PDA

View Full Version : What is the best gift you ever received?

cftwo
12-06-2007, 03:14 PM
As a spin-off from the oddest gift, I thought it might be nice to share best gift stories.

Mine was the gift I got from my great-grandmother the Christmas after she died - a prayer I had cross-stitched for her maybe 12 years earlier. I cried.

Mulderknitter
12-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I have gotten a lot of great gifts.
One year my mom bought me a stack of books and individually wrapped them. It was really cool.
Last year my DH got me a $200 gift card to my fave lys. I almost cried.
My favorite of all is the huge purple afghan that my grandmother knitted for me when I was about 14. I am 30 now and it is still on our couch though my DH hates it and it doesn't go with anything. :roflhard:

PurlyGyrl
12-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Best gift hands down wasn't even for me--it was a gift my Mom got in 2000: a framed photo of my grandpaw Earl, who passed away in 1975. He hated having his picture taken and would put his hands across his face. My Aunt Wilma found a snapshot of him, had it enlarged and framed and gave one to each brother and sister. What a surprise to "see" him after all those years. We all cried and cried.

auburnchick
12-06-2007, 04:58 PM
The Christmas before I turned 16, I got a car. I proudly drove it to several friends' houses on Christmas morning...not even giving a thought that they were having their own Christmas celebrations. Oh, and it was a really small town...the cops let us drive before we had our licenses as long as we were responsible...plus they could easily find our parents if we did anything wrong. :rofl:

Ellieblue
12-06-2007, 05:12 PM
I would have to say it was a large doll I got when I was about six years old. It was during the depression and I wanted that doll so much. Since neither of my parents were working and we were on welfare , I just knew it would never happen. I can still feel the joy I felt on that christmas day when I unwrapped that gift.

Knitting_Guy
12-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Well since the topic doesn't specify a Christmas gift I'll tell about what I consider was the best gift I was ever given.

Between the time I left High School and the time I entered the military I went on a hitch-hiking adventure around the country. My goal was to hitch through all 48 contiguous states (I succeeded).

After a few months on the road I found myself in New Mexico. I wasn't in the middle of nowhere, but I could see it from there. I hadn't eaten in a few days as my money had run out. A Mexican family picked me up on the side of the road.

After riding with them for a while and playing with the children in the back seat, making them laugh with my very poor mastery of Spanish, they pulled into a dusty truckstop parking lot.

I shook the man's hand and thanked him for the ride and started to walk away. He stopped me and gestured for me to follow him to the rear of the car. He opened the truck and I saw that it was filled with all sorts of Mexican food.

He told me they had been on a family picnic, he hated to waste the food, and proceeded to fill a couple of paper plates to overflowing with food. He handed them to me, along with a cold drink from the cooler. He then wished me via con Dios, and was on his way.

That was over 25 years ago now and I still remember that family and how good that food tasted. I hadn't mentioned anything about not having any money or not having eaten. He simply gave from his heart. What could be a better gift than that?

mwhite
12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
The bestest gift so far is a double blessing.... a reconnection, a couple of years ago with my sweet daughter after many years apart and the birth of her beautiful daughter, my first and so far, only grandchild. My heart was so full of joy and nothing has been as wonderful since... I'm sure life holds many more.... Mary

HollyP
12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
The best gift I ever got was my dog Bentley. I didn't get him for Christmas but he still is the best gift. My mom gave him to me for my birthday. Our family dog Ricky had passed away the beginning of February and I was absolutely heart broken. When my birthday rolled around in April my Mom decided it was time to get a dog back in the house. He was exactly what we needed. Now almost 7 years later he is still a gift!

LoAnnie
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
The best gift me and my family were ever given was Christmas about 18 years ago and I will always remember it. My parents had just divorced and my mother had nothing as she had just gone back to teaching to support us (dad wasn't that helpful with money for us). Several teachers she worked with showed up with presents for all 5 of us, canned goods, and a turkey for Christmas dinner. I always look back on that and cry since those people didn't have to do all that for us, but they did. That was a great Christmas.
LoAnnie

Silver
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
My spinning wheel (http://www.cometosilver.com/spin/equipment/spinningwheel.jpg). Hand made by my Dad. *sigh*

Knitting_Guy
12-06-2007, 06:23 PM
My spinning wheel (http://www.cometosilver.com/spin/equipment/spinningwheel.jpg). Hand made by my Dad. *sigh*

Wow, that's a great gift. He put a lot of work into that.

Silver
12-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Wow, that's a great gift. He put a lot of work into that.
Yes he did. This was the first spinning wheel he ever made and didn't know the first thing about them when he started. But this is the best spinning wheel I've ever used.

