PDA

View Full Version : Co-Workers Perfume

sinistral_needler
12-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Have you ever had a coworker that is very good in practically every way .. but have one or two things that just get to you?? My one coworker is a very nice lady, very easy to work with. She has this perfume that she wears .. that makes me think of sweaty feet! :ick: It has this 'very old lady' sickenly weird sweet smell .. even though my grandma's both wear very nice smelling perfumes, so I shouldn't say 'very old lady' .. considering one grandma is nearly 95!

My coworker's perfume just makes me want to GAK! :zombie: Generally, strong odors do not bother me .. so I am befuddled by this ..

Do you have any workplace peeves???

bailsmom
12-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I don't have a work story, but one from back in high school....

One of my best friends in high school used to wear vanilla. I'm talking lotion, perfume, soap you name it, she wore it: ALL AT ONCE. To this day I absolutely HATE the smell of vanilla scented things. And OMG, that fragrance is all over the place.

Why don't people realize that everyone doesn't like the same smells that you do and a little goes a long way. Don't pour it all over you and expect people to want to lick you like an ice cream cone!!! Now, if it were a chocolate fragrance, well, that's a different ball game. :teehee:

debinoz
12-07-2007, 12:04 AM
My oldest DD wears some kind of vanilla stuff that makes me want to hurl. Another thing that irritates me is that men's spray stuff, like Tag. Just a milisecond squirt is so strong I can't breath and it seams like they use it by the can, not the squirt.

cdjack
12-07-2007, 12:21 AM
I had a coworker who used to wear some body lotion/perfume combo that smelled exactly like Rice Crispy Treats. And on top of the that, she wore apricot-scented roll-on lip gloss that she reapplied all day long. I left that job and that was one of the reasons.

Knitting_Guy
12-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Being a trucker, the best thing I can say is you really don't want to know.

ecb
12-07-2007, 01:56 AM
I have mild asthma, and one of the few things that sets me off is scents, and it never makes sense, someones perfume or scented candles (lost of those). Most room airfresheners, I keep buying them, to give the new ones a try, and 4GET IT
My 15yo daughter BATHES in 'stinky stuff', he Loves it, and now that she is no longer living here, she uses it AD-NAUSEUM,

When i worked in the Cubicle jungles of Merck, we had a couple co-workers who would wer strong cheep perfumes, and after I had a reaction in a staff meeting, the manager sent out a reminder about the scented part of dress code.

good luck dealing with this problem

ecb

hocns
12-07-2007, 05:56 AM
I have mild asthma, and one of the few things that sets me off is scents, and it never makes sense, someones perfume or scented candles (lost of those). Most room airfresheners, I keep buying them, to give the new ones a try, and 4GET IT
My 15yo daughter BATHES in 'stinky stuff', he Loves it, and now that she is no longer living here, she uses it AD-NAUSEUM,

When i worked in the Cubicle jungles of Merck, we had a couple co-workers who would wer strong cheep perfumes, and after I had a reaction in a staff meeting, the manager sent out a reminder about the scented part of dress code.

good luck dealing with this problem

ecb

A lot of people have problems primarily with synthetic scents, I am one of them. I can't imagine using an air freshener in my house, and seeing those commercials of people spraying febreze on their clothing and pillows - I wouldn't be able to breathe. And people wonder why respiratory problems are on the rise.
If you want an air freshener, and have no problems with ESSENTIAL OILS (these oils come from the plants themselves), try a few drops of an oil in a spray bottle of water, shake and spray. The bottle would have to be shaken before every spray, as oil and water don't mix. Or I put a few drops in a pot of water simmering on my woodstove.

laptop_knitter
12-07-2007, 08:03 AM
We do that, but use a candle flame instead - mum's loves them, especially the cannabis oils and the cinnamon. Much better than aerosols and such.
One thing I had a problem with in highschool, was the smelly deodrants people used,to excess. Why they wanted to smell like rotted fruit or flowers instead of clean human was beyond me.

Ryan
12-07-2007, 08:28 AM
That's the one thing I will tell some one about, that and if they have a boogie.:wink: I can ignore other behaviors I don't care for, but not working with someone who smells funky. Too distracting.

Ronda
12-07-2007, 08:44 AM
That's the one thing I will tell some one about, that and if they have a boogie.:wink:
OMG! :roflhard: I'm so glad I work at home BY MYSELF!!!

Shandeh
12-07-2007, 09:04 AM
I used to work with someone that had smelly feet. She wore the same shoes 3 days in a row, and the smell would get so bad. I can't believe she didn't notice it.

