PDA

View Full Version : When do you start your Christmas knitting?

Jens
12-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Just wondering. I think I'd like to make gifts for people next year but I'd proble have to work all year. Is that what most people do?
Jen

HollyP
12-09-2007, 12:27 AM
I *should* start them the day after Christmas! But I usually start in the Fall and have a mad dash to try to finish like I am now. Procrastination is great until the deadlines loom! lol!

momwolf
12-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Not soon enoughhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_20.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gif

Debkcs
12-09-2007, 01:32 AM
As I see things for the people I want to knit/crochet for, the pattern goes into a folder. There it sits until I need another WIP to think on.

Interesting question, it will be interesting to see what everyone writes.

cmk
12-09-2007, 03:01 AM
It never seems to be early enough! A few years ago, I started to do some "serious" Christmas knitting, but I never finished all I planned.

Carolyn

zkimom
12-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I start thinking about it too late and then decide not to bother.

gingerbread
12-09-2007, 09:11 AM
I knitted most of my gifts last year. Well this year not on your life. I got oh ok thank you! So I don't think so I am going to knit for me. Oh the things that I am making for me :p.

mwhite
12-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Just wondering. I think I'd like to make gifts for people next year but I'd proble have to work all year. Is that what most people do?
Jen

This is what I do but sometimes they get them earlier, like as soon as I'm done, cause I get so excited about sharing them! LOL! CHRISTMAS IN JULY!!! :woohoo: :woot: :cheering: I am guilty of getting some last minutes done and learned to make socks in late October so still working on those... :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: My theme: Clickety Click!!! Mary

mommydearest
12-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Since I re-learned to knit in July I decided then that I would make dishcloths as gifts. I had done quite a few in :gah: acrylic :gah: , now I'm doing more in cotton - I'm giving one or two of each depending on friend/family.

I plan to start in January 2008 for next Christmas since I would like to make socks for my kids and dh and lapghans or afghans for others. I'm hoping to get those done by March - before it gets too hot again.

It's been my motto that it's never too early to start Christmas shopping (or knitting). I've had presents stashed since April.

Mary

bjc1050
12-09-2007, 11:27 AM
For a large project such as a sweater, I would start in January...February at the latest. I started the Strawberry Fields sweater and skirt set in June, 2006 and didn't have it finished until February, 2007...GD didn't come by to get it until nearly Easter.

This year I haven't knitted anything, but have crocheted 2 pairs of slippers since the end of October. They can be seen on my blog Always A Beginner here at KH. I'm just finishing a tunisian crochet bag to hold one of the pairs of slippers for DD and hope to post a photo of it soon.

Think I may start knitting a sweater for GD this January.

knitgal
12-09-2007, 11:38 AM
This is only my second Christmas since I started knitting, so I haven't had to do much Christmas knitting yet. I decided not to do any this year, but I was asked to knit a throw for my DBF's grandma as a gift- so here I am knitting like a crazy woman before Christmas!

Jax3303
12-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I usually start in April/May. That way, I'm giving myself MUCH more than enough time to finish, plus, It's early enough so I can do a lot of projects for me and birthday gift projects throughout the year.

Miley384
12-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I procrastinate (I am very good at that :rofl:) until like December 10 to start knitting. Then all I do everyday is knit. Sometimes I knit while watching tv. I also like to listen to music when I knit. I noticed that I knit faster with music. Has that ever happened to anyone else?

lostchyld
12-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I waited until too late to start scarves for my sisters. See, I didn't pay attention to what kinds of knitting I like doing. Socks, gloves and hats on size 3 needles are vastly more fun than scarves on size 11 needles. Therefore, I'm hammering away at these scarves that I already told them I was making and wishing I could just make armwarmers for my exboyfriend.

Knitting_Guy
12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm currently working on a Palindrome scarf for a friend in VA. I'll probably mail it to her in January with a "Do not open until Christmas" tag on it. :mrgreen:

Sunny_Singer
12-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I started this year in July. I worked on smaller projects like scarves in July and August when it was hot. Moved onto larger projects when the temps started dropping.

Slim
12-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I started in March, and I have made nothing but gifts since then! (I have a large family.) I'm making lots of scarves, gloves, hats, etc. Getting pretty tired of those scarves about now. And I have made so many pairs of Fetching and Dashing I have the patterns memorized. After Christmas I'm going to make something for me! That's the plan, anyway.

NancyO
12-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Jen,
It takes me a good year too to be able to have the presents finished. And besides I want to relax and enjoy the Christmas season/holyday too. I can knit what I want in December just for myself, sanity, and relaxation if the presents are already done. But of course that's in a good year when I've been well enough to do the knitting. Actually this time it's taken about 3 yrs to get the presents done. hehheheheh But that's ok! :) I've spent 3 yrs thinking and planning and working on giving and that aint no chopped liver.

:heart: Nancy :heart:

NancyO
12-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Mason,
I googled Palindrome. What a cool idea to knit up a Palindrome Scarf. Did you make the Palindrome?
Oh btw... it's so cool to see your pic! Is nice to see what peeps look like. Did you knit the hat and scarf in the pic? (hmm I presume it's your pic. heheh)
Nancy
FYI 'Level' is a palindrome.

Knitting_Guy
12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Mason,
I googled Palindrome. What a cool idea to knit up a Palindrome Scarf. Did you make the Palindrome?
Oh btw... it's so cool to see your pic! Is nice to see what peeps look like. Did you knit the hat and scarf in the pic? (hmm I presume it's your pic. heheh)
Nancy
FYI 'Level' is a palindrome.

Thanks. The Palindrome pattern is Silver's creation. It can be found here. http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/index.htm

segundoloteian
12-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Last Christmas I came up with a way around the problem of knitting procrastination and--worse--knitting frustration: I gave my family designs for their knitted gifts, then completed them (at my own relaxed and steady pace) throughout the year. At first I felt pretty guilty giving them, essentially, a stack of papers while I received beautiful--and very tangible--presents in return. But they all loved it! I was able to actively include them in their gifts--from hammering out small details in the patterns I drew up, to taking a fun afternoon excursion to choose the particular yarn. The best part was that I didn't feel pressured to hurry while knitting; this is my relaxing hobby, and the last thing I want is to make it stressful. An unexpected bonus was the anticipation and excitement that built up until their gifts were completed and mailed out. (It's a good thing we're all old enough to feint patience!)

And I'm doing it again this year!

MaleKnitter
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
That is a very good idea, and if I do not finish my projects in time for christmas then that is what i will do. I am cutting it pretty close and I think that i will have to stay up very late on christmas eve in order to finish my stuff, but I have some time off from school coming up and we are completely snowed in so I think that there is a small chance that I can complete everything in time. I have one more bag to make, and 2 sweaters to finish (they are getting very close to done)

Next year I plan to make everyone a really nice sweater (I am making nice ones this year, but they are with bulky yarn) I plan to use really nice yarn and very intricate work (no heavier than worsted weight) I have the sweater patterns all ready and I am going to start them in January and they will just be my projects all year. I can finish them in 2 months a piece and then I might make some quick-knit afghans for my sisters. If I can finish everything in time, then I plan to make a sweater for myself too (with lots of cables and such).

Leni
12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Jen

Jens:
Thanks for asking this question. I have been wondering the same thing for the last four years. I'm also hesitating because I'm not sure if people appreciate the gifts I have given.

~Leni :woot:

laptop_knitter
12-09-2007, 07:49 PM
I found my patterns in late August, ordered the wool October 10th and finished 2tops, a hat and a scarf by today. It really depends on how fast you knit, how much time you want to devote to it and who the present is for - unless you can say that person will be still be the same size by Christmas, have the same interest or favourite colours, it can be difficult to start as early as we'd all like to.

