PDA

View Full Version : How much would you buy?

ignora
12-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Normally I only buy the yarn I need for a project I already want to do. I know... bad, bad knitter! I have no stash!

But or local JoAnn's is going out of business (they built a great big one in the next town over) and everything is being clearanced out. I thought it might be a good time to stock up on some stuff.

So, how much of any particular yarn would you buy if you didn't have a project in mind for that yarn? I'm not sure what's a good amount to buy... :??

Miley384
12-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I would basically buy the whole store! It's on clearance, you like it, buy it! You never know when all of that yarn may come in handy for future projects! *Wink Wink* ;)

Jan in CA
12-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Here's a chart that gives appx amounts of yarn for various projects. If I had the money I'd buy the yarn for several projects.

Oops..forgot the link!
http://www.fiber2yarn.com/info/how_much_yarn.htm

dmknits
12-02-2007, 03:17 PM
The answer would vary with each person, depending on his/her own situation. Realistically, how long would the yarn be sitting around your home waiting to be used? Having a stash sitting around is not such a bargain if the money you spend on yarn could be going toward paying down debt, saving you chunks of money on interest. Or, if you have no debt, the money could be put in a high-interest savings account, earning more loot for you and ready for you to use for any emergency that might come up.

If you're already financially set for life, then ignore the above considerations and buy it all. ;)

Knitting_Guy
12-02-2007, 03:34 PM
As long as you have enough groceries, buy whatever you have the money to buy. :mrgreen:

lelvsdgs
12-02-2007, 03:35 PM
As long as you have enough groceries, buy whatever you have the money to buy. :mrgreen:

Yep, uh huh, what he said!

GiddyKnitter
12-02-2007, 03:42 PM
I would buy all that I could afford.

mhansen
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I would buy as much as I could get.

GinnyG
12-02-2007, 04:29 PM
I try to buy sweater quantities when i find a good yarn on sale.

cristeen
12-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I would buy all the wool and cotton I could afford. Our local Joanne's only has 2 choices in wool, maybe 3 in cotton, the rest is acrylic, so it wouldn't be that much. I wouldn't dip into the grocery money, but would buy anything I thought I might one day use.

ignora
12-02-2007, 05:28 PM
You guys are too funny! No, I'm not rich... and I don't have a ton of storage room. :) Besides, their clearance prices aren't THAT good yet... only 20% off. I'm sure it will go lower, but all of the really good stuff will be gone by then. I just thought I'd pick up a few kinds.

So, what I guess I meant was... would you buy 3 skeins of each yarn you wanted, or 4 skeins, or what? Enough for a sweater? Or what?

loveswildflowers
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Since your question asks what I would do in your situation...
I personally would look the yarns over for yarn I already like - and I lean toward the classic stuff like merino wool (Patons) and cotton. If I had a project in mind that uses those I'd get enough for the project. If I didn't have a project currently in mind - I'd get enough for a sweater if they had a yarn I really liked like Patons classic merino. If they didn't have enough in the same dye lot for my project - then I might get 3 balls of 3-4 different colors that might harmonize for a project or could be used for smaller projects.
If I were in a daring mood and had enough dough I might get a ball or 2 of interesting yarns that could be used for trimming/embellishment.
:roflhard: I'm sure you'll get a million different answers on this one.

bip
12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I try to buy sweater quantities when i find a good yarn on sale.

Me too, unless it's afghan-type yarn (wool ease, simply soft). In that case I buy enough for a biiig blanket :)

My only advice would be to be very choosy about the novelty yarns. They look SO fun in the store, it is easy to go overboard. Once you get them home, it can be hard to find a project unless you know a lot of 7 year old girls (depending on the novelty yarn, of course, some can be very grown up).

Mirl56
12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I'd pick up single balls of whatever cotton they have in any colors, doubles of colors I particularly like (dish cloths). If they still had anything 100% wool, mine usually has Lion wool & Pattons, I'd get 2-5 of each color of the wool that appealed to me, colors that coordinated (I like to do felted purses). My joanns doesn't carry much in sock yarn, that would be what I'd really like to get.

ignora
12-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm sure you'll get a million different answers on this one.

Yeah, I'm sure I there's no right answer. I was just wondering if there was any 'rule of thumb' or anything.

My only advice would be to be very choosy about the novelty yarns. They look SO fun in the store, it is easy to go overboard. Once you get them home, it can be hard to find a project unless you know a lot of 7 year old girls

Weeelllll, I do happen to have a 4 year old girl living in the house... :whistle:

I'd pick up single balls of whatever cotton they have in any colors, doubles of colors I particularly like (dish cloths). If they still had anything 100% wool, mine usually has Lion wool & Pattons, I'd get 2-5 of each color of the wool that appealed to me, colors that coordinated (I like to do felted purses). My joanns doesn't carry much in sock yarn, that would be what I'd really like to get.

Would it be heretical to say that I'm not a big fan of wool? I find it hot and itchy. I'm big on cotton and other natural fibers, though. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get a little wool, though. There are some felted toys that I want to try... I've never done felting before.

Anyway, thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and opinions. :) Most appreciated..