My foot doctor taught me that if you let your shoes air out at least 24 hours, your foot odor problem goes away. He's right! I finally convinced my husband of that fact also. He now has two pairs of work shoes, and alternates them each day. :wink:

stitchwitch
12-07-2007, 09:24 AM
I had a coworker who used to wear some body lotion/perfume combo that smelled exactly like Rice Crispy Treats..
I've smelled that perfume!!! It's horrible!!! I thought it was just me that thought it smelled that way. :chair:

LibraryLady
12-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I have horrid problems with perfumes, eyes watering, sneezing etc. My mom and sister do too.

I've worn the same perfume, Chloe, for the last almost 30 years, and neither my mom or sis have ever had an issue and neither have I.

It's a hard to find perfume, but I find it in a small shop. One day I asked how come their shop doesn't bother me, like just walking by Macy's at the mall does.

They explained that perfume imported from Europe is made with alcohol made from sugar beets. Whereas perfumes manufactured here are made from alcohol from petroleum.
Kinda makes ya think how much petroleum products invade our lives and our tolerance levels to it a getting lower with all the over exposure.

LL

Shandeh
12-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Interesting.

hocns
12-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I have horrid problems with perfumes, eyes watering, sneezing etc. My mom and sister do too.

I've worn the same perfume, Chloe, for the last almost 30 years, and neither my mom or sis have ever had an issue and neither have I.

It's a hard to find perfume, but I find it in a small shop. One day I asked how come their shop doesn't bother me, like just walking by Macy's at the mall does.

They explained that perfume imported from Europe is made with alcohol made from sugar beets. Whereas perfumes manufactured here are made from alcohol from petroleum.
Kinda makes ya think how much petroleum products invade our lives and our tolerance levels to it a getting lower with all the over exposure.

LL
That's interesting. I make soap, and use essential oils only, and am SOOOOO tired of hearing how dangerous they are and that people should stick to "safe" fragrance oils instead. As far as I know, fragrance oils have a petroleum base. I have never had a problem with essential oils, you do have to be careful of course, but a lot of fragrance oils make me sick. Yet people think of them as safe, while treating essential oils like hazardous waste. It's boggles the mind.

wiredqs
12-08-2007, 04:08 AM
As one who has had some pretty frightening reactions to the essential oil of the poison oak plant, you do need to pay attention to everything. Can't just make blanket statements.JMHO

hocns
12-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Oh, I'm aware of that. I've personally never heard of poison oak essential oil, and would never use it if I had. I can't imagine why anyone would use an oil from a poisonous plant. There are a number of toxic essential oils out there which I would never use. But people tend to make a big fuss over lavender and tea tree sometimes as if they're oven cleaner.

Ellieblue
12-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I used to work in retail and whenever someone came by reeking of perfume (Poison for one) I would spray the air with Windex. It worked!

Krystal
12-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I have 3 coworkers I like who I don't want around because of their smell. Fortunately one is a Manager who works randomly.... Her perfume smells just like the original Lysol spray. That overpowering stink of cleaner... it was always too strong for me to like it. Everyone else thinks it smells like Lysol too. We told her... but she says it's some designer brand name ... so she wears it.

The other I work with every day and she tends to bathe in musk. I hate musk.

The 3rd is a guy who works mostly part time, and I rarely see him... but he always STINKS of BO. No one else can smell it, but I can't breathe when he's next to me. It sucks coz he is a great guy and I enjoy working with him, so long as I stay away...

stitchwitch
12-08-2007, 02:51 PM
As one who has had some pretty frightening reactions to the essential oil of the poison oak plant, you do need to pay attention to everything. Can't just make blanket statements.JMHO
I don't mean to laugh but the visual image I have is funny. I imagine someone giving you a gift basket of bath soaps and lotions labled Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac.
I use essential oils to make bath fizzies and I have never heard of someone using poison oak as a scent. I can't imagine where you would buy something like that. How horrible. Who would do that to someone? Glad you're ok though, I can't imagine how bad that reaction must have been.

inkaholic
12-08-2007, 09:23 PM
When I was in high school, there was a guy in my class who stunk horribly. The smell was so bad you had to hold your breath as he walked by and for a few secs after cause the smell trailed him. One day our sophomore year the smell was really bad cause we had just come from gym, and a girl in my class saw a can of spray Axe deodorant in my friend's bag. She grabbed it and sprayed it in the air to try and get rid of the smell (the teacher had left for a minute.) The smell of the deoderant and his body odor mixing was horrible. When the teacher came back into the room, she smelled it and freaked out. She ran and got the dean of discipline who yelled at everyone. He thought someone had let a weird stink bomb off or something. People were still bringing that story up at graduation parties and everything. Poor guy--everyone's going to remember him as the guy who stunk so bad that the administration got involved!

