PDA

View Full Version : Fed Up.

katiebug081504
11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
:hair: ARGHH! I'm so effin tired of SOCKS! I just don't get them. I bought two great books (or at least I thought) - Knitting Vintage Socks and Favorite Socks (Interweave). I decided to knit everyone a pair of socks for Christmas - between 5 - 7 pair depending on the time. I have one pair officially complete. It's supposed to be 9.5" from the heel flap to the toe, but it's .5" shorter. However, it still fits my boyfriend perfectly (and myself, who wears a size 8 in womans), who wears the same size shoe as my dad, whom the sock is for. Now, this is what I don't get. Men who wear a 10 to 11 should need a sock that is 10.69 to 11 inches long according to this chart (http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/a/men_inches.htm).

So here is my dilemma. My sister wears something along the lines of a 9 to 10. What size sock do I need to knit for her? There are so many patterns in the books that are "for woman" but the length of the sock is less that 8"! Are these socks just super stretchy, or is the woman's chart wrong? How do you experienced sock knitters handle this. Some patterns say to make the sock bigger use a bigger needle size and make the foot longer, but then what if the sock is too loose?

I'm really ready just to throw all of this down and say "to hell with present making!"

Help Please! I don't know if my rant was clear...but I'm just frustrated with socks.

angel4ever
11-29-2007, 11:35 PM
:hug: :hug: I'm just posting to say I feel your pain. I have attempted to knit a pair of socks on three occasions and I have not gotten past the heel flap as of yet. I hope that you will eventually be able to knit the socks that you want without being overly frustrated.

Good luck! :hug: :hug:

mommydearest
11-30-2007, 06:32 AM
I've had the same problems with socks. They frustrate me so I'm not worrying about them until after Christmas.

Could you make scarves instead?

Good Luck

Mary

Silver
11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I hear the size question more than any other regarding my sock tutorials. If I could just get people to not worry so much about the precise size, I'd be happy. You only have to get close.

The standard rule that I follow is you should begin the toe decreases (or heel if you're working a toe-down sock) when the sock is about 2 inches shorter than the intended foot. For example, an average woman's size 8.5 foot is about 9 inches long (give or take), so I knit until it's 7 inches long before working the toe or heel. I add about 1.5 - 2 inches for a man's foot.

But socks are very stretchy and you have some leeway. A half inch in either direction is not going to render your sock worthless. Even a 1 inch difference is tolerable. Your sock will be fine. Socks aren't a precise fit anyway... ever notice how store bought socks come in sizes like "fits sizes 6 - 10"? That's a big margin, but it goes to show that socks are stretchy and fit a wide range of feet. Even hand knit socks.

If your finished socks just aren't fitting anyone, it's your yarn choice, NOT the size. Socks MUST be stretchy, and knit from a yarn with a good amount of bounce. They either need a fair bit of wool or have elastic added. 100% acrylic is going to stretch out no matter how perfect the original size is. Same with 100% cotton. That's why there is the yarn classification "Sock Yarn". It does make a difference.

Hope this helps! Don't give up on socks. They really are the ultimate little knitting project! (But then, I may be a tad biased.) ;)

Nobones
11-30-2007, 08:22 AM
I feel your pain! :hug: I've 'turned my heel' and now cannot get my brain around 'the gusset'. At this rate they'll have ONT as long if not longer than my dressing gown!

shifio
11-30-2007, 08:51 AM
i made a pair of socks as a school project and made a pair of kilt socks, i really enjoy knitting on 4 needles but have only done it twice

knitncook
11-30-2007, 09:14 AM
One thing to remember is that socks do stretch some, so if it is a bit shorter than you think, don't panic! Silver gave you some great advice and she is the Sock Queen :notworthy:

Plantgoddess+
11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I agree with the others, don't sweat exact measurements on length. Every pair I have made have been usable. They get more attractive with practice, but every pair has been wearable and comfortable. I used to knit work socks for hubby when he was a railroader and outdoors all winter.

Knitting_Guy
11-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Ya just keep knitting the foot a bit more than the pattern calls for, and then start the toes. Silver knows her stuff.

dustinac
11-30-2007, 03:23 PM
:thumbsup: I also agree...hang in there and don't give up :happydance: