PDA

View Full Version : KnittingHelp Monthly Challenge - December

Braden
12-02-2007, 01:49 AM
This month's challenge will be a little different (I hope it's okay with AMy and the mods)

This month, how about we try to complete all the projects we started this year? But that, I mean finish all our WIPs so we can get a fresh start on the New Year, and make rom for all the new projects we'll be starting from our gift yarn! Come on, it'll be fun, and this actually will be a challenge!

If you don't want to do that, than how about Holiday Knitting? Knit projects with the theme of whatever holiday you choose to celebrate. I will go with options one and two, the second being Meg Swansen's Christmas stocking that she's knitting on Schoolhouse Press website.

I hope you have fun with this challenge(s). I'll be in every day to offer help and advice, and support.

Jan in CA
12-02-2007, 02:00 AM
It's a busy month for everyone so I think this is just fine, Braden. http://bestsmileys.com/christmas4/16.gif We can get started with a new theme for January. :thumbsup:

suzeeq
12-02-2007, 03:07 AM
Yeah, just today I decided to make my sons and their wives hats for Christmas.... :eyes: At least 3 of them will be using stash yarn though, maybe even all 4. Good thing hats only take a few hours...

AngMac
12-02-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm in. I will be casting on the Pick Up Sticks Poinsettia Wreath this week for a Xmas gift to my MIL.

robynbird
12-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm in too! :) i think it's a great idea Braden!

misha rf
12-02-2007, 09:30 AM
That sounds like a plan to me! I'm not doing much in the way of holiday knitting. I just got Oddball Blanket #1, and have to do that first, but then I'm planning on finishing up a couple of shawls that have been sitting here for a few months. I'm not planning on starting anything new (unless it's a wee traveling project). But if I can get those two shawls finished by the end of the month, I'll be happy!

dustinac
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM
:passedout: oh my have you seen my list below? that doesn't include a few things... I better get to clicking those needles :teehee: ...which would be a lot more if I turned the computer off...

I'll try my best :thumbsup:

Miley384
12-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Great Idea! I am totally in! I could use a little motivation to help finish some of my projects....*chuckle*

annomalley
12-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Count me in, too. I've got a a pair of socks that have been a WIP for a couple of months now.

jeanius80
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I am in! i figure I should list the WIPs i should finished (and a couple that are getting frogged)

:zombie:to finish:

moms swirl bee socks
dads clogs
moms palindrome scarf
my hairy wisp (50%)
my jaywalker scarf
a yellow hedgie
little yellow socks for my niece
:oo:to frog:

jasons vest
my Swan Lake stole:thud:yikes! i need to get knitting!!

heykaren
12-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Im DEFINITELY in!!!!!! Sounds like a great idea!!!! :thumbsup:

lelvsdgs
12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Me too... I don't have all that much but it will be a good motivator to try to get it all done...
Sweater-just have to knit the neck and seam
Doll for DD (haven't even started that one yet)
Scarf for a friend
something for a kid friend of mine... can't decide exactly what...:doh: Who am I kidding...

Shandeh
12-04-2007, 04:20 AM
I'm all for finishing my WIPs! :thumbsup:
Here they are:

Harry Potter "Gryffindor" Scarf for my hubby
Bulky Alpaca scarf for me
Wool Baby Sweater
Cushy Baby Blanket
Fair Isle Headband
Baby Boy Raglan Sweater
Red Ankle Socks for my son
Bulky Cardigan for me
Dream by Moonlight Shawl
Cabled Baby PulloverI don't think I'll be able to finish them all this month, but at least I can show what all I'm working on now! :teehee:

dustinac
12-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Here is my list... I don't have everything in my Sig

The Fablous Lace Cardigan
The Civil War Shawl (I won't be able to finish this one..I'm to the point where one round takes a little over an hour to do)
The Swan Shawl
2 of Silver's Scarves
Silver's Hat
Candy Cane Socks
Three Way Wrap
Beret that I finished but is back on needles cause it was to small
Dishrag
Baby Sweater
3 peek a boo mittens
mittens for me
cowl for me
and I still have needles empty :oo:

LadyB
12-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm in. OTN:

-Sailor's Rib sweater
-lace scarf
-plain socks
-bamboo clutch purse

Doesn't look like too much, so hopefully, I'll be able to finish them all.

Braden
12-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Well, I have a knit/purl sweater, which is extremely dark and needs a very good light to work by, but it's a fascinating knit.

Sheridan
12-04-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm in. I have a jacket for bubby, a golliwog that needs two arms, a hat for a friends daughter and that's it.

