PDA

View Full Version : I broke my Speed Stix!

KnitClickChick
12-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I am making this

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/ProjectPrint?width=80&pid=e04973

This is supposed to be a quick project, however it is taking me weeks because I can only knit about 2 rows at a time. These giant needles make my hands ache! Anyway, I was pulling on the latest row, to even out the stitches, when the tip of the needle popped off. I put it back on, but now it gets loose and I have to keep pushing it back on. I guess this is going to take me even longer to finish now. I'm thinking I don't like the Speed Stix very much.

dustinac
12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I have a pair so I could make the fast afghan...but I haven't tried it...I didn't think I'd like them either :teehee: ...are you making the afghan for someone with a deadline? If your not enjoying it anymore (or have a deadline to meet) I'd prolly frog it and change needles/pattern that you would be happier with :happydance:

knitgal
12-01-2007, 09:42 AM
I made a throw with the speed stix and I didn't mind them. It took a little getting used to because you're knitting completely differently. Once you do get used to it, it's sort of fun!
Anyways, perhaps you could (carefully) glue the tip back on?

Mirl56
12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
can you super-glue it on?

Jan in CA
12-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not a big fan of knitting with bats myself, but some of the stuff they knit with them looks cool. Maybe you could super glue the end?

Lisa R.
12-01-2007, 05:28 PM
I would think if you were not even through your first project and it broke, then you got a defective needle and the company should replace it. Ioesn't help your current project, of course, but maybe you could put it on a stitch holder or something and return it to the store!

KnitClickChick
12-01-2007, 07:49 PM
can you super-glue it on?

:doh: Just call me air head

knitpurlgurl
12-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I have Speed Stix and also the size 35s. I have never found a real use for them. This pattern looks interesting. But I guess I am an idiot, because I'm a little confused by it. You sew a big afghan like rectangle, then tack it up to create armholes? :shrug:

inkaholic
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
If anyone's interested in trying out Speed Stix, BHGcatalog.com is offering an "Exclusive Afghan" from lion brand where the Speed Stix, 8 skeins of yarn, the pattern and a crochet hook for the fringe come for $44. I just ordered it to make a christmas gift for someone :)