PDA

View Full Version : My Speech on Fair Isle

redheadrachel
11-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey everyone! I know that a while ago I mentioned that I was going to give a speech on Fair Isle knitting, and I wanted some tips to make it not very boring. 3-5 minutes of speaking about a particular knitting technique to a bunch of university students is kind of an ambitious task, especially because I could have chosen any topic.
Well I was determined to teach people about this, and show them that it's fun and exciting and worth hearing about. And I am a fairly confident public speaker, which definitely helps. So, I gave the speech today and... I think it went really well! I discussed FI, what makes it different from other styles of knitting, a brief talk of its history and importance in Scotland, and its use today. I also showed one of my Elizabeth Zimmermann Color Pattern Practice hats.
In the class, everyone writes you a little comment card to tell you how you did, what to improve on, what they liked, etc. I want to share some of the comments with you all! :D

-I liked your topic! (About 10 or 15 people, of a 24 person class, specifically wrote that they liked my topic or it was very interesting, which is sooo encouraging!)
-I *heart* sweaters!
-I can tell you are passionate about the subject.
-Very informative, great information to learn!

-And my absolute favorite comment of all: "I'm going to go to Fare Island and get a sweater! Thank you!"

So, see? If you share great information in a fun way, even non-knitters are excited to learn about all the cool stuff we knitters are into. Very positive experience! Knit on :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
11-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Excellent! :yay: Maybe you've even created some new knitters! :thumbsup:

Plantgoddess+
11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you may have planted a seed that hopefully will bloom in the future. Great job!:cheering:

Abbily
11-30-2007, 02:53 PM
LOL Fare Island! :) Great job on your speech!

lelvsdgs
11-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a resounding success! And perhaps a few more knitters were born.

Knitting_Guy
11-30-2007, 03:05 PM
:thumbsup:

The.Knitter
11-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Way to go! Perhaps a male knitter will spring from your topic??? Even if it doesn't happen, at least they now know that knitting is time consuming and the end results are definitely worth all the effort that went into them. Keep up the good work and spread the word!

ArtLady1981
11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Congrats little redhead! :waving: What a wonderful contribution! I would have enjoyed being in the audience! I coulda learned a few things! Well done! :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
11-30-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm glad it went well, it's always hard to present a topic when only you of all the audience are interested in it. So i'm happy that you got sp many good replies:woot:I'm sure someone there is going to start knitting!

kemp
11-30-2007, 05:25 PM
What a great topic. Definitely makes speech class more interesting :)

mks22300
11-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Great job, I'm glad it went well! :thumbsup:

amy
11-30-2007, 08:03 PM
What a great topic. Definitely makes speech class more interesting :)
My thoughts exactly! It makes me think I could like school again.

It sounds like you had fun and so did your classmates. :thumbsup:

dustinac
11-30-2007, 10:00 PM
:happydance: I'm glad it went well!! Great job:happydance:

redheadrachel
12-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks, everyone!:muah:

Ingrid
12-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Good for you! Even if nobody who heard the speech ever learns to knit, they'll always know what it is. They can even walk up to someone and ask if they're wearing Fare Isle!