PDA

View Full Version : Felted bag with handles attached incorrectly, what would you do?

katiebug
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
So I was hurrying at 1:30 this morning to finish my 1st felting project & attached the handles so that they cross over the opening of the bag, instead of attaching each handle on it's own side. There are gussets at the bottom so you can't really just rotate it to make it work. It's for one of those gift exchange parties where everyone brings a gift untagged & you pick out of the pile.
Should I still take it & offer to make another one with correct handle placement for the recipeint? or do I just say, hey it was my 1st attempt - live with it, or bring something else completely? It's a family party, just aunt's & female cousins and we're encouraged to bring hand made items.
thanks!

wandersfar
11-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Don't call any attention to it, but if someone notices, call it a "design feature" and leave it at that. :)

Knitting_Guy
11-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't call any attention to it, but if someone notices, call it a "design feature" and leave it at that. :)

My thoughts exactly. It's a unique and original design. :thumbsup:

marykz
11-30-2007, 07:07 PM
if it really bugs you , cut off the handles, then attach new ones, either felted icord or purchased handles.... but, hey- I'd call it a designer original, one of a kind, couture bag.

Spokaloo
11-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Go ahead and take it. Show them what you did and you can all have a good laugh. Anyone who's done any kind of crafting knows how easily these types of boo-boos can occur.

Or better yet, tell them it's a design feature to.... uh, foil pickpockets.... help keep the contents safe.... ? See how long you can keep a straight face before you 'fess up!

katiebug
11-30-2007, 10:36 PM
:) Thanks!

Yarnlady
12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
The only way anyone is going to know it wastn't designed that way is if you tell them. So don't tell them. I've seen bags designed that way....

Lisa R.
12-01-2007, 11:33 AM
If you can still get stuff in and out, I'd leave it...as Yarnlady says, I've seen them designed that way, too.

If you haven't felted it yet, could you unattach the handles and reattach them?

I did a bag recently where I did sort of the same thing (actually just lined it up wrong from the beginning)...Mine had a flap that was supposed to close with a button, so I just frogged the flap and left it with off-center handles. Voila! My first knitting design! :)

shellieg
12-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey,
Don't despair...I did the very same thing on the first bag that I felted! I cut the handles off using a razor blade. Then I felted 4 small squares out of the same color yarn (the finished size was about 1 x 1). Then I sewed the felted squares to the inside of the bag where the handles should be go. Then I attached the handles to the felted squares. I came out really well and had a nice finished look on the inside.
Good luck!