PDA

View Full Version : Is this too cheesy?

HollyP
12-01-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm asking because I know you all will give me an honest answer! I am at a complete loss as to what to give my bro for Christmas. I knit a sweater for his dog. I have 2 skeins of the yarn left over. Would it be cheesy to make him something with the same yarn? I was thinking of making at least a hat for the cold winter morning walks he'll be taking now that he has a dog. I love the yarn and the color will look great on both the dog and my DB.I'm just not sure if the owner matching the dog or vice versa is cute or creepy. Please help me decide! Thanks!!

Lady Violet
12-01-2007, 12:32 AM
does your brother have a good sense of humor? what color yarn are you using? i think it mostly depends on his personality. if it's a nice "guy color," he can wear it whenever (kind of like a good pair of jeans).

Jan in CA
12-01-2007, 12:48 AM
To be honest... I think it would take certain type of person to wear something matching their dogs sweater. You know him best so go with your gut. You can always get different yarn and make him something.

brittyknits
12-01-2007, 12:52 AM
I would think it was great, if he were me. But as the others said-- it depends on the yarn and his sense of humor. . .

Ingrid
12-01-2007, 12:53 AM
I don't think it's cheesy, but I have to agree with Jan. Some people would proudly match their dogs, but it takes a certain personality to do that. You know him better than we do.:shrug:

Of course, he doesn't have to wear it while walking the dog--he could only wear it when the dog is naked.

gargoylelib
12-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Of course, he doesn't have to wear it while walking the dog--he could only wear it when the dog is naked.

:roflhard: Naked dogs....*sigh* I needed a good laugh!

I personally think it would be a bit silly to have matching accessories with your dog but that is just me...it is definitely a matter of
personal taste! :)

Libbie

beckyrhae
12-01-2007, 03:12 AM
To be honest... I think it would take certain type of person to wear something matching their dogs sweater. You know him best so go with your gut. You can always get different yarn and make him something.

The certain type of indiviual ... I love that. I once had a neighbor, he and his rotund chi always wore matching sweaters. They were so cute. I loved seeing them & I honestly think he loved the attention.

ArtLady1981
12-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Make the hat! If he isn't feeling matchy, he can wear another hat when it's the dog's turn to wear the sweater! It will still be a nice hat. Just don't mention to him that they "match". I mean, it's not like you are making him a SWEATER out of the same yarn. It's just a hat!

:happydance:

vaknitter
12-01-2007, 04:30 AM
If your brother is half as observant as my brother he won't even notice the hat matches the dog sweater until someone points it out to him !

Karrying Kolor
12-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi!

You might want to check this out at your local book store or library to help you decide! :)

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/14670000/14670749.JPG (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/imageviewer.asp?ean=9781579908744&z=y)

The.Knitter
12-01-2007, 06:59 AM
I think you should go for it. He is a MALE, so he won't notice that they "match". Even if he does notice, he will think it's funny. Go with your gut, but I think that you should "get her done"! LOL

dustinac
12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I agree too that some don't care to match...while others wouldn't... my dh wouldn't but he would still wear the hat just not with the dog in the sweater:teehee: ...so I also agree with making the hat and letting him choose rather to wear it with his dog matching or wearing it on his own...either way he will love the time and effort you spent in the hat/sweater :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
12-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I think you should go for it. He is a MALE, so he won't notice that they "match". Even if he does notice, he will think it's funny. Go with your gut, but I think that you should "get her done"! LOL

Hey! I resemble that remark!

HollyP
12-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the great replies! I know he will notice it is the same yarn he's very detail oriented. Actually a lot of his frined claim he is a woman. His poor wife has to put up with a lot of grief from them. lol
I think I have decided to knit him the hat and see time wise if I knit him anything else. I still can't believe how Christmas has snuck up on me this year! Last year I had finished all my Christmas knitting in Aug or Sept!

samm
12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I think male knitters (and crocheters) should be exempted from that statement!!! LOL 'Specially you, Mason! samm

feministmama
12-01-2007, 09:25 PM
His poor wife has to put up with a lot of grief from them.

See I was thinking he was single and wearing matching hat and dog sweater would attract the ladies :eyebrow: