PDA

View Full Version : dh learned to knit

mommydearest
12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
:woot: My dh was asking when I would teach him to knit as I was knitting at Bob Evans waiting for dinner to arrive last night, so I told him I would start when he got back home. I taught him the long tail cast on (I always do this co whenever possible) and go until he ran out of yarn. Then I pulled it out and made it shorter for him to co again then taught him the knit st. He made 3 rows and only added one extra st. He lost a st too and he was worried but hey, no problem, I fixed it. He did good!

Just wanted to share.

Mary

dustinac
12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
:happydance: That's great!! :happydance:

Jan in CA
12-02-2007, 10:21 PM
That's terrific!:yay:

The.Knitter
12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
When I was organizing my stash last week to add it into Ravelry I found a ball of old scratchy grey yarn. I told my DH to toss it into the garbage as it is seriously crappy yarn. He looked at me in amazement and to my surprise he said "don't throw it out, you can use it to teach me how to knit." So, next weekend he is going to get his first lesson in knitting. I showed him Mason's picture and said "if this big burly truck driver can do it Hon, so you can!" (thanks Mason)...

Knitting_Guy
12-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Mary, that's great but now you two will be fighting over the stash :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
12-02-2007, 11:35 PM
When I was organizing my stash last week to add it into Ravelry I found a ball of old scratchy grey yarn. I told my DH to toss it into the garbage as it is seriously crappy yarn. He looked at me in amazement and to my surprise he said "don't throw it out, you can use it to teach me how to knit." So, next weekend he is going to get his first lesson in knitting. I showed him Mason's picture and said "if this big burly truck driver can do it Hon, so you can!" (thanks Mason)...

Glad I could help. I've always been a bad influence, no sense stopping now. :mrgreen:

ecb
12-03-2007, 12:18 AM
saw my friend at my mothers Concert tonight, she introduced me to her friend (gentleman friend, or co-worker, I have no idea?) and when I brought out my knitting, he told me he was learning to knit thelp his hands and wrists (he is a massage therapist) and I IMMEDIATLY offered to E-mail him some simple patterns (including the Odessa hat I M doing all the time now) he told me he was NO WHERE near ready to do that, as hewas only on his second lesson, and doing Dishcloths. by intermission, I told him I would help support his knitting, but I would try not to overwhelm him with my 'help'
I did not even push for his e-mail or number
I was very surprized by my friends lack of support to his being a knitter, I will have to speak to her about that. She started knitting for the same reason he did. Tsk Tsk tsk

ecb

Catz
12-03-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm trying to get my fiance to knit but he says that if I go to a football game then he'll take up knitting lol. There's not a snowballs chance that you'll get me to go to a football game :roflhard: but I'm working on him anyway.It'll be nice if he learns to sit on a night watching t.v with the both of us knitting.
When I'm knitting at night he says that the click clack of my needles is soothing to him.He's even bought me the knit picks options set for my xmas. I'm not allowed them till xmas :roflhard:

boo1
12-03-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm trying to get my fiance to knit but he says that if I go to a football game then he'll take up knitting lol. There's not a snowballs chance that you'll get me to go to a football game :roflhard: but I'm working on him anyway.

Oh, I live for football and I'm depressed that the season is ending!

I would love for my dh to at least learn to knit; he would be able to fix my knitting boo-boos! He's much more observant than I am and has better right brain (or is it left) capability than I do.

It'll never happen, though. Nope, never.

GiddyKnitter
12-03-2007, 07:44 AM
I dont think my hubby would like to learn to knit although I haven'y actually asked him! I don't like the idea of sharing my stash ... My stash is a very personal thing between me and IT.

WandaT
12-03-2007, 08:00 AM
That is so cool!! My DH will never knit either. He prefers golf and doing wood work. I'm hoping he's finally getting around to changing his mind about thinking that knitting & crocheting is only for grannies. Lots of my friends who are my age knit and lots of teens knit too. I can't even imagine him sitting on the couch knitting with me or going through patterns together! LOL But it's so cool to know that there are men who appreciate this hobby as much as we do. :)

mommydearest
12-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Mary, that's great but now you two will be fighting over the stash :rofl:

Nah, I'll just give him all the gray acrylic I have, it's his favorite color. I taught him with the gray also since I didn't want him practicing with my cotton, which I'm using up quickly for my dishcloths.

He doesn't do footfall unless it's the soccer kind but he does watch TV so he thought it would be good to be doing something usefull at the same time. My dh cooks, cleans, will help with dishes and laundry and sews; what more could I ask for :woohoo:

I talk a lot about this forum and that there are several guys that knit and/or crochet, we all think it's great.

Mary

Eccie
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
My hubby asked if I'd show him a few weeks ago. (He's getting tired of waiting on me to make that Doctor Who scarf I think.) He had no trouble learning to cast on but when he turned to start kntting he always wanted to pull the needles apart, which stretched the yarn loose, which made the whole thing not work so well. He finally got frustrated and said his fingers were too big :P I think I'll get some bulky yarn and let him try on the US 15s and see if it's easier for him.

Jaxhil
12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Y'all are so lucky!

My husband said he would learn if we ever move to Alaska. :nails:

Hmmm..I don't see that happening anytime soon :verysad:
too bad, it would be sooo fun to go yarn shopping together :mrgreen:

mommydearest
12-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Y'all are so lucky!

My husband said he would learn if we ever move to Alaska. :nails:

Hmmm..I don't see that happening anytime soon :verysad:
too bad, it would be sooo fun to go yarn shopping together :mrgreen:

I wouldn't mind a trip to Alaska - maybe someday in the next ???

I'll have to take dh with me sometime yarn shopping and see what happens. He may get more ideas and want to buy more yarn than I do. I'll have to be careful.

Mary

cindycactus
12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
My dh is very impatient so he wants nothing to do with knitting or using a computer. Now if it is mechanical or wood work he is interested. Oh well!!! :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: I will just keep on knitting myself.

Sissy
12-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Thats so great! We need more men knitters.I enjoy seeing men knit, most of them can out knit me , course thats not hard,LOL!