PDA

View Full Version : Alligator Scarf Kit

photolady
12-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I would LOVE to knit the alligator scarf that's shown above, but, would like to know if anyone else has knitted it.
If you have, are the scales on the gator hard to make? I've never seen anything like them.

Living in Florida, I'm a Gators fan, and this would be SO great to wear around here! Knit it in blue and orange! :woot:

But, I'm not sure if I can do this. Anyone else done this gator scarf?

Julie
12-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I haven't knit it, but I just looked it up on Ravelry, and the general consensus seems to be that the pattern itself is really good, not too hard -- but the yarn that comes in the kit is kind of scratchy. A lot of people substituted different yarns.

tilllie
12-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I made the kid size for my granddaughters and found it to be really easy. I didn't use the yarn that came with it cause for the little girls I wanted to use something machine washable and dryable. The "scales" are made by increases and binding off. Pattern is quite easy to follow. I just wish I had taken pictures before I sent them to them. Have fun with it!!!Tillie

labeelady
02-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Just ordered the kit today. I picked one of the new colors, SwampCroc.

Wildfire
02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Yay for Alligator scarves! I got the alligator kit and the dragon kit from my fiance for Valentine's Day and I just finished the head for the alligator scarf. It actually knits up really fast and is fairly simple to understand the pattern.

I think any beginner should be able to do this scarf with the help of the videos on this site for any of the technical terms. I am using the yarn that came in the kit. It is a little rough, but I believe it is natural fibers....(I still found hay bits in the yarn). I can't wait to try this with other yarns. I've already got a waiting list of friends who want me to make one for them. Now what to charge....hmmm.... I'm thinking an arm and a leg. Literally ^^; Ok ok, the euphoria of knitting this scarf still hasn't settled in me yet. But I'd also like to share that I got the 'lagoon' color since I love blue.

McKnitty
02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
I haven't knit it, but I just looked it up on Ravelry, and the general consensus seems to be that the pattern itself is really good, not too hard -- but the yarn that comes in the kit is kind of scratchy. A lot of people substituted different yarns.

I thought merino wool was supposed to be a soft wool. The merino yarns I've knitted with (from my LYS) have been soft and a joy to work with, so is it the brand?

Stonington
02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Good Morning,
Does anyone know if this is available as pattern only. I went out onto Ravelry and one of the posts says it is available both ways
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/alligator-scarf
but on their website I can not find just the pattern - :??
Thanks so much!
anne
sebago, me
I would LOVE to knit the alligator scarf that's shown above, but, would like to know if anyone else has knitted it.
If you have, are the scales on the gator hard to make? I've never seen anything like them.

Living in Florida, I'm a Gators fan, and this would be SO great to wear around here! Knit it in blue and orange! :woot:

But, I'm not sure if I can do this. Anyone else done this gator scarf?

labeelady
02-22-2008, 10:34 PM
I posted a pic in the KAL topic, but I'll reprint it here for you.
This is how it looked last night.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/2282407409_7afeafda57.jpg?v=0

knitternut
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I am thinking of ordering this kit to knit for a couple of friends. I looked on the site but couldn't find extra yarn to order for the gators so I can make two.
If I substituted yarns any suggestions of what might be best?
Yarns from somewhere else would be fine.

The site just calls it merino gator yarn.

labeelady
02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I should think Cascade 220 would work. It's about the same thickness and it's also merino.

knitternut
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Ok, I'll look into that.
Thanks.

knitternut
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I got an email from Moorehouse yarns and the gator scarf pattern can now be purchased by itself and the gator yarn is on sale till March 16.:knitting:

labeelady
03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes, I know! I've already posted that info in the Alligator Scarf KAL topic.

Stonington
03-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I got an email from Moorehouse yarns and the gator scarf pattern can now be purchased by itself and the gator yarn is on sale till March 16.:knitting:
Knitternut,
Thank you for posting this! I have e-mailed them a few times and never gotten a response. This is exciting lol! :woot: I did not want to purchase the kit- so many complaints about the yarn. Thanks again! :hug:

PS I just order both, the adult and children's patterns.. whoo hoo
anne
sebago, me

sheena193
06-05-2008, 08:29 AM
I just received my kit yesterday after seeing everyone's projects on Ravelry. I am a new knitter and I have a question about how to do an increase in the patterns "knit 1, increase 1 - pick up yarn between stitches with left-hand needle - pick it up from the front towards back - then knit into the back of the loop over needle." Does this increase have a name? I would like to review the online videos to see how it is done.

Cynamar
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm making one right now but without the kit. I'm using Wool Ease. It's easy and I'm a beginner. If you can do an increase, e-loop cast-on (for eyeballs), knit two or three together, and bind off you are set. My advice is to use a pointy needle!

labeelady
06-05-2008, 09:48 AM
To make the increase, all you do is pick up the horizontal bar between the stitches and knit it through the back. I find it easier to pick up the bar from the back to the front with the RIGHT needle, insert the left needle under the front leg, then knit it.

sheena193
06-05-2008, 01:29 PM
thanks for the quick replies, however I am still not getting it. Do you know what this increase is called so I can view the videos?

Cynamar
06-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm quoting from the pattern, "work increases throughout the pattern as follows: pick up yarn between stitches with left-hand needle--pick it up from the front towards the back--then knit into the back of the loop over needle".

Cynamar
06-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Here is mine so far. I started him last night at Knit Night and ripped him out three times because I was talking! I just pulled him out of my purse and took his picture with my phone for ya.

munchkin928
06-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I think that increase is the M1L/M1F here on knittinghelp.com

labeelady
06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Ahh..okay, it's called a M1 (short for Make 1).

There's a M1L and a M1R. The one you want is a M1L.