Of course, he does know a thing or two about building things. He's a professional luthier... he builds electric guitars (http://www.ronkirn.com), among the many other things he's made. He is to wood as I am to yarn. :heart:

auburnchick
12-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Great stories!

The story about the reconnected family makes me think (and sigh over) my dad, who passed away unexpectedly in 2001.

My parents were divorced when I was very young, and my mom kept him away from us out of spite.

We reconnected after I had my son. It was wonderful. My dad had the most amazing gift for selecting unique gifts. He once gave my daughter a doll that was from the story of Little Red Riding Hood. You could rearrange the doll's clothes (she wore a dress with an apron) so that you had either the grandmother, Little Red Riding Hood, or the wolf. It was so cool.

One year, he gave my daughter a framed picture of himself. The morning after I found out he passed away, we explained to the kids that he had died. My kids saw how devastated I was. Dd came downstairs after a while with a wrapped present for me. Yep...you probably saw this coming...it was the picture of my dad. She wanted me to always be able to see him. I've kept that picture on my computer desk for years.

Ok...time to go have a cry...

Eccie
12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
He once gave my daughter a doll that was from the story of Little Red Riding Hood. You could rearrange the doll's clothes (she wore a dress with an apron) so that you had either the grandmother, Little Red Riding Hood, or the wolf. It was so cool.

Hey, I had one of those. I'd had completely forgotten it til you mentioned it :)

HollyP
12-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey, I had one of those. :)
Me too. I actually just found mine not too long ago. I loved the doll!

inkaholic
12-06-2007, 10:14 PM
When I was a little girl, I wanted a dog so badly I even pretended to be one, but our landlords wouldn't let us have pets. My parents bought their first house, and I still wanted a dog very badly, but they kept telling me that they weren't ready to have a dog, blah blah blah. Eventually I stopped asking, but I still talked about dogs all the time. On Christmas morning, my dad went out to "get the newspaper". I didn't know any better back then, so I didn't suspect anything. When he got back I jumped up to hug him and inside his coat was a squirmy black puppy. She died in 1999 from being hit by a car, but I will always love & remember her. My parents got two more dogs a couple of years ago, and even though I love them, Maxie will always be the dog closest to my heart.

I'm hoping for a (very used) car this year, but it's most likely not gonna happen...even though they're saving so much on college tuition, it is unlikely.
Here's hoping there's a junker out there coming to live with me! I promise I'll treat you nicely and only drive you to school and the yarn store :wink:

vaknitter
12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Every time I get a gift I didn't have to pick out I think it's the best...a few particulars. My maternal grandmother always sent me a $10 bill for Christmas, birthday etc and I never thought it wasn't enough or that I wanted something else. I always knew that it was coming and I could get whatever I wanted with it or put it in the bank for a rainy day.
The first year we were dating the hubby bought me a really expensive cast iron chinese steeping pot for tea...I had mentioned that I wanted a tea pot so that on a chilly morning I could make a pot of tea and leave it on the stove to keep warm (I was thinking $15 Corellware) and he searched for weeks/months high and low for that pot.

msmelody
12-07-2007, 05:57 AM
I have three greatest gifts. All where given by God. The first is my DH, and the second and third are my children. In all my years, I have discovered that things come and go, but people who touch your heart will last forever.

Shandeh
12-07-2007, 09:19 AM
My favorite gift was a complete set of nursery items from my church choir, back when I was a poor single mom. They even gave me a crib and changing table!

Another of my favorite gifts was a large black plastic bag, filled with toys for my children's Christmas. This was also when I was a single mom. And once again, it was from my church.

The church has been good to me over the years. Once, when my car broke down, they paid to replace the engine. Over 1200 dollars. I was speechless.

Since that time, I've gotten married to the sweetest man in the world. He has given me wonderful gifts over and over again. Tangible gifts, and gifts of the heart. It was well worth the wait.
cloud9

stitchwitch
12-07-2007, 09:39 AM
I can't pinpoint any one gift, I've gotten some good ones over the years. What I do really enjoy more than anything is getting Christmas cards from friends that I only hear from occasionally. I don't know, those fill me up so much I get all giddy when I see one in the mailbox.

msoebel
12-07-2007, 11:49 AM
My sister figured out a few years ago how much I appreciate old books. I love to read, and I love things with a history, so it only makes sense! The first book she gave me was a copy of Tennyson's poems. I love that book. But last Christmas, she searched high and low and found a first edition of my favorite book of all time: Jane Eyre. It was even more precious because she was unemployed last year and they were struggling financially. I know that she and her dh really sacrificed to be able to buy me that book.

