PDA

View Full Version : The REAL fun fur

KnitClickChick
12-01-2007, 08:23 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this? http://www.furyarn.com/main/

I'd like to make a muffler for myself, and this would be perfect. I know, I know... I have pets. I love animals. I do think it is kind of awful to raise/trap animals just for their fur... but it feels soooo nice! And, a lot of the fur this place gets comes from people whose living is made from trapping and selling the furs....they say it helps control the population......so it isn't that bad, is it? Anyone?

Silver
12-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Interesting but, I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not against wearing fur or leather, but this yarn is so stupidly expensive ($50 for FOUR yards of fox fur yarn??), it goes far beyond the realm of wearing fur for warmth and comfort. This is pure frivilous luxury. And I don't need or want something like that. :eyebrow2:

KnitClickChick
12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes, the cost is pretty outrageous. And you're right, it does seem frivolous. :aww: And I would probably never use a stupid muffler anyhow. Silver, thank you for being the voice of reason -- I can buy so much other yarn for $50!! Besides, I bet it sheds something awful. I have enough fur around here with 4 cats, I really don't need any more!!

saracidaltendencies
12-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Honestly, I don't use any animal fibers for knitting...Or anything for that matter. There are so many other non animal fibers that can be used that are soft and warm.

When I was in high school I wrote an article against dissection in schools and in doing my research I found out about so many of the horrors in the fur industry (and beyond) that it brought tears to my eyes.

The fur industry is a cruel one, far more than one would imagine.

Ingrid
12-03-2007, 12:37 AM
4 yards at $50; let's say 1000 yds for a sweater. That's a $12,500 sweater. And you have to make it yourself.

I'll take fiber from animals that you have to shave, tyvm.

Knitting_Guy
12-03-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm not an animal rights activist or anything, but I'm not sure I would want to use that. It just seems...unnecessary.