PDA

View Full Version : Circular Needle Question

Miley384
12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey everyone. I was going to knit a pair of socks with silvers sock class. I had planned on doing the pattern with the DPN's, but I hadn't learned how to knit with them. So I got a pair of DPN's and I learned how to knit with them. I absolutuly HATED THEM! So I told myself I would do the pattern for one circular needle. My problem is that I don't know anything about them.

The pattern says I need a size one or size two circular needle. What size would be better for me, since I am new to circulars? Also, what length should I get it in? Any good yarn to knit it in besides worsted weight? Thanks, your help is much appreciated, Miley

Plantgoddess+
12-01-2007, 01:19 PM
How tightly do you knit. The variation in needle size has mainly to do with your tension. If you are a tight knitter and go with the size1 your finished sock will probably be too small. If you knit loose and choose the size2 your socks may be too big.
Knit a swatch (yech!) to see your gauge, then choose needles accordingly

Jan in CA
12-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Yes, a 1 or 2 is best for fingering weight yarn. And 32 inch or longer is the best length.

I'm sure there are some ML tutorials for socks so go for it!

Miley384
12-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't knit tight, I say I knit average. Not too night and not too loose.

Jan in CA
12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't knit tight, I say I knit average. Not too night and not too loose.

Then your best bet is to either do a guage swatch or just start knitting with the needle of your choice. If you don't like it you rip it out and start again with the other size. I started my last socks on a two and the fabric was too loose for my taste so I switched to size one.

Keep in mind though that some sock yarns are thicker than others so choose the yarn and see what the recommendation is and go from there. Mine said 1 or 2.

Newbie2Knitting
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, if you're a middle of the road type knitter, go with the above advice and knit that dreaded swatch to check your gauge before you begin. Also, the length of cord depends on whether you'd like to do the magic loop method or use two circular needles (this site has tutorial videos on both methods). If you do a ML, use a *much* longer cord - as Jan said, 32 or longer.