I also really love the knitting bag my sister in law made me for Christmas last year. She worked so hard to pick out the right fabrics, and sewed it up. She hasn't been sewing for long, so she really had to learn new techniques to make me this bag. I use it all the time now...I appreciate her thoughtfulness to include large pockets and a matching needle roll. She knits too...and she still doesn't have a knitting bag of her own. But when I took up knitting last year, she wanted me to have one.

And finally, I LOVE the fiesta ware my dh started buying for me. I picked out the colors, and about 5 years ago, he suprised me with my first 4 placesettings. Now, he watches for special pieces and he still picks them up for me. He is so sweet, and he buys me things, even though he doesn't understand why I like them!:cool:

Ryan
12-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Definitely when ever I got a pet (puppy, kitten, hampster) when I was growing up.

kellyh57
12-07-2007, 07:33 PM
This is a "gift" we gave, but it's definitely one of my favorites. My grandparents had lost their dog and we kept bugging them to get a new one. My grandpa was very hard to buy for and never gave any ideas so we kept teasing him that we were getting him a puppy. We had just gotten this ball that moved around on it's own. We put that in a wrapped box, poked some holes in it, made a puddle in it and presented it to Grandpa (complete with shushing it on the way out of the room). He got this really grumpy look on his face and said he didn't want anything to do with it. Finally we convinced him to open it. I think he did crack a smile at some point when he realized he'd been had. :)

Kelly

momwolf
12-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Just had to reply to Sliver's talented father, WOW!!!!!!!!!! Your dad does BEAUTIFUL work.His guitars are amazing!!!!!!!! And your spinning wheel is gorgeous!!!!!!!!! Now we know where you get ALL your talents from.

momwolf
12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Jeez forgot about my best gift.When a guy at local meat market gave me my first dog,a wolf mix puppy named Keesha.She was my loyal and best friend till I had to have her put down at the age of 12 years.She went everywhere with me.I still miss her to this day and that was 30 years ago.

Mommy22alyns
12-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Oh, that's easy for me now!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/dnabears/1129002.jpg

Becca is my "gift" and Sylvia is my "blessing." Of course both girls are both, so let me explain.

Becca, my gift - so easily conceived, healthy and uncomplicated pregnancy, lovely untroubled birth. Amazingly healthy from the start... spirited and a handful, but just a wonderful gift given to us.

Sylvia is my blessing. Halfway through my pregnancy I was diagnosed with complete placenta previa. It never moved, and at 32 weeks I had a severe bleed. I live in a small town and my hospital of choice is at least 45 minutes away. I made it just in time - five minutes more and we might have lost her, seriously. They had trouble finding her heartbeat and when they did it was getting dangerously low. They almost had to do an emergency C-section but we stabilized and I stopped bleeding. I spent a month in the hospital on bedrest and she emerged at 36 weeks, healthy for her age. I never had to leave her alone in the hospital. Every day I look at her and think, "We almost didn't get to meet you." So she is my blessing.

The two greatest gifts I've ever been given... my girls. :heart: :heart:

SnarfyCat
12-11-2007, 01:59 AM
The greatest gift I was given was the gift of forgiveness given to me by The Big Guy. It gave me the chance to talk to my mother again after a 15 year estrangement.

DQ
12-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Apart from my DH, DS and wonderful family :heart: one of the best gifts i've had was from my Nana. It was on my 18th birthday and it was one of her rings. I remember admiring it and playing with it as a child. I cried when I opened that gift :heart:

gingerbread
12-11-2007, 09:44 AM
When I was thirteen a doll came on the market " the doll with the peek-a-boo eyes".
My mother said no I was to old to want a doll for Christmas. I beg and beg and the same answer to old for a doll.
On Christmas morning I came into the livingroom and Standing there was my beautiful doll. I never forgot that doll and as the years passed I always thanked her for that doll. She is gone now and miss her terribly but I remember that Christmas morning and the love she gave me. She still said I was to old to have a doll.
To this day I love all dolls and I do have a few. Now my daughter tells me Mom you are to old to have dolls!!!:p

hellokitty165
12-11-2007, 12:03 PM
my dh's grammy give me a featherweight 221 singer sewing machine ...she got all the parts and box in ebay and get all the parts assembled and it look as good as brand new...she had the machine in her closet for 30-40 years...she is 90 years old in 2008... my MIL and SIL both got one of that machine from her and now i got one too...my dh families are fabulous people ...they treated everyone equally...i am blessed :thumbsup: