PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been Yarning?

speattle
11-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Knitting and/or crocheting?

I was taught to knit by my Grandma Brick in 1962 when I was 7. She died a few months later, but she left me with a wonderful gift and wonderful memories of our time together. I still have one of my original needles.

My Other grandmother, Grams, kept me up on it and taught me crochet when I was in high school. I also had a wonderful home ec teacher in HS who would let us select our own projects and they could be any kind of needle craft or sewing.

Anyway, I was looking in my senior yearbook and found 2 pictures of me in the candids. In one of them, I have some kind of WIP (crocheting) and in the other I am wearing a blouse that I lace crocheted. (Probably the item I am working on in the first picture). In the picture where I am wearing the blouse, I also have on a skirt I sewed. I was a little bit Hippie-dippy in HS, so the photos are kind of funny. But it shows how I was Hooked long ago and not afraid to knit in public even back as a teen ager in 1973.

http://images.costcophotocenter.com/232323232%7Ffp%3A%3A%3Dot%3E2326%3D797%3D75%3C%3DX ROQDF%3E2323%3A%3A%3B385638ot1lsi
http://images.costcophotocenter.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B6%3Dot%3E2326%3D797%3D75%3C%3DXRO QDF%3E2323%3A%3A%3B395952ot1lsi

Jan in CA
11-29-2007, 08:21 PM
How fun to see the pictures! I've only been knitting for 2 yrs and I'm almost 55.

Knitting_Guy
11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
I've only been knitting about a year.

cindycactus
11-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Great pictures. :woot: I was taught by my mother when I was about 8 years old. I am 65 now.

mommydearest
11-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Knitting - 6 months but I learned to crochet in elementary school, can't remember how old I was but I'm 42 now. Both of my Grandmothers crocheted but neither taught me more than the regular dbl, tpl chains. My mom's mom made some beautiful doilies and afghans - I really wanted to learn how to do those but never did. I still can't do more than regular stitches with a crochet hook but I keep trying.

Mary

mhansen
11-29-2007, 08:57 PM
I've known how to knit and crochet at 10 years old. I won't say how old I am but I've known how for about 35 to 40 years. I never really knew how to make anything I just knew how to knit and purl. I crocheted most of that time and have taken up knitting again in the last year.

Mulderknitter
11-29-2007, 09:28 PM
I wish I had photos like those! Even if you never knit another stitch, those photos are priceless!:muah:

knitgal
11-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Those pictures are adorable!
I'm 22 and I've been knitting about a year and a half. I actually learned in high school, but then I didn't have any one to continue my teaching, so I just left it. My aunt re-taught me last summer, and I've been knitting like crazy ever since!

GiddyKnitter
11-30-2007, 08:17 AM
My mum taught me when I was about 8yrs old. But didn't start to knit properly until I was about 23yrs old. I haven't stopped since and I am 53yrs now!!!

laptop_knitter
11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
3 years on Boxing Day this year, my Gran taught me. She lived on her own so I'd call her up every week with a question or two.

knitncook
11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I thought it was something really cool. I wanted to learn to knit, but my mom kept telling me it was too difficult. Finally when I was 11 she taught me for one of my Girl Scout badges. I never ventured far from simple knit, purl and k2 or p2tog's for a very long time. About 7 years ago I decided I wanted to learn some more difficult stitches because knitting was "boring." So I picked up a dishcloth book and went to town. I fell in love with cables and lacey things. Then about 4 years ago I wanted to learn to make socks. Something my mom never made because she doesn't like how "pebbly" hand knit socks feel on her feet. She also doesn't understand paying $18+ for yarn for socks when you can go to Target and buy Perfectly Good Socks for only $3 a pair. And they take too long to make! My mother has a quite pessimistic view of knitting for some reason. She used to knit some of the loveliest things, but the last thing she started knitting she has yet to finish and she started it when my now 12yo was 5! She doesn't understand knitting things that can be purchased for less than the yarn alone costs. Why pay $100 for yarn when you can buy a pre-made sweater for only $30? I keep wondering if this was the same cool mom that I grew up with!

Lisa R.
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I've been knitting for a little over a year. Never would have learned if my now 10yo dd hadn't been so insistent that I teach her!

Now, it's a cool thing for us to share, so "special" time with her is easier to find. With 9 kids, I need to find a little "oasis" of one-on-one time for each of them pretty often, and a common interest makes it that much more special.

My 14 and 7 yo are finally showing an interest...of course if everybody gets TOO interested, they're going to have to get jobs to buy their own yarn!!!:teehee:

Silver
11-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I've been knitting about 7 years, or almost 7 years.. something like that. I'm self taught, and never knew any other knitters or crocheters. Ever since I developed my love for knitting, I've been trying to convert the world, one person at a time. That's why I'm now a knitting teacher. :teehee:

Ellieblue
11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
My mother taught me to knit when I was about 8 years old. (76 now). I remember she used the norwegian purl which I thought was very inefficient so I brought the yarn to the back and thought I had invented something new until I saw Amy's vidio. I tought myself the other needlecrafts; crochet ,,tatting, needlepoint, macrame' Ellie

speattle
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
"I've been knitting for a little over a year. Never would have learned if my now 10yo dd hadn't been so insistent that I teach her!"

