PDA

View Full Version : WHICH CAST ON DO YOU PREFER? POLL

Lighting57
12-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Which cast on do you prefer, why, and for what type of articles?
I tend to use the longtail and the cabled cast on most, especially for socks and sweater edges.

Eccie
12-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I use long tail because it's the only one I know how to do :P

knitpurlgurl
12-09-2007, 04:48 PM
I use the long-tail cast on most often. It works great for most applications. However, I do like dabbling in other cast on methods. And thanks to this board, I've tried several new that I like - each for a pretty specific application. Longtail is a great, all-around cast on.

Jan in CA
12-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I use the long tail CO for nearly everything. It's fast and looks fine to me.

Ginnyb
12-09-2007, 04:56 PM
I use long tail...also because it is the only one that I know how to do!
Ginny

KnittingNat
12-09-2007, 04:59 PM
I use the long tail unless the pattern clearly and for some reason states another cast-on method. It's easy, fast and looks great to me.

dreamsherl
12-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I have learned many ways to cast on but the long tailed cast on is the one that I perfer. I find that it goes faster for me.

Plantgoddess+
12-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Longtail is the one I can do without referring to a book or website.

segundoloteian
12-09-2007, 05:39 PM
The long tail method is my all around, go-to method because it's fast, easy and presentable. That said, my knitting philosophy is based around using the best (ie most professional-looking) method for each project. For example, I love pieces that start with ribbing so that I can use the Italian Tubular Cast On (http://www.fluffbuff.com/2006/07/tubular_caston_without_the_was_1.html). It's a beautiful method, and definitely my favorite, despite not being particularly versatile.

gal51
12-09-2007, 06:35 PM
I use long tail because it's the only one I know how to do

Same here :)

Kime
12-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I generally use long tail, but for a provisional cast on I like the crocheted provisional cast on.

About cast offs; I don't care for the look of the usual cast off for ribbing, so I think it is worth the effort to do a tubular cast off, plus it seems sort of magical. Long tailed cast on looks OK for ribbing, but the cast off looks worse than the cast on.

mks22300
12-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I use the longtail cast on, 'cause that's the only one I've ever tried.

HollyP
12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
It depends on the project. Mostly if not specified I do the long tail. It's a good all around cast on.

jennylozano
12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Long tail CO. It's the fastest and the easiest.

mommydearest
12-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I love using the Long Tailed Cast On. I know the normal one with two needles which is fine but takes too long to finish. I'm much faster with LT. My ds and dh caught on very quickly with that method as well. I just wish there was a better way to measure how much yarn is needed for the cast on - I've watched Amy's video on wrapping the yarn around the needle but I still end up a couple of feet.

Mary

knitaholic
12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
I prefer the long-tail cast-on because I think it looks better and is easier for me.

Knitaholic

of troy
12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
i use a VERSION of long tail (2 color, or norwegian, or open and close) most often, but i can't say i prefer it.

i use which ever cast on is best suited to needs.

for hats, or neck edges of top down sweaters, i want a pretty cast on (italian (aka kitchener) or a picot and hem, or even a channel island
for socks, a stretchy one..

for gloves or mittens, a durable one..

( i don't know every cast on--just 40 or so!)

Shandeh
12-09-2007, 11:46 PM
I prefer long tail cast on for most projects, because it looks good.

beckyrhae
12-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I usually use the longtail cast on or a type of longtail.

I like the German cast best. Its very similar to the longtail, but it has more spring to it. Perfect for socks.

I enjoyed the continental cast on I learned from Knitting Ganseys. It has little bobbles on the cast on edge. Its cute.

I get in a very theraputic trance when doing a möbius cast on.

Marj
12-10-2007, 01:17 AM
I just learned the German cast-on too. I like the looks of it. And it's not that different from the long tail cast-on.

jdee
12-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Long tail, because it's the one I learned first. I can do some of the others, but this one just feels the most comfortable to me, and works for just about everything.

zkimom
12-10-2007, 08:06 AM
I really like the cable cast on when I'm casting on with a lot of stitches. It's fast and easy, looks as nice as a long tail but keeps me from having to frog my cast on over and over because I haven't started with enough of a tail.

For most everything else I use the long tail.

I was also listening to the Knitpicks podcast the other day and Kelley mentioned that she thought teaching the cable cast on to a beginner was easier than teaching the long tail method. I think she may be right.

bethany
12-10-2007, 08:18 AM
I love using the Long Tailed Cast On. I know the normal one with two needles which is fine but takes too long to finish. I'm much faster with LT. My ds and dh caught on very quickly with that method as well. I just wish there was a better way to measure how much yarn is needed for the cast on - I've watched Amy's video on wrapping the yarn around the needle but I still end up a couple of feet.

Mary
yes, I like the LT CO too, but it's gauging how much yarn to start out with that can really throw me! I CO probably 6 times for a big bulky sweater yesterday!

