PDA

View Full Version : color trend in yarn buying

inkaholic
12-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm a fairly new knitter still trying to build up a stash and every time I consider buying some yarn to make something, it's always out of the same color, unless it's for someone who requested it be in a specific color. I have to restrain myself from buying tons of skeins of deep red yarn. Most of my clothes are black or blue, and I probably only own two or three red shirts. So why am I being pulled relentlessly towards red? Anybody else have this happen to them (keep buying in the same color scheme of yarn?)

suzeeq
12-02-2007, 12:52 AM
We all have favorite colors, or go through phases. Buy whatever catches your eye.

brendajos
12-02-2007, 01:51 AM
well my color pallette is the rainbow but I am a little ridiculous when it comes to color. I think you should buy what you are drawn to. Your eye is trying to get you to expand your color horizons, I say let it. If you are knitting with yarns and colors you are drawn to, you will truly enjoy the work! Go for the red!!!

debb
12-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I have very definite color preferences in clothes and initially my yarn stash reflected that but the more I knit, the more I'm drawn to colors I wouldn't normally be attracted to. I don't know if it's because most of my projects are accessories or if I'm actually seeing colors differently because of the knitting process.

Kime
12-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't build up too much of a stash of just one color. Buy enough to make one or two projects and make yourself wait until these projects are completely done before you allow yourself to buy more yarn. I always get tired of looking at a color by the time I am done with a project and I want to change colors. After you look at red for long enough to finish a project you may find other colors more interesting.

Knitting_Guy
12-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Although I prefer earth tones I buy what I think will look best for a specific project.

bip
12-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I always get tired of looking at a color by the time I am done with a project and I want to change colors.

Oh yes, me too. That's why I do each project out of a slightly different color purple, lol. Not really, but I do have an awful lot of purple in my stash. I have a sweater's worth of SWTC bamboo, Berrocco Suede, Microspun. Oh, and 8 skeins of Malabrigo in purple mystery. Plus a sweater's worth of SWTC Karaoke in Mermaid mix which is purple and dark turquoise (which is the other color I overuse). I am half way through assembling a sweater knit in a wine color (more red than purple, but still in the ball park).

threesmom
12-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I absolutely go through color phases. For the longest time, and still the majority of what I buy because I can't seem to help myself ;) , I had burgundies and purples. I've branched out into blues and greens now, and recently natural alpaca shades. It does make for the oppurtunity to do nice oddball projects - I'm planning some shawls and wraps with mine.

The way I figure it, if it's yarn, its good.:teehee:

mhansen
12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm also drawn to reds but red is my favorite color. I say buy red!!

Phaedra
12-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Buy what you like. I'm drawn to darker colorways, and mostly greens. But I'll take chances in sock yarn.

Firey Vixxen
12-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm a fairly new knitter still trying to build up a stash and every time I consider buying some yarn to make something, it's always out of the same color, unless it's for someone who requested it be in a specific color. I have to restrain myself from buying tons of skeins of deep red yarn. Most of my clothes are black or blue, and I probably only own two or three red shirts. So why am I being pulled relentlessly towards red? Anybody else have this happen to them (keep buying in the same color scheme of yarn?)

I know what you mean. most of what I wear is in darker, deeper shades, but I have a craving for some light yellow yarn to make a jumper!
Go with it. If you're really worried you won't wear a red jumper, make a cuddly red blanket, and see if it was a phase or a secert passion that knitting has pulled out of you. plus if you make a blanket you can mix different shades of red together so you on't get bored.