I also have a crocheted blanket that needs about 10 more squares, but crochet isn't counted, only knitting, right? :)

WshUpnASta
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Harry Potter Scarf

Braided Hat Pattern

Ascot Textured Scarf

Tennis Socks

*****Future Objects*****

Crochet Running Shoes Slippers

Little Lamb Sweater

Basic Mittens

Socks

Braden
12-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Glad it's a big hit!

WshUpnASta
12-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Glad it's a big hit!

Definitely, I always need a little nudge to get those ufo's done.

Shandeh
12-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Glad it's a big hit!
It's a PERFECT choice for the end of the year. :thumbsup:

annomalley
12-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Count me in, too. I've got a a pair of socks that have been a WIP for a couple of months now.

I finished the sock, so I'm going to change my item to Tubey. That one seems to be taking forever.

dustinac
12-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Here is my list... I don't have everything in my Sig

The Civil War Shawl (I won't be able to finish this one..I'm to the point where one round takes a little over an hour to do)
The Swan Shawl
2 of Silver's Scarves
Silver's Hat
Candy Cane Socks
Three Way Wrap
Dishrag
Baby Sweater
3 peek a boo mittens
mittens for me
cowl for me
and I still have needles empty :oo:

:woot: Candy Cane (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9073403@N06/2088485389/)socks are done!!:woot:

lostchyld
12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I have a Rainy Day scarf that's getting frogged and done again on larger needles in the hopes that I'll get a bit more length out of it.

I also have a My So-Called scarf that I'm working on, but a few more rows of the stitch pattern and I'm switching to stockinette for the bulk of the scarf. That should go more quickly.

There's also a pair of arm warmers for a friend. That needs swatching so I can figure out the appropriate size and make sure my cable pattern will work nicely. The arm warmers should take about two days to finish, allowing for breaks.

Sunny_Singer
12-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I completed one rug and I also completed my daughter's afghan.

I can't take photos at the moment, my camera needs new batteries and we are a bit short on cash, so I'll have to wait and post them later.

The rug is in mostly seed stitch, and was made in peaches and creme desert sand and desert sunset *2 cones of each color knitted together*.
The afghan, I used red heart super saver sunshine print ombre, then took red, yellow and orange softee chunky yarns to make broad stripes - each one brought out different colors in the sunshine print.
I had a five stitch garter edging on both sides, with seed stitch in the center, in like panels, with garter stitch sections to divide it some.

Shandeh
12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Congratulations, Sunny! :happydance:

ArtLady1981
12-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Ohhhh I love this idea! Now I am more motivated than ever to finish up my OTN's. Three down and three to go!

BORGHILD, you will remember, was our Cables Challenge back in August or September!

I have been taking too many knitting sidetrips! BORGHILD shoulda been done long before now. I have the sleeves to do...the easiest part! The boring part, I might add.

Thanks Braden! Inspiring!

jeanius80
12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I am in! i figure I should list the WIPs i should finished (and a couple that are getting frogged)

:zombie:to finish:
moms swirl bee socks
dads clogs-DONE!!!!12/07/07
moms palindrome scarf
my hairy wisp (50%)
my jaywalker scarf
a yellow hedgie
little yellow socks for my niece:oo:to frog:
jasons vest
my Swan Lake stole:thud:yikes! i need to get knitting!!
just wanted to update, i finished my dads clogs, and am going to felt them down tomorrow while i get started paiting my daughters room! :mrgreen:

ArtLady1981
12-08-2007, 03:56 AM
Wheeeee! Well, I have one project left!!! (BORGHILD) And I cast on for its Viking Cables cuffs tonight! They are well underway!
Hey, I have 12 skeins of the Louisa Harding yarn left...for the sleeves. I may have enough, afterall, for the cami/tank to go with!

I am blocking the sleeve seaming (small, wettish terry cloths on top) for the Central Park Hoodie, just to "set" them. Tomorrow I handstitch the zipper into place, and the CPH is ENTIRELY DONE! :woot:

And that's it! I will only have one WIP/OTN left! What a tremendous feeling of freedom! I feel like I'm single again...and on the prowl! :eyes:

Sunny_Singer
12-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Completed Rug : Desert Colors in Peaches and Creme Desert Sand and Desert Sunset

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/sunny_singer/Knitting/DesertRugPam002.jpg

Completed Rug : Peaches and Creme Lullabye ombre with light blue and cream

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/sunny_singer/Knitting/LullabyeRugTerry01007.jpg

I finished the first one on Sunday, Dec 3, and the second one about 30 minutes ago. :)

Now I just have 3 more rugs to complete LOL.