Eccie
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
What works for me, almost always, is to start with a tail that's three times as wide as the cast on needs to be. For instance, for a 6 inches wide scarf I'd give myslef 18 inches of yarn to cast on with. It's a bit too much yarn, but better to have too much than too little and have to frog the darn thing.

kristinw
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I use the long tail unless the pattern clearly and for some reason states another cast-on method. It's easy, fast and looks great to me.

ding, ding. Same for me.

dreidmom23
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I used to do the basic cast-on (since I was 8 years old), but now I am using long tail cast on and LOVE it! It is so much faster (for me anyway):knitting:

betty bat
12-10-2007, 11:44 AM
I use the long-tail, which I learned from Amy's videos. But, a subquestion to this is - do you use a knot at the beginning or just a loop? The first few times, I used a knot but read on Techknitter's blog that it was better with just a loop, tried that a few times, then found out I was looping wrong, and hopefully, I will make nice loops from now on.

GiddyKnitter
12-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Long tail for me every time x

Lighting57
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your replys. When I started this poll I listed cabled cast on and then afterwards thought that I might have named it wrong. I am referring to the knitted cast on. I hope I haven't confused anyone. This method and the LT are my favorites to use. The knitted one is great because it doesn't end up with excess yarn and it has a very nice appearance.

cookworm
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I usually use the long tail cast on, but I will also use a crochet cast on for things when both edges need to look the same (like for a rectangular shawl). I like the crochet cast on because you don't need to try to estimate how much yarn you'll need to start the cast on, but I feel that the long tail cast on is faster and I don't seem to do it as tightly as the crochet cast on.

zkimom
12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys. When I started this poll I listed cabled cast on and then afterwards thought that I might have named it wrong. I am referring to the knitted cast on. I hope I haven't confused anyone. This method and the LT are my favorites to use. The knitted one is great because it doesn't end up with excess yarn and it has a very nice appearance.

I think cabled cast on and knitted cast on are interchangeable.

honeybunmom
12-10-2007, 03:11 PM
You mean there are others than the long tail? That's what Grandmom taught me, so that's what I do.

suzeeq
12-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I think cabled cast on and knitted cast on are interchangeable.

They're made similarly, but they look a little different.

When I started this poll I listed cabled cast on and then afterwards thought that I might have named it wrong. I am referring to the knitted cast on.

And so if you confused knit cast on with cable cast on, which one did you mean by `basic cast on'? I thought you meant knitted for that one....

of troy
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh, yes there are lots of ways to cast on!

i know 40--more or less, (do you count 2 color long tail as a different cast on than 1 color Long tail? or 3 color as another?--for my purposes, i do.. (but even with out that, i know over 30!)

and i am sure i don't know all the cast ons there are!

and most cast ons have several names.

Norwegian is also called:
German,
german twist,
twisted long tail

and standard long tail is called:
double
sling shot
thumb

--and each has other names i am sure!
and some like long tail have lots of variations.
norwegian is one,
2 color simple is another
2 color braided
3 (or more) color braided
knit and purl long tail
open and closed long tail
doubled tail long tail
(and the list goes on!)

see my 5 part series about cast ons..
http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/cast-ons-part-1.html
(page 4 (every page has alink to next at end of post) is a series of LINKS, and references to learning different cast ons.. (some link back to here,(knitting help) other to blogs or on line tutorials!)

vrousseau
12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I prefer the basic cast on as it's easier for me to remember.

lelvsdgs
12-10-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't even know the name of how I cast on but I basically knit the stitches from my thumb onto the needle. I get an even cast on and it is fairly stretchy. I don't even remember how I started doing it because it's not how my Grandmother taught me. :??

knitwit
12-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I always use the long tail cast on. It's the only one I've really learned and none of the projects that I've made so far have required anything different.

saracidaltendencies
12-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Longtail...Like many others, it's still the only one I know how to do! haha

I'll learn others eventually, it's just right now, I have no need for any other cast on so I stick with what I know...lol

Lighting57
12-11-2007, 05:05 PM
And so if you confused knit cast on with cable cast on, which one did you mean by `basic cast on'? I thought you meant knitted for that one....[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------
By basic, I mean the simple loop method that most books teach, but it can be hard to work the first row from and it doesn't always yield a nice finished appearance. Again, I apologize if I haven't been clear.
Thanks for all the replys. It appears that by far the LT method is the favorite.
I do want to learn the Italian method to use when working on sweaters. It has a more polished look to it. IMHO.

shifio
12-11-2007, 06:54 PM
years ago i used long tailed cast on but a few times ran out of yarn , so use cabled cast on now

mhansen
12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I use the knit on method. I don't know how to do the others and I've watched a video from here and still can't get the long tail method. I didn't realize there were so many cast ons.

melissaatk
12-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I use the longtail caston for just about everything

followingchrist
12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I leanred the long-tail first and it was so easy and fast and already had one loop in it, I didn't bother learning the other ways. I figure if one day I need to, then I will.