PiRaT3_fR3Ak
12-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't know when you should start but I know I started WAY too late. I started in late November :zombie: , witch happens to be when I learned how to knit. I'm not even close to have anything done yet.

stirsmommy
12-09-2007, 08:09 PM
This year I started in September but I am no where near done. I am starting for next year as soon as I am done this year so that I will have time for projects for me in between since I am feeling a bit jipped.

debinoz
12-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I started about the middle of July and just finished Friday.....

mks22300
12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
I started in September with scarves and hats, added mini Weasely sweaters to make for my class. I have only four more to knit then add their initials!

knitpurlgurl
12-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, I started way too late this year, so I am reserving these items for Christmas next year. I think that you really have to knit/crochet all year in order to have eveything you want accomplished for Christmas accomplished. I know that I had wanted to finish some shawls and lapghans for Christmas along with some sewing projects (I make primitive ornaments as gift tags) and some papercrafting. I waited until November and the time just flew around me. UGH! I NOW know that I will need to work on Christmas items all year round. :wall:

Infact, I am going to homeschool my Asperger's son next school year. As part of his art credits, we will be sewing, crafting, knitting, and crocheting together. I can't wait! :knitting:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-09-2007, 09:10 PM
i'm planning on starting this year and keep going. I've been working on gifts for my kids for yule... they MIGHT have them by christmas... at hte lastest by the time we meet up with our tribe to celebreate yule the second weekend in january...

course they're all i'm working on and they're BORING (stockingette stitch anyone?). I'm watching more tv now than i have in a long time.... i can knit and watch movies at the same time, since the one i'm making for my 9 year old has 90 stitches, i put a stitch marker every 30...

gatorjade
12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I didn't learn to knit until about a month ago, and by the time I got good enough to do a project that wasn't unsightly, I didn't really have as much time as I wanted to make little gifts for my family and friends.

But since I enjoy knitting for others much more than for myself, I have a plan. Throughout this next year, if I come across a pattern that I think a family member/friend will like, I will make it and wait to give it to him/her when I fly home for the '08 holiday season. That way I can make plenty of gifts for plenty of people without counting down how many days, hours, or minutes I have left to finish! :knitting:

WandaT
12-10-2007, 08:19 AM
I actually started crocheting stockings in Mar/Apr this year. I've also done quite a few birthday gifts during the year too. I really hunkered down in the fall and started other Xmas crocheting and knitting. I, too, have been going like a crazy woman trying to get everything done. I think, for me, it doesn't matter how early I start because if I have more time, I seem to think of more projects to make so I'm still down to the wire. I've done a lot of projects for this Xmas. I think next year I'm going to pick just a few and make some nice lace items instead of a bunch of smaller stuff. Plus all the things I want to make for ME!!!!!!!

HollyP
12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I've been really wanting to knit stockings for my family for a couple of years now. For some reason I keep putting it off. I am a step closer this year I actually bought the yarn! I think I am going to start one the day after Christmas and see what happens. I figure a year is long enough to knit 6 stockings. Now I just need to find the perfect pattern!

Sanibelle
12-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Not sson enough - I have a bunch of things done - a number of hats and scarves (sets) and some of the Fiber Trend Clogs. But I still have to make 5 more pairs of clogs (3 by next Tuesday but 1 shoe is done) and finish off a number of hats and scarves that are in various stages of completion.

I had surgery this summer and was off work for over 5 weeks and thought I would get a lot of knitting done then and I did knit a lot but it was bday gifts, and some purses for my mom and me. Then I was on vacation for 2 1/5 weeks so I am still in the same boat I am in every year.

cftwo
12-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I've already started for Christmas '08 - only because I won't have them finished in time for Christmas '07. :D

McKnitty
12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't knit Christmas presents, is that awful? I just can't take the pressure of that many gifts at one time! I knit all year and give gifts for birthdays, anniversaries, Mother's Day, etc., that way it is spread out through the year and not all due on one specific day.

Also I knit for charities, and often these don't have deadlines (unless it is a special project).

Doublereeder2
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Hmmm - I did not start soon enough because Christmas is 2 weeks away and only one project is done. :shrug: Maybe next year I will give it more thought in the summer. Crossed Fingers Or not.