ArtLady1981
12-08-2007, 06:16 PM
[quote=Sunny_Singer;1019491]Completed Rug : Desert Colors in Peaches and Creme Desert Sand and Desert Sunset

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/sunny_singer/Knitting/DesertRugPam002.jpg

Completed Rug : Peaches and Creme Lullabye ombre with light blue and cream

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/sunny_singer/Knitting/LullabyeRugTerry01007.jpg

I finished the first one on Sunday, Dec 3, and the second one about 30 minutes ago. :)

I love to hear success stories! Inspiring! Way to go! :thumbsup:

dustinac
12-08-2007, 07:59 PM
The Swan Shawl
2 of Silver's Scarves
Silver's Hat
Candy Cane Socks finished
Three Way Wrap
Dishrag 7 out of 10 done
Baby Sweater frogged
3 peek a boo mittens
mittens for me now for mom :wall:
cowl for me
Roo's Jacket Set

LadyB
12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I just got my simple socks done! :cheering: 1 down, 3 to go.

Shandeh
12-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Yay! :cheering:

Jaxhil
12-10-2007, 06:00 PM
wow, everyone's FO's look great! I love those simple socks, LadyB-what pattern is that, I wouldn't mind having a pair of those :teehee:

I'd like to join! I have:

a sweater for my 9yr old DS;
an afghan for my very tall hubby,
a traveling vine scarf;
lace scarf I started YEARS ago and didn't get much past row three, lol.

That's all I can think of! oh and a pair of spiral rib handwarmers, spiral rib socks and plain rib handwarmers for my brother (how quickly we forget-LOL!)

LadyB
12-10-2007, 06:59 PM
wow, everyone's FO's look great! I love those simple socks, LadyB-what pattern is that, I wouldn't mind having a pair of those :teehee:

:aww: Thanks!:aww:

The pattern is Simple Socks in Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles (http://www.amazon.com/Socks-Soar-Two-Circular-Needles/dp/0970886950/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197327466&sr=8-1) by Cat Bordhi.

I worked them on dpns though and did short row heels instead of the heel flap and gusset that the pattern calls for. Also, I worked the heel, sole, and toes in a size smaller needle, which Cat Bordhi recommends on that pattern for added durability.

Jaxhil
12-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the link! I have considered buying this book, and now there's another one out on the same method. I really should get it :mrgreen:

Have you ever used the 2 circs method? :?? I want to try that (and magic loop!) but they both look really complicated! LOL-you'd think anything would look easy after getting the hang of DPN's!

I worked a little on the other handwarmer of the pair for my DSIL, so they are almost done-yah! Then only one more pair to go for my brother, and I think that's it for the gifts I'm knitting. I may make a pair for my sister too, or I may knit her another flower washcloth or two also. But I *really* need to work on my UFO's! Especially the sweater for DS-we hardly get a winter around here anyway so opportunities to wear the silly thing will be limited anyway! I'd better get knitting!

Thanks again LadyB!

LadyB
12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Have you ever used the 2 circs method? :?? I want to try that (and magic loop!) but they both look really complicated! LOL-you'd think anything would look easy after getting the hang of DPN's!I have tried the magic loop method, and REALLY didn't like it. Frankly, that experience, plus the thought of having all those dangly needles, keeps me from trying the 2 circs method. I like dpns, but the thought of them lengthened and flexible (which is how I picture the 2 circs method) is....not enticing.

I hope you get everything you wish to do done.:)

Shandeh
12-11-2007, 04:41 PM
I prefer using dpns, because it just feels more "historical". :teehee:

ArtLady1981
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I just got my simple socks done! :cheering: 1 down, 3 to go.

You go girl!! :thumbsup: I just loves success stories! :heart:

ArtLady1981
12-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I have tried the magic loop method, and REALLY didn't like it. Frankly, that experience, plus the thought of having all those dangly needles, keeps me from trying the 2 circs method. I like dpns, but the thought of them lengthened and flexible (which is how I picture the 2 circs method) is....not enticing.

I hope you get everything you wish to do done.:)

I agree. A Ravelry sister pm'd me...and she spoke of the many negatives of Magic Loop. She really gave the method a good tryout...but, she went back to traditional dpn's. She didn't like the gaps she was getting with the Magic Loop method.

misha rf
12-15-2007, 12:11 AM
I've got one less project to finish, b/c it went to the frog pond! I realized that I'd made a mistake in my Forest Canopy Shawl. I thought I could fix it.

I thought wrong.

Made an even bigger mess, with more dropped stitches. So it's been frogged, the yarn has been rewound, and it's sitting in time out until next year. :rofl:

So, now it's Swan Lake, a rug (that I'd totally forgotten about) and some finishing on some bibs (buttons or velcro). And then the year's done! (Ok, I don't really expect to finish Swan Lake. But I'll try!)

