PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr, Removing Lint?

Knitting_Guy
11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I washed one of the hats I'd made recently so as to even out the stitches and all that jazz. The washing did make everything look nice and even but my black hat came out of the wash covered in a bunch of light colored lint. Grrrrrrrr.

I washed it all by it's lonesome so I know it didn't come from anything else in the wash. How in the world am I going to get all this lint off the thing? Is it now a total loss?

Jan in CA
11-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Maybe a lint roller or a sweater shaver would work. :shrug:

Lighting57
11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
I've learned that a very fine toothed rat tail comb is great at removing lint on sweaters that are flat. You an get one at a beauty supply store. Maybe Wal-Mart has one too. If your hat has cables, etc. the comb might not work well on it. Otherwise, I guess you will have to hand pick the lint off, maybe in your free time when you aren't knitting.

Mariblue
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
I have a Sweater Stone (http://www.knitpicks.com/Sweater+Stone_AD80276.html) that I got from Knit Picks, and it works great. They also have battery powered lint shaver that they sell.

jcmom
11-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Yep, those lint shavers are great. I just wish I knew where to buy one since mine died. I've also used a comb, but it's tedious. Frustrating...........

yarnrainbow
11-30-2007, 10:13 PM
If all else fails, feel free to send it to me. My three-year-old DGD absolutely LUVS to pull "fuzz" off of stuff. She practically denudes anything I make for her! :roll:

It started when she was a baby. I made her several crochet blankets and she always had to have one to go to sleep. Apparently, she'd pull at it until fuzz came off, hold the fuzz in her right hand, stick her left thumb in her mouth and fall asleep immediately. No blankie (i.e., no fuzz), no sleepy! Drove her Mom nuts!! (Must say I secretly loved it...my baby loves her Nana's gifts!!).

Anyway, as I said...if all else fails, feel free to send it to me. I'll bet she'll have it stripped bare of any "fuzzies" in no time. :rofl:

kblue
11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
LINT SHAVER!!!!! Those things are awesome. it abosolutely changes the look of your knitting. you can find them at some craft stores like Joanns by the sewing stuff or I bought mine from a Target in the laundry section.

HollyP
11-30-2007, 11:39 PM
I have an electric lint shaver that I found at Walmart.It works really well.

Yarnrainbow, your GS sounds like my3 y.o. cousin. She does the exact same thing! I'll have to her mom she's not the only one!

auburnchick
12-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I got my lint shaver at Michael's for a very decent price.

cmk
12-01-2007, 12:12 AM
I've used tape to remove lint - wrap a layer around your 4 fingers and and move the tape around when it's not picking up any more lint. (I hope my explanation makes sense!) Good luck.

Carolyn

KnitClickChick
12-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I have to agree with those little battery operated shavers. I use mine all the time and it works great, plus they are really inexpensive. I got mine at the grocery store for $2.

Knitting_Guy
12-01-2007, 09:21 AM
If all else fails, feel free to send it to me. My three-year-old DGD absolutely LUVS to pull "fuzz" off of stuff. She practically denudes anything I make for her! :roll:

It started when she was a baby. I made her several crochet blankets and she always had to have one to go to sleep. Apparently, she'd pull at it until fuzz came off, hold the fuzz in her right hand, stick her left thumb in her mouth and fall asleep immediately. No blankie (i.e., no fuzz), no sleepy! Drove her Mom nuts!! (Must say I secretly loved it...my baby loves her Nana's gifts!!).

Anyway, as I said...if all else fails, feel free to send it to me. I'll bet she'll have it stripped bare of any "fuzzies" in no time. :rofl:

:rofl:

cindycactus
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I bought a set at Walmart a couple months ago. I love the large one as it has a wide head and works great. I had a couple sweaters that came out of the wash covered in lint and this shaver took care of every bit.:inlove:

Knitting_Guy
12-01-2007, 09:55 PM
I bought a new shaver today. Works like a charm.

Thanks y'all. :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
I bought a new shaver today. Works like a charm.

Thanks y'all. :mrgreen:

:thumbsup: And here you thought the only thing you'd have to shave was your chin. And even then not the whole year. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
:thumbsup: And here you thought the only thing you'd have to shave was your chin. And even then not the whole year. :teehee:

:rofl:

I won't be shaving the chin at least until Spring, if then. I've been considering letting it grow to see how long it gets before reaching terminal length. Gandalf anyone?

Limey
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi

Like CMK, I use tape. Wide duct tape is great for when someone, who will remain anonymous, leaves a tissue in his shirt pocket and then chucks said shirt into washing machine.

I must admit though that he's literally a dab hand now at getting the shredded white paper off the rest of the laundry before it's washed and rinsed again!

It's also great for removing cat hair from cushions and the curtains after Harry and Hatty have perched on the windowledge each morning, checking that no one has made off with the front garden during the night.

Yours, sticking up for myself.

Ellie
http://www.countonknit.com

sinistral_needler
12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Personally I would just use duct tape to lift off the fuzz. Glad to hear that the shaver worked tho!