PDA

View Full Version : Can someone do me a small favor?

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-11-2007, 05:45 AM
As you might know- I live in Seoul, South Korea. We get some magazines from the states on base.. and I've been looking and looking for this 'yearly holiday' edition of a particular magazine and apparently SINCE IT IS NOW DEC 11.. it doesn't look like we'll be getting it.

So, could someone pick it up for me and mail it to me? Pretty please? I'll pay you for the postage and the magazine- just email me when you get it mailed and I'll send you a check or a money order (whatever you can get at the post-office) whatever you prefer.

The magazine is: Just Cross-stitch 2007 Special Christmas
Issue Christmas Ornaments.

If you've never seen it- it's just full of great holiday Cross-Stitch ornaments and the designers of the ornaments provide a favorite holiday recipe too.

It's the only cross-stitch issue that I buy all year and we can't get it here.. and I hope it's not too late to get it in the states now. It can be found in grocery stores or bookstores in the 'magazine handicrafts' section. *Yep, the same place you'd find knitting magazines.
Last year's issue's cost was $6.99

Oh, postage to me is the same as if I lived in the states.. not an international cost at all. So, just a magazine placed in an envelope will be perfect and low-cost.

Thanks so much IN ADVANCE.. if someone can help me out. I had emailed two friends about it- but, I've heard nothing from them for 2 weeks.. about getting it for me and.. I'm afraid if I wait much longer- the magazine might be sold out.
cloud9 This will be me.. if I can get this magazine!

mwhite
12-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I'll look today in our local grocery store and will let you know if it's there. If so, will gladly help... we can't have you over there without a favorite knitting mag! Mary

momwolf
12-11-2007, 09:04 AM
You can order it here
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=B00-00-00&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=005-375-0108

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-11-2007, 09:24 AM
MWHITE.. Thank you so much- let me know what you find out!

Momwolf.. you are the wonder woman of knowledge.. I would have never known about that website.. I checked it out.. but, they DO NOT have the APO AP option (which is my city/state) address for the military addresses. Darn it.. So, it doesn't look like I'd be able to place an order w/ them.
There are still sites 'here and there' that don't acknowledge those of us working for the US GOVT overseas.

Mulderknitter
12-11-2007, 09:28 AM
keep us updated and i will see the next time i am in barnes and noble. if now one has found it by next week pm me and I will probably be making another pre-xmas trip there, I am sure they would have it.

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks everyone- it's bedtime (tue pm) here in Asia.. so, I look forward to checking to see if someone has found the magazine when I check here tomorrow.. (well, tomorrow for me!) :hug: Yeah, for thoughtful knitters.. helping someone get a Cross-stitch book of Christmas ornaments. :D Maybe, I'll actually have time to make one.. during winter break?

HollyP
12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm on my way to B&N in a little while. I'll check and see if I can find it! I'll let you know when I get back.

mwhite
12-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Alas, Dear "Idratherbeknitting", our lone grocery store did not have it. I will keep looking and checking on this thread to see if anyone has found it. I really don't mind getting it from the website, Momwolf listed and sending to you if need be. Mary

HollyP
12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I am so sorry I didn't get out today-darn car battery! I'll be going tomorrow and be sure to get it if I see it!

chrislt8
12-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Just saw this thread so I'm a little late - but if no one else has had luck locating the magazine I'll be happy to look too, or order it and send on. Just PM me if needed :-) Chris

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Ok, let's see if anyone can find it at a grocery or book store.. if you do.. post here.. and then, we'll go from there.

Thanks for the offers. I just hope I didn't wait too long and that the magazine can still be found. AND, if it can't be found in an actual store. I select Chrislt8 to be the one to order the magazine and send it to me.. (she was my secret pal in the swap)
So, knitters.. go forth and find this magazine for me... and report back.

miccisue
12-12-2007, 07:53 AM
As you might know- I live in Seoul, South Korea. We get some magazines from the states on base.. and I've been looking and looking for this 'yearly holiday' edition of a particular magazine and apparently SINCE IT IS NOW DEC 11.. it doesn't look like we'll be getting it.

So, could someone pick it up for me and mail it to me? Pretty please? I'll pay you for the postage and the magazine- just email me when you get it mailed and I'll send you a check or a money order (whatever you can get at the post-office) whatever you prefer.

The magazine is: Just Cross-stitch 2007 Special Christmas
Issue Christmas Ornaments.

If you've never seen it- it's just full of great holiday Cross-Stitch ornaments and the designers of the ornaments provide a favorite holiday recipe too.

It's the only cross-stitch issue that I buy all year and we can't get it here.. and I hope it's not too late to get it in the states now. It can be found in grocery stores or bookstores in the 'magazine handicrafts' section. *Yep, the same place you'd find knitting magazines.
Last year's issue's cost was $6.99

Oh, postage to me is the same as if I lived in the states.. not an international cost at all. So, just a magazine placed in an envelope will be perfect and low-cost.

Thanks so much IN ADVANCE.. if someone can help me out. I had emailed two friends about it- but, I've heard nothing from them for 2 weeks.. about getting it for me and.. I'm afraid if I wait much longer- the magazine might be sold out.
cloud9 This will be me.. if I can get this magazine!

No offense, but what if 2 or 3 of us come up with the magazine - you'll only want one, what do we do with the extra copies? I don't do cross stitch, so it wouldn't be of interest to me, but I'm going to Borders today and will check if it's there for you.

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Well so far.. only one person told me that they looked for it- but, it wasn't to be found at their local grocery store. SO, I would hope that the first person who spots it.. let's me, and others here, know that they found it or that they purchased it.

They can buy it if they want and post here.. keeping in mind it is now 10:30pm WED night for me.. so, I won't check back in for 7 more hours.. so, if someone finds it.. I would hope that they'd post.. before they buy it.

OR IF THEY BUY IT.. if they post here.. others will know NOT TO BUY it???? Right???

Of course, I understand that not everyone lives right where stores that sell this magazine is located..

I will take the chance that maybe 2 people do buy the magazine for me-- if that happens. I'll pay for both of them and give it away to someone here. Not a problem for me.

Thanks for asking.

chrislt8
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Duly elected :-) I'll wait until Friday to order it - so if someone lucks out and finds it in the store please let me know. I'll check back here before placing the order on Friday.

HollyP
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
My Barnes and Noble did Not have it! They were so helpful in helping me try to find it but they had sold out. Hopefully someone else will have more luck!

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks, Holly... see it looks like I did wait too long for it to 'eventually' appear at our small newstand of magazines. :(

You know.. you just gotta have hope, right? Especially, since I found it there a couple of years ago. Sigh.. I've been checking there 'every so often' since OCT though.

Ok, if anyone finds it.. post here and let us all know- so, the search can cease.. and if not, Chrisl8 you can order it on FRIDAY.. if you don't see something here. Just please post here that you have placed the order, ok?

AND, thanks so much everyone.. the front cover of the magazine looks really good... really cute ornaments!

Rabbitrescuer
12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
I just called my local Books a Million & they have it. She's holding at the desk for me. I will go pick it up tomorrow morning. Let me know where I'm mailing it to & I'll get it out to you tomorrow.
-Christina

mwhite
12-12-2007, 06:20 PM
:woohoo: :woot: :cheering: :yay: CHRISTINA FOUND IT!!! :thumbsup:

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-12-2007, 07:11 PM
:hug: :muah: :grphug: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: Oh boy!! Christina found it.. the search is over! :D

It will arrive in time shortly after the start of my 2 week school holiday.. and I can work on one and get it finished 'before the new year begins?'

(they have to do this or teacher's wouldn't return after the way that kids get SO WOUND UP for the month leading up to winterbreak and all the festivities!)
I've sent a PM to Christina.. woo hoo.. I'm gonna get my cross-stitch ornament magazine!! I'm gonna get my cross-stitch magazine... :roflhard:

miccisue
12-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, I bought one, but it may not be the right one. It's "Just Cross Stitch" December 2007, says "25 Stunning Holiday Projects", "Exclusive Wintertime Sampler", and "Quick and Fun Gift Ideas"....it has a Santa cross stitch on the front. Is that the wrong one?

Mulderknitter
12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
I think that even if it isn't the "right" one, our beloved overseas army teacher may like it anyway??? think of it as a gift for our armed forces?:muah:

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-12-2007, 10:07 PM
MICCISUE:
I don't think it's the same thing-- this particular one that I wanted- is ONLY cross-stitch ornaments and is a special issue every year. *Someone earlier in the thread posted the location of an on-line place to order the issue (of course, they don't make allowances for those of us w/ an APO address to order it -- darn it.)

HOWEVER, I will still be happy to have this one.. and will pay for it. Send me an PM letting me know the details and I'll reply back- I'm at work.. so, I can't post anymore.. but, I read this (about the magazine that you found) and took the chance of 'logging in' and replying to let you know THANKYOU for getting it for me..
Now, now I must leave the area quickly- the kids will be back in the room in a minute or two.

THANKS all!! Now, I'll have 2 magazines to drool over. :grphug: :muah:

chrislt8
12-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Well, I went to both Barnes & Noble and Borders yesterday looking for it - both sold out. But, turns out well as your magazine(s) are found! :-) Glad they were located.

BTW, I just want to comment on how nice it is that everyone jumped in and made such efforts to help you out Jeannie (iwouldratherbeknitting)...what a wonderful group of people this forum is! cloud9

HollyP
12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Oh I am so glad it was found! I was going to check the Borders today but checked here first! I'm glad I did. I knew someone would find it!

Rabbitrescuer
12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Well it appears I got the same thing Miccisue got. I looked at it in the store & something seemed off, so came home & checked the link that was posted earlier & wrong one. So apparently search is back on. Sorry! -Christina

momwolf
12-13-2007, 01:39 PM
found these on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Just-Cross-Stitch-2007-Special-Christmas-Ornament-Issue_W0QQitemZ280177979900QQihZ018QQcategoryZ8390 8QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/JUST-CROSS-STITCH-2007-CHRISTMAS-ORNAMENTS-MAGAZINE_W0QQitemZ370005016546QQihZ024QQcategoryZ8 3908QQcmdZViewItem

cftwo
12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I know that there's someone waiting to order it for you, and since I know I won't make it to Barnes and Noble before Friday...

but I just had to say that my budget is in great danger having been directed to the Nordic Needle site. I get their weekly newsletter and usually delete it before I'm tempted. But I clicked on the link... :shock: :passedout: :oo: I could be in trouble here.

