PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for knitted clothes

victoriousleefree
12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Hello I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how much to charge for requests of knitting children clothes.

One is for a newborn for a sweater, hat, and booties. What is a fair price?

And another request is for a sweater for a 3 year old.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

bailsmom
12-06-2007, 11:36 PM
I say one million dollars. ;) Give or take a buck or two!! :roflhard:

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!!

Jan in CA
12-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Have you knit a sweater before? Figure out how much the yarn will cost and then figure how much time it will take. Probably more than most people want to spend. :shrug:

hocns
12-07-2007, 05:29 AM
In our area a baby set (jacket, hat and bootees) made of fairly fine yarn will sell for $35-45. A friend of mine makes them and they take her several days each. I can knit a hat in 3-4 hours and get $20-35, depending on the yarn. You will NEVER catch me making baby clothes.

Shandeh
12-07-2007, 07:21 AM
I would ask them to go with you to choose the yarn. That way, they will see how much the yarn costs, and should be willing to pay for it right there. Then, the only thing left to charge them for is your time. You can talk to them about how long it should take to make, then work out something that will be feasible.

Or, you could find out something they could do for you in return. Maybe they have a skill that could be bartered.

Once, I bartered piano lessons for getting someone to paint my house. :wink: (I taught their 2 children for a specified time in exchange.)

Silver
12-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Not enough. I'll never knit to sell, because people don't want to pay a fair price for my time.

However, a good jumping off point for handmade items is 3 or 4 times the cost of supplies.

Jan in CA
12-07-2007, 02:11 PM
What is your time worth? If it takes you 10 hours to make a baby sweater start to finish ....

$100 that would be $10 an hour
$50 that would be $5 an hour
$30 that would be $3 an hour

And that's not counting supplies. Most people are not willing to pay you a fair wage.

Plantgoddess+
12-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I had one woman who wanted me to knit her a sweater to wear under her mink cape and I quoted her a price that I thought very reasonable and would net me maybe $.50 an hour and she was outraged. Needless to say I didn't do the project.

knitncook
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Not enough. I'll never knit to sell, because people don't want to pay a fair price for my time.

However, a good jumping off point for handmade items is 3 or 4 times the cost of supplies.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! I also don't knit to sell because then it is no longer a leisure fun activity. It now has become work. I have one job. And I'm a mother. So that's two. Oh and don't forget a wife. There's three. And I own 3 demanding cats. I have enough work. I want something to relax with!

Chikky
12-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Hmm, this is all very interesting! I'd only ever knitted scarves for people. And I hate to charge alot because I just love to do it, and the woman I made the one scarf for paid me far more than I was asking (though it wasnt perfect so I hated to take it from her).

So I'd have no idea about actual clothes!!

BlueEyezz
12-07-2007, 08:52 PM
The only thing I'll knit to sell is a scarf or a pair of wristwarmers. Wristwarmers are so quick and a friend has already offered to pay for a pair and isn't even rushing me to do them, so I'm all for it. I don't think I'd knit anything complicated to sell, though. . .too much time involved.

Shandeh
12-07-2007, 09:20 PM
I also don't knit to sell because then it is no longer a leisure fun activity. It now has become work............I have enough work. I want something to relax with!
My sentiments EXACTLY! Whenever I make anything for my family, they immediately go on and on, saying, "You should make these and sell them!"

I always answer, "I knit for fun, not for work." I don't want to turn my leisure activity into a chore.

saracidaltendencies
12-07-2007, 10:57 PM
I try to charge a fair price and still make enough for the time I put into the work...I also don't do any big projects for anyone as I know the cost would be far more than most would be willing to pay.

I used to work at a quilt store years ago and the owner did consignments with people who wanted to sell their work. We always got people coming in admiring the quilts, however, no one wanted to pay the price, especially when they could go to Wal-Mart and buy a quilt for $20...lol...

I only do scarves, hats, wristwarmers, cell phone cases, and the likes...I do the smaller things that I can finish quickly and charge less for. I sell my hats for roughly $30, however, if someone buys more than one hat at a time, I'll knock off a few bucks for them. I only charge about $20 for the scarves, even though they take more time than the hats, because even I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $20 for a scarf...well, unless it was one bad a** scarf! LOL The cell cases and wrist warmers, anywhere between $10 and $15.

I'm probably cutting myself a bit short with my work, however, the hats I do have been taking off like wildfire! I figure I'll get more charging a fair price and getting a lot of 'business' than I would charging more and having less people to buy them.

So far, between the hats and cell cases I've done, I've made over $200.

It really depends on you though, what you feel is a fair price for your work, the materials, and, whether you're doing it because you need the money, or, doing it more as a favor. We've gotten to the point where selling my work has become a necessity which is also another reason I stick to smaller projects. I don't want to get too burned out...lol

victoriousleefree
12-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Thank you so much for all your replies. It helps a lot and at least gives me an idea where before this, I had no clue.

Happy Knitting!!!!