Shandeh
12-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Way to go, Misha! :thumbsup:

dustinac
12-15-2007, 09:25 AM
:happydance: Great job on getting things crossed of the list!!

I've decided to just frog instead of worrying about them :teehee:

The Swan Shawl
1 of Silver's Scarves
Candy Cane Socks finished
Three Way Wrap
just gonna give to my little girl
Dishrag 8 out of 10 done
mittens for me now for mom :wall: had to frog cause the gauge was off but need to start again and finish by her b-day...
Roo's Jacket Set finished
Sockamania Socks

Braden
12-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi, everybody! Sorry I've been away. I've been busy with studying for exams and all that. But, I'm back!

Shandeh
12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Good luck on the exams! :thumbsup:

Jaxhil
12-15-2007, 11:15 PM
I second that, good luck Braden!

Sandy, I like DPN's too because I'm just so thrilled that I can actually *DO* it :teehee:
I tried the Magic Loop yesterday on thesleeve ribbing of my DS's sweater (finished the left sleeve, btw, YAH!!) and I was kinda, :shrug:, about it. It wasn't bad, I didn't have any problems, but I really don't mind dpns and I didn't find it(ML) to be faster for me so I think I'll stick with my trusty double points.

My family took a little trip to visit my MIL this past week, just got back today, and I am happy to say that I got quite a bit of knitting time in-hence the finished sleeve on my son's sweater. Now just one sleeve to go, along with adding the neckband ribbing and weaving in those pesky ends (boo! lol). I actually started the second sleeve, but I have to frog it as I didn't take the time to count how many stitches I needed to pick up for it and I underestimated. Plus I was supposed to purl the first couple of rows and I (of course!) forgot to do that. No biggie, though, I hadn't really gotten very far yet on it anyway.

I also finished my DSILs handwarmers (except for weaving ends) and got my dbro's handwarmers started. I 'm about 2/3rds done with the first one. I love handwarmers, they go so quickly!!

How's everyone doing on your lists? Happy knitting! :X:

Braden
12-17-2007, 11:05 PM
I think DPN'S are impressive to non knitters, because it looks so complicated. But, in reality, they're nothing more than knitting with 2 needles at a time. I like dpn's for some things, and 2 circs for others. It just depends.

Sunny_Singer
12-20-2007, 04:52 PM
I have completed 4 rugs, 2 scarves of 3k,3p every row, and now I am working on a baby blanket, that is a basket-weave style. I am working on another 3k,3p scarf, and another rug. I will finish everything on time, whee.. this challenge helped a lot though. Thanks Braden

ps. my efforts to work with dpns have been my only UFO I have given up on for Christmas. I am hoping to start yet again *I think for the 40th time* in January. Eventually I will catch on and stop inverting my work or knitting backwards or what ever I am doing to flip my stitches back and forth grr.

dustinac
12-20-2007, 05:47 PM
:happydance: Great job on getting things crossed of the list!!

The Swan Shawl
Candy Cane Socks finished (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9073403@N06/2088485389/)
Three Way Wrap
Dishrag 9 out of 10 done
mittens for me
Roo's Jacket Set finished (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9073403@N06/2112591299/)
Sockamania Socks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9073403@N06/2122880139/) finished

Shandeh
12-21-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm so bad. I haven't gotten ANYTHING on my list done. :teehee:

But, I've been busy with knitting on the Oddball Shawls. (I had 5 of them at my house this month.)

I completed one, added fringe, and mailed it to the recipient. Then, I did my part on the second one and mailed it to the next knitter. Then, I finished my part of the third one. I'm still waiting to see who will work on that one next. Now, I'm working on the 4th shawl, and it's going well. I still have one shawl left in my knitting bag. So, I guess I should be satisfied with finishing the shawls. :wink:

Braden
12-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Definately! They're going to be very appreciated!

lostchyld
12-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Success. I finished both scarves in time to present them to their recipients when we exchanged gifts. I didn't finish in time to wrap them, though. :thumbsup: I was kind of glad it worked out so I was knitting almost constantly during the three days of family reunion-ish time. That many people is overwhelming and the knitting kept me sane-ish...:woohoo:

My sisters are still a little leery of the scarves. Their general response is that "Wool is itchy." The younger likes the stitch pattern of the MSCS, so I think she'll wear it. I told them both that they likely recieved the first and last scarves I'll ever knit. :roflhard:

Now I'm off to hammer out a pair of arm warmers as promised to a friend so I can start a pair of socks with the KP Gloss yarn I got for Christmas.

Happy Christmas to everyone.