It is such a special bond between a mother and daughter. My dd asked me to teach her when she was 19. Now she is 23 and knits the most beautiful afghans like nobody's business! I'm so proud of her.

Plantgoddess+
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Like you I started in high school about 1970. I still have some crochet clothing patterns from that time period. I crocheted for about 10 years (mainly afghans) for every family member and got the hankering to make clothing and therefore felt the need to learn to knit. Bought a basic how to knit book and taught myself. I'm now in mid-fifities and knitting more than ever.

Abbily
11-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Great pictures!

My grandma taught me to knit when I was a kid, but beyond the ugly grey scarf I worked on when she taught me, I never made anything else until this past January when I retaught myself so I could sit and knit while visiting her in the nursing home. She passed on in June, but left me with a wonderful talent! I sometimes think she's still helping me with it. :)

Cristy
11-30-2007, 12:44 PM
about 3 years for me--or is it 4 now? I really can't remember--3 I think. My sister attempted to teach me about 6 or 7 years ago b/c my niece was attending a waldorf school and they use knitting as one of the hands on learning activities within their curriculum--I didn't pick it up when she taught me--I got it, but didn't enjoy it. She was teaching me the american method. When I REALLY started knitting was when I picked up the continential method on my own. Now I knit daily although I find that I'm more of a process than product knitter. I love to se FOs but I'm just happy to sit there and knit!!!

chrislt8
11-30-2007, 01:23 PM
What great pictures! "Peace, flower child" !

I started knitting this past March - primarily self taught and in love with this craft! How I wish I had discovered this many, many years ago...no knitters in my family or circle of friends. My grandmother crocheted-beautiful work-intricate lace table cloths, etc., but she passed when I was still a teenager and I hadn't developed any interest in hand crafts yet, so I missed an opportunity to learn from her.

Great thread!

scout52
11-30-2007, 02:36 PM
I learned when i was 13 (i had developed migraines and the doctor recommeded to find a something that was stress relieving so my mother took me to a LYS to learn how to knit) for several years and then stopped.

and when I went to law school I picked it up again as i remembered how relaxing it was for me and I needed a stress reliever so I have been knitting ever since. and I'm 30 now.

I still remember my first project. My aunt was having her second baby and i made my little cousin a cute little vest in baby pink with little hot pink hearts in the front. She looked so cute in it. My aunt loved it. She still has it packed up nice so Alicia can use it for her children. She used it all the time but basically wrapped Alicia up whenever she fed her so it wouldn't get stained. :)

Becky Morgan
11-30-2007, 03:45 PM
I honestly can't remember for sure when I started to crochet--I was 7 or 8 and picked it up from a booklet someone had left around, with what was probably one of my deceased grandma's hooks. After a year or so, my neighbor's grandma gave me a book of stuffed animals to crochet. I still have it (thank you, Mrs. Tollett!) Later on, my sister's MIL used to crochet all the time, and she showed me double crochet, which had escaped me till then.

As far as knitting, I tried that for the first time when I was...ummm, lemme think...11and decided I needed a Fair Isle sweater. I knitted on the school bus and got razzed, but too bad! By the time it was finished, it was too tight, but it's still upstairs. After better than fifteen years, the light finally clicked on that you're supposed to turn the work around at the end of a row and not just knit back left-handed. That sped things up considerably :D but being able to knit in both directions does come in handy.

cftwo
11-30-2007, 04:02 PM
My grandmother displayed for YEARS a piece I made with yarn needle and yarn when I was about 3. Think modern string art on polyester fabric. I don't know if she still has it. That was 33-34 years ago.

I remember doing spool knitting pretty young - under 7, certainly. I don't remember when I graduated to knitting and crocheting. I know I was doing both by the time I was 12ish.

CountryKitty
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Love those photos! http://forum.pcastuces.com/images/smile_peaceandlove.gif

I learned basic crochet back in the 3rd grade, and knitting at 18. I'm 38 now, and have the 2 cutest little gran'boys to make stuff for!

LOL, after I made a couple of rip-off crocodile scarves, my 17yo daughter decided she absolutlely MUST have a dragon scarf!

BlueEyezz
12-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I am 25 years old and have only been knitting for...a little over 2 months and I am hooked, I believe, for life. My hunger for knowledge and new techniques is growing my the minute. :) My ex-roommate taught me how to do a basic garter stitch scarf and the rest I've learned online, pretty much self-taught. I'm proud of myself. Lol. . .

I once trying to learn how to crochet, with my grandmother's and a book's help a few years ago (I was in a car accident and broke my pelvis and was going to be sitting around for a couple of months -- I needed something to do!). But I hated it more than anything. I couldn't do it and was confused out of my mind.

I heard that some people are good at one or the other, not both. Not sure if that's true, but it was true for me!