KnitClickChick
12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Where I used to work, there was a girl who smelled like cat pee. Usually, you could only smell it if she walked past, but one day the smell was so strong, it was hanging over the area like a cloud. It was so awful, the vice president pulled her aside to talk to her about it and made her go home. She never smelled bad after that. Where I work now, my manager (she is so sweet, I love her to death) has the WORST breath. I cringe when she is at my desk.... her breath smells like a combination of poop and mothballs. :ick:

SnarfyCat
12-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Nothing irritates me more than when co-workers who work in the hospital with me where we have a NO PERFUME POLICY!! to benefit the patients health et wellbeing, have heavier perfume than what you smell when you go into the yankee candle shop!! PS I work in the ICU at a hospital.

jess_hawk
12-12-2007, 02:10 AM
I get slightly nauseated by the smell of gummi bear body spray because my best friend in middle school wore it. Now, she didn't overuse it. Nono, she spilled an ENTIRE BOTTLE on me in second period PE class. After sitting in that smell for a day, **gags**.
My best friend (and several relatives, but the important thing for this story is my friend) has a scent allergy. Nobody ever thinks of people like that! We were in choir together and there is nothing worse for smelly perfumes, hair sprays, lotions, etc. than a bunch of performers. I remember at least twice when I had to drag my friend outside because he was ashamed to admit that he couldn't breathe. Fortunately anyone with eyes and ears can spot the results of a reaction to perfume. Anyway, as a result of this, I never overdo scents and never wear any at all unless I know I will only be in close contact with people who don't have scent allergies (it was VERY exciting when I went off to college and discovered that NONE of my friends are allergic to perfume!).

starburst
12-12-2007, 03:03 AM
I almost went into anaphalaxsis when I was in junior high because the guys in our trumpet section decided to see how long it took to empty out two bottles of Axe spray. Luckily the room was massive (nice vaulted acoustic ceilings) and I got out quickly. I have bad allergies to chemicals and oh my goodness, even if I didn't, the smell of that crud is so gross that I think the stench alone could have killed me haha

The.Knitter
12-12-2007, 06:01 AM
OMG! :roflhard: I'm so glad I work at home BY MYSELF!!!

ME TOO!! Although the cat sometimes smells a little funky, but I can live with that.

:roflhard:

hocns
12-12-2007, 07:55 AM
ME TOO!! Although the cat sometimes smells a little funky, but I can live with that.

:roflhard:

People think I'm odd. I don't mind the smell of cat poop, but scented cat litter (I bought some once that was mislabeled as unscented) makes me ill. The cats don't like it much either.

People make "scented bears": plush toys dipped in highly scented paraffin. These are sold as "air fresheners", and also considered as good gifts for people in hospitals and nursing homes. I can't imagine spending time in a closed hospital room with a scented bear, assuming our hospital allowed them, which it wouldn't.

inkaholic
12-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Oh, I HATE the smell of cat litter! My mom buys the kind that's scented and it's awful. The only kind I can take is the kind that releases scent when the cat paws at it. For some reason that one isn't as intense...but all other kinds make me so sick.

Luvmyrottnboy
12-12-2007, 10:07 AM
There is a kid in the dorm I manage who has the worst BO! Yup, I understand completely the "scent following" thing. If he uses the bathroom near my office I use another one as it takes a long time for it to air out!

The absolute worst odor I ever experienced was last month when I brought my dog home from the animal hospital after eye surgery. Dumb me, picked him up, brought him home and went to work after. Poor dog had a HUGE case of the runs. Poor baby at least did it all in one place in "his" room. My dog is BIG and this case was BIG too!

It was absolutely toxic. Even after cleaning it, and washing the floor the odor just hung. I tried the Febreze air freshener and it made it worse. Even the next day it was awful.

I picked up a can of Oust the next day and that worked like a charm. I don't like air fresherners and scented candles either but sometimes you just have to do it!

knitncook
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Not sure if anyone has suggested this, but it could be that her perfume doesn't stink, but her body chemistry makes it change scents. My dh cannot wear cologne. It smells good for about 5 mintues and then he reeks!! He doesn't have any odor normally (no sweaty smells or musky smells) but put cologne on him and GAG!! Maybe it is the same thing. Also, does she smoke? I have found that people who smoke and wear perfume tend to do something weird to the scent as well. Not sure what it is, but even my favorite scents smell bad on someone who smokes. It wouldn't be impolite for you to mention that her perfume is distracting. She probably isn't aware. And it would greatly improve your working environment.