I think everyone needs Hardanger christmas tree ornaments next year, don't they?? Don't they?!?!?!?

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Ok, Chrisl8.. it is up to you.. PLEASE ORDER the magazine w/ the cross-stitch ornaments in it, ok?

Everybody.. the hunt is officially OFF. :D

Thanks so much :muah: for everyone who commented, who checked their local grocery stores and bookstores for this magazine. No one else would have tried to help as much as a 'group :grphug: of knitters would.'

I will pay for both cross-stitch magazines that have already been purchased. One I'll keep and one I'll 'gift' to someone here who cross-stitches. I can't be the only one that knows how.

AND.. CFTWO-- I'm sure that I could use a HARDANGER Christmas ornament next year .. if you need some justification for ordering the supplies. Or at the very least.. I'll ooh and aah appropriately .. if you post the photos. ;)

Mulderknitter
12-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I am so happy that you are getting your magazine! I know it has to be rough being away from home, some comforts are just what we need around the holidays. :muah: I was also going to offer to buy the not needed cross stitch books, I have a few people that might use them. Let me know IWBK, if the expense is too much and I will help out. Happy holidays! I have never been more proud to be a part of such a great group of people!:muah:

mwhite
12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I like cross stitching but don't do it very much... eyesight and fine work with tired hands are a problem. :violin: :pout:

BUT!!! The cross stitch patterns are great for intarsia and stranded work in knitting. You can't really do fine detail unless you are using very small needles but the charting is basically the same. :woohoo: :woot:

So, I'm with Mulderknitter, will gladly share the expense of any extra magazines purchased. :muah: Mary

yuyay
12-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Fellow 'in-South-Korea-for-now-er' here.
I know you declared the search off, but...
Just wondering if you have seen the magazines whatthebook? offers. I looked for that one, but couldn't find it. They have the regular issues and you can order a regular subscription here (http://www.whatthebook.com/book/M2807?section=mag), but they don't seem to have the special edition. :( So really this post is of no help in this situation... but for the future maybe....

I feel your frustration about international ordering! I was all excited about buying a set of Harmonies when I learned that they wouldn't ship to me... :hmm:

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-14-2007, 06:13 AM
There is a monthly subscribtion or from the newstand of this particular cross-stitch magazine... however, I already have a few issues from years past..

So, all I have bought in the recent past are the special HOLIDAY CHRISTMAS ornaments issue... I found it when I had a chance to go to the states for Christmas for a few years.. I was living close enough that it didn't take forever and a day to get there.. and the $$ was very reasonable-- especially if someone (the ex-boyfriend) was paying 1/2 of the airline ticket fee.

Rabbitrescuer and Miccisue if one of you haven't mailed my magazine to me yet-- could you PM mulderknitter wants to buy one of them. :D

you guys have been just great!!! :cheering:

Mulderknitter
12-14-2007, 09:25 AM
ack. I think I gave the wrong idea. I didn't really WANT one of them, I was just offering to help with the expense of the 2 if need be, ya know, in the spirit of helping others and such. I dont' really need one, but was trying to help if ya didn't want to shoulder the cost of both. :shrug:

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-14-2007, 09:52 AM
:roflhard: No worries.. mulderknitter

OK, the two 'nice helpful' magazine buyers.. just send those magazines my way... just as planned. Don't forget to send me a PM w/your mailing address and how you want to be paid!

chrislt8
12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Okay, I just heard from iwouldratherbeknitting and she is all set on the magazine (if anything changes Jeannie, just let me know). So I guess this is now to be filed under "mission accomplished"! Felt a little bit like a scavenger hunt - didn't it :lol:

Rabbitrescuer
12-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I had a good laugh this morning when I went to A.C.Moore & saw the magazine we've all been looking for sitting on the shelf. :) I had planned to go there yesterday, but ran out of steam as I had worked the night before until 1:30 am. :sleepy: They had a great sale on yarn this week ( made me miss my xmas bonus that I had to give back to the office to pay off my bill) I really think we should be able to claim animals as dependants. Anyways stopped at post office on the way home & mailed the magazine & will PM Jeannie the details. - Christina

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
This has been fun.. we've been solving a mystery.. and now we can say: CASE CLOSED

*Thanks Chris...

THANKS everyone who responded, went out looking for this magazine, and for those that did buy a magazine to send to me.. Yeah US!!

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Now, the waiting continues. I have already sent the $ to my two helpful 'elves' and they have already sent the magazines to me-- now, who will get their items first and from whom?

Knitters are such a great group of people.. Let's all have a :grphug: group hug and 'high-five' for our kindness factor. :hug: