PDA

View Full Version : Fetching - fingerless gloves

katrs5
12-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Ok, once I get my "join the round" thing figured out, I want to make these.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTfetching.html

However, what does this part mean...
Next Round: Using waste yarn, k7; slip these sts back to left needle and k them again using working yarn; work in 4x1 Rib as set to end.

Or maybe I'm asking why would I do this? It sounds like I use a scrap of yarn and use that as my yarn that I pull through to knit...then I slip (is that purl or knit wise) onto my needle and reknit them with my good yarn? Do I have that right?

Jan in CA
12-07-2007, 02:36 AM
I just used this method for the thumbs in my fingerless mitts. What you are doing is called a "thumb trick" or an "afterthought thumb." I think Elizabeth Zimmermann came up with it, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, that is exactly what you do. When you get to the point where the thumb goes you get a different color of waste yarn and knit the required number of stitches. The stitches will be on your right needle now, but move them back to the left needle as if they weren't knitted. Now knit them again with the working yarn. When you get ready to do the the thumb you can either pull the yarn out and pick up the stitches or do it this way. This is the method I used.
http://akittenknits.blogspot.com/2006/12/thumb-trick.html

ETA..this was kind of a weird looking thumb off the hands, but it looks great when you are wearing them. ;)

katrs5
12-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Jan, thanks a million. I followed that tutorial and have finished 1 fetching glove. You are right it looks weird without wearing it.

I still ended up with a few "holes". I tried picking up extra stitches, etc...and thought I had it covered, but evidently not. When I hid my "threads" by weaving them in and out, I tried to fill in the holes a bit and it turned out fine for my first one I think.

I actually had more issues with that crazy bind off. I think I'm off by 1 stitch, so the little bally thing is to the left a bit instead of in the purl section of the ribbing. Oh well. As I said - did fine for my first. :)

Thanks again