PDA

View Full Version : Yarn over problems

yalikids
12-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I am knitting a shawl for my daughter and I must have totally messed up! I started with the ruffle part of the shawl first but I am now losing the ruffle and I think it is taking waaay to long to get one row done. When I am yarning over it is a yarn over then purl 2 together. I am doing this right but when I come back to knit that row, I have been knitting 2 threads separately instead of one. I saw 2 threads so I knitted 2 threads. Have I been taking the yarn over apart and doubling my work? I do have a nice lacy pattern going but way to many stitches.
Please Help!

Lisa R.
12-03-2007, 09:30 AM
How many stitches do you have and how many are you supposed to have?

What happens with a yarnover followed by p2tog is that you maintain the same number of stitches but have "holes" in your work to provide the lacy effect.

So, when you do the yarnover, you are adding an extra stitch, but the p2tog decreases a stitch, giving you the same number you originally had.

When you com back over the row, you should see the yarnover, which you knit as a normal stitch, but the p2tog stitch should only look like one stitch on your needle, not two.

I'm not quite sure where you're seeing the two stitches, or adding stitches.

yalikids
12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks for you reply. I think I was supposed to be down to 300 when the ruffle part was done. I realized last night that I must have about 1,000 stitches. The project started with casting on 1,200 stitches and since the project no longer looks ruffled I must be back up to around that number. My p2tog doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the yarnover. When I look at it when coming back to knit the strands of thread form 2 over the needle. Actually, the two aren't wrapped around the needle just one is. Oh well! I think I made a yarnover a lot harder than it is supposed to be. Thanks for your input. By the way, to take out about 7 rows should I slip it of the needles or do one stitch at a time? I'm so afraid of dropping a stitch!

knitncook
12-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Are you doing *yo, K2tog* repeat to end? If so you should end up with the same number of stitches that you started with. Are you knitting tightly so that your K2tog's aren't pulling to make it look like there are mulitple stitches there?

yalikids
12-03-2007, 09:54 AM
No, it's yo,p2tog. Then I'm supposed to knit the next row. That's where I've been knitting twice on the yarnover. Is the yarnover supposed to look like one thread over the needle on the knit row?

Jax3303
12-03-2007, 09:59 AM
The pattern rows that your having problems with, are they all just 'YO, P2tog'? Is this pattern online? can you link us to it? that might help us to help you.

OK, first, lets see if you're doing the YO correctly. A yarn over is just wrapping the yarn once around the needle. Are you new at lace? Most new lace knitters make the mistake of thinking a yarn over is wrapping the yarn around the needle and then knitting a stitch. It's just wrapping the yarn around the needle. Creating an eyelet/hole and Unless paired with a decrease, it will add a stitch to your stitch count.

So, if the instructions are just 'Yo, P2tog', than all you need to do is wrap the yarn around the needle, and then purl two stitches together and your stitch count stays the same.

Jax3303
12-03-2007, 10:02 AM
No, it's yo,p2tog. Then I'm supposed to knit the next row. That's where I've been knitting twice on the yarnover. Is the yarnover supposed to look like one thread over the needle on the knit row?

the Yo will be one strand. it'll look like a loose stitch on the needle, but it'll be one strand. you'l have one loose looking strand (the YO) followed by one regular looking stitch (the P2tog) all across the row.

yalikids
12-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Okay, the pattern is in the book Scarves and Shawls for Yarn Lovers by Carri Hammett. It is on page 80. I think I understand now. Thanks for everyone's help! Is taking out the stitches one by one the best way to undo all the rows I made this mistake in?

Lisa R.
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
When I look at it when coming back to knit the strands of thread form 2 over the needle. Actually, the two aren't wrapped around the needle just one is.

I think this may be where your problem is...a yarnover shouldn't look like two stitches. It should look like a loose stitch. Without seeing what you're doing, I can't say for sure what the problem might be specifically.

but a yarnover is just wrapping the yarn over the needle without knitting it and moving on to the next stitch. You can watch the video on this site if you're in any doubt as to how to actually do it.

suzeeq
12-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Maybe you're wrapping the yarn around the needle twice instead of once? For a yo between purl sts - p2tog, move your yarn over the needle and to the front again, p2tog. Should result in 1 loose strand between the 2 purl sts.

WildMountainHoney
12-03-2007, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't tink 7 rows, one stitch at a time personally. Do you have some thin contrast color cotton (or floss, I've seen many here use dental floss!) or maybe a cable needle? There is a video here on inserting a "life-line" right before you frog, and that's what I would do - Insert it into a knit row so that you don't have to worry about finding any yos.

Good luck, I bet the shawl will be gorgeous!

suzeeq
12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
When I have more than a couple rows to rip out, I unravel to about the row before I need to correct the error. Then insert a needle (a smaller size works better) and undo it stitch by stitch.

egnj
05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I am knitting a lace "summer shawl" it appears to be go well but I am not sure if the yarn over stitch should be twisted with the knit stitch. I try to knit it from behind the twist is that right. It look OK but then later I am not sure and can not find any video on this. My books should me how to make the stitch but not how to knit the next row and where to knit or purl the twisted stitch. can anyone HELP me.

suzeeq
05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
When you work a YO in a lace pattern, it's done as a separate st, not together with another one. You wrap it just like a regular knit and and knit or purl into it on the next row as if it were a regular st too. Which 'summer shawl' is it - there's lots.

egnj
05-20-2011, 04:26 PM
I am doing it as a separate stitch but when I get to the next row the yarn over and the next stitch are twisted. I have been knitting the stitch in behind the twist one then the next but I am just unsure because it was going good for about 14 inches and then it started to look not right on a few rows. not sure if i am doing it right. the 'shoreline lace shawl" (i got the name wrong) is a free Lion brand pattern.

suzeeq
05-20-2011, 04:58 PM
They shouldn't be twisted together, though the yo can slide under/over the one next to it. Try loosening up your sts, or separating them more when you get to that part. Each one is separate. What yarn and needle size are you using? A shawl, especially a lightweight one, is usually knit on needles 2-4 sizes than you'd use for a sweater as it doesn't need to be knit as densely.