarn I can!

There's only one brand I've ever, ever been even slightly disappointed in... and that's Red Heart's knitting worsted. Used to be really good, but lately the quality seems to have slipped.

Otherwise, I've found all the sock/baby/sports weight yarns to be certainly of durable quality and fine to work with.

Dot

Lisa R.
11-29-2007, 05:36 PM
I bought some for my first sock. I started knitting and got about 3 inches into it before realizing I'd messed up the pattern and had to frog. However, from that bit, it was easy to work with, and the part I did manage was nice looking (except for the pattern errors,which had nothing to do with the yarn).

I haven't finished the sock, and so I haven't worn it.

Kime
11-29-2007, 06:45 PM
If you are refering to Palette, I haven't used it for socks but I have knitted some swatches with it and I like it. It is a feltable wool so you can't throw it in the dryer.

Doublereeder2
11-29-2007, 11:12 PM
I haven't tried it but I do love their Essentials sock yarn.

GiddyKnitter
11-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Hi Mooshie

I haven't used that sock yarn either but I say that if it's your first pair of socks anyhow I would give it a go...you may be pleasantly surprised!! If you don't like it them you haven't lost much. Then when you have the sock bug you can try all the other sock yarns available. Good luck x

Silver
11-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Palette is a nice yarn, but I personally wouldn't use it for socks. My number one rule when selecting sock yarn is that it has to be machine washable. Palette is not. It's 100% wool, and Highland wool at that, which is not the softest stuff.

Socks get stinky and sweaty and I really don't want to have to handwash my socks. I might make an exception if it's a super luxury yarn, but I haven't yet and every sock I've ever knit has been machine washable.

Your best bet at Knit Picks is Essential. It costs a little more, but you'll get more use out of the socks. Of course, this is just my opinion, and if you have no issues with handwashing your socks, go for the Palette! :thumbsup:

knitncook
11-30-2007, 09:36 AM
As Silver said, it isn't handwashable. I have one pair of socks knit with Palette which I love the look of, but were knit on too big of a needle. It really needs a much smaller needle (as small as you can comfortable work with the yarn) to make a denser fabric. I used a size 2 needle and they are pull apart at places like the decreases for the toes, the gusset and the bottoms felted after only a few wearings. They are lovely soft socks, but they are falling apart. I plan on making some more socks with some more than I have, but plan on using a much smaller needle (size 1 or 0 even) in order to get a denser fabric. They are very comfy to wear, though and may keep wearing them as bed socks. It's sad to put that much effort into a pair of socks to have them wear out after only 2 wearings. :(

dustinac
11-30-2007, 10:56 AM
I made my illusion cat socks from it... I didn't have any problems with it... it did feel soft to me but I'm not one that finds wools itchy to much... you do have to handwash it though... I used a size 1 on them :thumbsup:

Lisa R.
11-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Silver, is there anything in particular you would recommend the Palette for? I chose it for my first socks, mainly because it was CHEAP, and I didn't want to destroy a lot of money along with my yarn if I had issues with it (I've done mini-stocking ornaments and felted slippers, but no *real* socks).

Anyway, supposing I upgrade to washable sock yarn, what would be good to make with the Palette?

Silver
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Palette is a fantastic deal for small gauge knits, fair isle and color work, and anything you don't mind hand washing. Mittens, hats, sweaters... Socks too really, so long as you know you have to hand wash them.

Ellieblue
11-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree with Silver - I made a sweater with Palette and was really pleased with the way it turned. Right now I am experimenting with this yarn on a needlework project and it seems to work just fine,(a lot cheaper than regular needlepoint yarn too):star:

suzeeq
11-30-2007, 12:18 PM
I've made a scarf/shoulder wrap with Palette and a lace strand together; it's a very nice yarn. You could use it by itself or double stranded for scarves, hats, handwarmers...