-Caet

LadyB
12-26-2007, 02:03 PM
:woohoo:I've finished the Sailor's Rib sweater, and I should be finished with the knitting on the scarf today.:woot: I may just get my list done. :)

lostchyld
12-26-2007, 03:46 PM
that's a lovely sweater.

Braden
12-26-2007, 04:27 PM
That looks fantastic! Good luck everybody!

Jaxhil
12-26-2007, 07:40 PM
That sweater looks gorgeous!! :woohoo: Now I feel like a knitting stalker, (second request for a pattern in one thread! lol), but where did you get that pattern? It really is nice!!

I have (almost) finished the afghan, just have to weave in the ends (eew, lol).

I finished all the handwarmers (3 pair), and have just one sleeve and the neckband to go on my son's sweater.

I am going to frog the lace scarf that only has a couple rows done. I think I'd rather start over than try to figure out where I left off (THREE yrs ago!! yikes!!) Actually I'm guessing-I don't remember when I started it! :teehee:

And the traveling vine scarf may not get finished before the month is up, but I'm ok with that-I'm happy to have gotten even this much done! lol

Shandeh
12-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Success. I finished both scarves in time to present them to their recipients when we exchanged gifts. My sisters are still a little leery of the scarves. Their general response is that "Wool is itchy." The younger likes the stitch pattern of the MSCS, so I think she'll wear it. I told them both that they likely recieved the first and last scarves I'll ever knit. :roflhard: - Caet
Caet, I agree with you - first and last. Some people have no idea how much work it is to handknit items. Save your efforts for someone that appreciates them. :thumbsup:
:woohoo:I've finished the Sailor's Rib sweater.
GORGEOUS!! :inlove:

LadyB
12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the kind words. Y'all are the best.:hug:

That sweater looks gorgeous!! :woohoo: Now I feel like a knitting stalker, (second request for a pattern in one thread! lol), but where did you get that pattern? It really is nice!!

The pattern is from Arans and Celtics (http://www.amazon.com/Arans-Celtics-Best-Knitters-Magazine/dp/189376205X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198764165&sr=8-1)

lostchyld
12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Caet, I agree with you - first and last. Some people have no idea how much work it is to handknit items. Save your efforts for someone that appreciates them. :thumbsup:
lol, I don't have a problem with their response. I made the scarves because I wanted to make the scarves. I gave them to my sisters because I wanted to do that, too. I just hated making them and spent the whole time wishing I was making socks or gloves and actually did take a break to knit a whole pair of gloves at one point. Those are the first and last scarves because now I know I hate making scarves, not because my sisters were a bit "Meh" about the wool.

Honestly, their reaction to the fiber is understandable. I don't think we've ever encountered soft wool in my family. Usually it was the really itchy stuff that scratched through the shirt you wore under it. I'm not sure why I managed to enjoy wearing wool when my siblings didn't, but it happened. They'll be a bit better once they really wear the scarves and realize that mmmM is so soft.

Shandeh
12-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Oh yeah! Malabrigo should convince them nicely! :thumbsup:

Braden
12-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Definately!

LadyB
01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I finished my last 2 projects. The scarf pictures are here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21003789@N07/2163557285/). I didn't get pictures of the purse yet.

Thanks, Braden, for this challenge. It was a great way to end the year.

WshUpnASta
01-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I finished my last 2 projects. The scarf pictures are here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21003789@N07/2163557285/). I didn't get pictures of the purse yet.

Thanks, Braden, for this challenge. It was a great way to end the year.

I've still got two things OTN from last year. Is there going to be a January Challenge?

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I think I'll be working on the December challenge until NEXT December! :teehee:

Sunny_Singer
01-04-2008, 01:37 PM
:woohoo:I've finished the Sailor's Rib sweater, and I should be finished with the knitting on the scarf today.:woot: I may just get my list done. :)

That sweater is gorgeous!

Sunny_Singer
01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I finished all but 1 rug that I started for this challenge. That rug is about 14 inches from being completed. My goal is to finish that this weekend, as it was impossible to work on in the car while traveling, for the cones were just too large to be in such confined space.

WshUpnASta
01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm working on an Ascot Textured Ribbed Scarf from elmore-pisgah.com made of 100% cotton yarn. Its almost finished, after that I have 1 tennis sock started but also many future projects. I'm hoping to finish the scarf in the next few days.

WshUpnASta
01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
The Ascot Textured Ribbed Scarf is done! Now I know I said I was going to work on the tennis sock that I had started, but I just received my yarn order from Knitting Warehouse and DD18 has spied some yarn that she would like me to make mittens for her. Now I really just can't turn her down, can I?