Dreaming Knitter
12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I use the 'chain cast-on' aka provisional cast on, crochet CO.

Since I knit mostly scarves, I want the edges to look similar. This CO exactly matches the usual BO method.

I don't use a crochet hook though, but a thin dpn, size 3 or 4. I CO on a needle bigger than what I'd be knitting with.

This is now my favorite CO. I haven't tried it yet as a provisional CO.

JamOKnit
12-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Always long-tail, but I'm open to learning new ways! I've heard the German cast-on is best for socks.

photolady
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I love cabled cast on, now that I've learned it.
Real pretty edge.

treehugger14
12-20-2007, 01:57 AM
I didn't realize there was this much about casting on. I feel stupid now. :pout: But, I normally use the two-needle method. Which prolly applies to about a bajillion of the methods, but I mean the basic one. that was the one that the book said to do, so that was what i learned. I try to do the LT method, but for me, it doesn't look near as nice as the other way. So, I continue in my ways....

noejusti
12-20-2007, 02:36 AM
I use the long-tail cast-on most, but I do take into account if I am doing a ribbing edge or regular knit piece. Sometimes I will do a cable cast-on if the next row after cast-on needs to be a knit row to keep the "right side" of the cast-on consistent with the "right side" of the work. Or I just do an extra first row after the long-tail cast on row.

V.

miss_molly
12-20-2007, 03:47 AM
I voted basic cast-on but was confused by what it meant. I can't change my vote now, but deduct one from the tally for basic and add one to the tally for cable cast-on!

When I learnt to knit, way back, the cable cast-on was the way it was done and that was the one I learnt. I've always used it but recently tried the long tail and can't see the advantages.

Long'tail is a pain when I mis-guess the length of yarn needed; two, it doesn't always look nice against whatever stitch comes in the next row, whereas cable always looks neat; three, I don't enjoy getting tangled in yarn while I try to cast on - I guess practice would help there. But cable really is, to me, so much simpler.

Cable is easy, neat, and gives a nice edge, so unless a pattern specifically insists on long-tail I'll use the cable.

What is the advantage of long-tail that I've overlooked?

msoebel
12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Longtail is the one I can do without referring to a book or website.

Yep. It's the first one I learned how to do, and it's easy and quick. It works great for everything I make.

Newbie2Knitting
12-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I use long tail most often but want to learn German (socks are the next thing I want to conquer & I hear it's a really nice, stretchy co). I've done knitted co and backwards loop co (which is really fast but for the most part I can't stand it - too hard to knit from imho). Of Troy, how in the world did you even *find* so many ways to cast on, let alone commit so many to memory??? Every time I read one of your posts, you humble me with your vast knowledge of knitting.:notworthy:

susanc
12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I learned to cast on with the long tail method, but now I like the cable cast on. It's so nice because you don't have to guess how much tail to leave and there's no waste. It creates a really pretty edge too. :thumbsup:

BlueEyezz
12-21-2007, 05:21 PM
I use long tail because it's the only one I know how to do :P

lol, me, too...i've never attempted any others.

of troy
12-22-2007, 11:11 AM
time--eons of time, newbe to knitting!

i have been knitting 45 years, and collecting cast ons for about 20.

as for how to commit them to memory, practice.

i thing i've done is a cast on 'sampler'
to make a sampler, you need 3 or more needles the same size (ie US 8/or 4.5 mm) (any lenght, any style)and about 100 yards of a nice wool (not to dark, not too light)and some labels

you cast on --about 20 stitches-(method1) knit some ribbing, then some stocking knit, then break yarn. leave stitches on needle!

then cast on --same number--(method 2) knit some ribbing, then, hold method 1 (stitches on needle 1) BEHIND method 2 (both pieces of knitting facing front)

then knit through both the stitches on both needles (like 3 needle bind off, ONLY DON'T BIND OFF.
(at the end of row, both pieces are on 1 needle.
knit some stocking knit.. break yarn

cast on (method 3) and join it to other 2.. continue.
in the end you get something that looks like this:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/Tutorials/sampler2.jpg

KnittinMitchie
12-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I like the long tail for some reason. Probably becasue you get nice smooth edge. I have also done the backwards loop cast on which I use when doing gloves expecially when I have to add on the thumb and finger gussets.

KnitKnot
12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I find that cable cast on always gives me a neat elastic result. I do long tail occasionally but I've never been happy with how mine looks. I'd like to try some of the others though, especially tubular. I think a lot of the choice comes down to how your fingers work, how fast you can work a particular cast on method and whether you knit tightly or loosely. Or, in my case laziness once I've found one I like!