PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic yarn questions

Ayla
12-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I had a quick couple of questions. I was planning on making a blanket for my hubby and me and I do not have allot of money. I was wondering if anyone knew how warm acrylic yarn would be? Also was wondering if anyone could suggest an easy pattern( but one that would keep me interested). Thanks for your time and co-operation!
~Ayla

suzeeq
12-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, acrylic can be warm. You could choose a fluffy yarn like Homespun, but be aware it needs to be knit with size 11s. Using a smaller needle can be very frustrating to say the least! That yarn needs a very simple garter st pattern, or stockinette with borders. I have an afghan I bought at the thrift store that's make from Caron's Simply soft; very soft, inexpensive and nice and warm. There are tons of blanket patterns around, check the http://www.dailyknitter.com/patterns.html or http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

Plantgoddess+
12-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I just finished an afghan with Red Heart Supersaver (bought on sale for 2-7oz skeins for $5) that cost about $13 with sales tax. It washed up nice and soft and is now on my sister's bed. Knit on size 10 needles. I also just finished 2 afghans made with Carons Simply Soft also bought on sale 2 for $5 at Michaels. They were knit one on a size 17 as per pattern and the other I dropped down to a 13. Those 2 were knit using 2 strands of yarn together. They used 6 skeins for a cost of $15 per afghan. They are nice and warm.
I would choose a pattern that is not open weave if warmth is primary. I did one for myself that is just k4p4 for 4 rows, then p4k4 for 4 rows and alternate. I think it's pretty and makes for mindless knitting while watching TV or listening to music. It's also easy to figure width desired for casting on.

ArtLady1981
12-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I like Caron's Simply Soft the best. Besides being soft, it has a great luster/soft sheen...and great colors.

I have had horrible experiences with Homespun. After washing a few times, it has HUGE "pilling" issues. Not everyone has had the same issues though. Homespun looks so pretty in the skein, and when first knit! But this is what happened to my blankie after multiple washings. I just don't have time to trim pills everytime I launder it. It is still warm though! Oh, and the fringe? Frayed and falling apart wispy ends!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2271.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2269.jpg

Knitting_Guy
12-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm a fan of Simply Soft too. I really enjoy working with it, it's inexpensive, and is warm.

mhansen
12-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I love Simply Soft.

boo1
12-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Caron's Simply Soft, Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn", and Vanna's Choice.

As for patterns, www.lionbrand.com lists a lot of patterns and designates a skill level for each. Also try www.knittingpatterncentral.com. You should be able to find something between those. :)

Happy knitting! :knitting:

Laura

debinoz
12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
"I Love This Yarn" or Bernat Super Saver. Caron Simply Soft is good, but I like BIG skeins of yarn!

HollyP
12-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I love simply soft! Depending on the pattern it can be nice and warm. I have a super saver aghan my Grams knit me about 5 years ago. It is warm and after it had been washed a few times it really softened up. She made a reversible cable afghan the looks exactly like Silver's palindrome scarf (only wider of course:teehee:).

miccisue
12-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I had a quick couple of questions. I was planning on making a blanket for my hubby and me and I do not have allot of money. I was wondering if anyone knew how warm acrylic yarn would be? Also was wondering if anyone could suggest an easy pattern( but one that would keep me interested). Thanks for your time and co-operation!
~Ayla

Check out coatsandclark.com When you get to their homepage, click on "free patterns". The next page will give you choices of knit, crochet, sewing, etc. When you click on "knitting" it takes you to another page where you can choose the type of project you want. There's one afghan made with "Light and Lofty" which is rated easy, and should work up real well. The "Light and Lofty" also washes up to be nice and soft - it's a bit rough to work with at the beginning because of all the sizing in it, but once through the washer and dryer, the difference is amazing. It's a super bulky yarn, so it should also knit up faster - it uses size 15 needles if I remember right.
Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's nothing like snuggling up under an afghan you've made yourself.

suzeeq
12-01-2007, 07:56 PM
coatsandclarkl.com

Only 1 `l' - coatsandclark.com

Yarn company sites have a lot of great patterns on them.

lelvsdgs
12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I am a new convert to Simply Soft. I also like Red Heart's Soft but it is a bit pricier.

miccisue
12-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Only 1 `l' - coatsandclark.com

Yarn company sites have a lot of great patterns on them.

Yeah, I caught the extra "l" and went in and edited it.....but for some reason the edited post didn't show up. Wonder what happened there? Apparently I don't have the editing thing down. LOL!

suzeeq
12-02-2007, 11:41 AM
When you go in to edit a post, click Save and it should change it.

annomalley
12-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm planning on doing an afghan in "I Love This Yarn". One of the ladies at my local knit night brought some last week and she's knitting a sweater out of it. She said it's very soft (which it is because she passed it around and we all got to touch it), and she also said it holds up well in the wash, too. I went up to Hobby Lobby the next night to get some, and the shelves that held this yarn were pretty much bare.

Now if Hobby Lobby would get some more in...

cristeen
12-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I like the feel of lion's homespun, but it does pill, and you cannot do fringe with it. I also have a problem with it shrinking a lot the first time it get washed. Don't know what's up with that. A regular plyed acrylic (not a boucle like Homespun) holds up a bit better. Also remember that after first wash it will usually soften a bit. I made a baby blanket for my son, that I wasn't too sure about because it felt a bit stiff, but a run through the wash and it was super soft.

Limey
12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi

Hmm - not sure which side of the 'pond' you're on. If you're in the UK, just hop down to your local market hall and they'll have a selection of acrylics in DK that won't break the bank.

Some local shops also sell discontinued shades and sometimes you can pick up 400g for about 3.00. Bradford-based Woolcraft are particularly good for selling discontinued stock - I picked up 800g of Aran weight for 6.50.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com is a good source of patterns and I'm sure other knitters could point you in the right direction. There's always someone knitting an Afghan round here.

All the Best
Ellie
http://www.countonknit.com

ladyjessica
12-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I love the Simply Soft, too. I'm making my first afghan with it right now and as I progress I put it over me and it's soo warm. I'd like to keep it for myself. :whistle:

I've made some smaller afghans with the Red Heart Super Saver, and it's ok, but the simply soft is so much nicer.

Hope this helps.

Jan in CA
12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Homespun is soft, but you can't see any stitch definition and if I'm going to all that hard work to knit I want to see it!

Caron Simply Soft is very soft and shows your hard work. ;) A few others that are nice..

Red Heart SOFT
Bernat Softee yarns
Vanna's Choice

Red Heart Super Saver is cheap, but be careful. It does get softer after washing, but still not as soft as others are even before washing. It also hurts my hands after knitting with it for awhile. IMO if you're going to make something big go for one of the others. :shrug: