PDA

View Full Version : Men's socks question

Nanaof6
12-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I am getting ready to cast on for a pair of socks for my hubby, my basic sock chart shows two men sizes. One is co 64 sts and the other it co 68 sts . How do I know which one to use for a size 12-13 shoe size?

needle size is us 1 with Trekking sock yarn. I am using alpaca sock weight yarn to for another pair so I may use us 1 or us 2 .I have never done gauge? I read how to but just haven't yet. I'm a bit of a snug knitter or tight as my instructor would say.

redwitch
12-12-2007, 01:07 AM
If you are talking about the Basic Sock Chart pdf., it simply tells you the way to do a heel and toe for a certain number of stitches. You decide which number of stitches gives the right size sock that you want, and you go to that chart to find out how to work those stitches. So if the sock you want, with the way you are knitting it, is 68 stitches, you then go to the chart to find out how many rounds to work the heel over, how many stitches, etc.
You might do a child's sock on 68 stitches, or you might do a sock for HUGE feet on 24 stitches. Whatever, that's up to you, but once YOU have decided how many stitches will create a sock the size you want, you then use the chart instructions to determine how many rounds and stitches to work (for that particular stitch count).
And for shoe size, you work a sock to the right length for that foot, that information is not on the chart at all.

Jan in CA
12-12-2007, 02:26 AM
Most of the sock patterns I've seen for men have you cast on 72 stitches, but if he has small feet or ankles for a man you could try 68.

tootie44
12-12-2007, 10:57 AM
For my DH I do 80 sts on size 1.5 needles.

knitncook
12-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I have small feet and I cast on 72 stitches on size 1 or 2 needles. 68 stitches are what I cast on for my dd who has long skinny feet and ankles. I'd recheck your chart to make sure you are using the right size needles and yarn. That seems awfully small to me.

Plantgoddess+
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm currently working on the 2nd sock for a pair for myself. I cast on 72 stitches on no. 1 us dpns. It's a cabled pattern and so increases to 88 stitches for body of sock. The finished sock is very snug on my calf. Consequently I am cutting back on groceries. I noticed my jeans getting a little snug. I think it's time to put down knitting and get my butt outdoors.