PDA

View Full Version : SSK vs k2tog

Newbie2Knitting
12-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm knitting my very firstest pair of mittens on my very firstest set of DPNs. :cheering: Anyway, I'm to the point where I decrease at the fingertip edge and it's calling for both SSK and K2tog in the same round (i.e., for the first round of decreases the pattern says: (SSK, K4, K2tog) 4 times - 20 sts). What would it look like if I just did K2tog all the way around? I'm having a bit of difficulty with the SSK, *especially* if I'm doing it on the first stitch on a needle - the other 2 needles are flipping every which way...

vaknitter
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
If I remember correctly it has to do with which way the resulting stitch slants - K2tog goes to the right and SSk to the left. I am working on felted clogs for Christmas presents and it calls for both decreases as well. I tend to be a pattern follower, you can always try the K2tog all the way around and see if you like the look of it - just be prepared to frog it out and start again if you don't like it.

Jan in CA
12-12-2007, 03:27 PM
k2tog is a right slanting decrease, ssk is a left slanting decrease. It looks nice when they are together, but there are no rules that say you have to do it that way. ;)

It's also easier if you knit one stitch and then do the decrease or decrease and then knit one last stitch. Just be consistent.

redheadrachel
12-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Maybe instead of SSK you could S1, K1, PSSO?

redwitch
12-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Yep Rachel's suggestion gives the same result.
Decreases lean like this / or this \ not like this l
Now imagine a lot of these lines / arranged end-to-end in a diagonal line going southwest to northeast. They line up to make a straight line like this, except vertical ---------

But when the lines are not straight end-to-end you get something a bit like this /\/\/\/\ not exactly, but the line is jagged rather than straight.

betty bat
12-13-2007, 12:41 AM
There's a very nice discussion about the types of decreases (left-slanting and right-slanting) on:

http://techknitting.blogspot.com

knitncook
12-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Maybe instead of SSK you could S1, K1, PSSO?

Yes; this decrease will also lean to the left. I use it sometimes instead of ssk if I find that I've knit a bit tighter than I should.

Newbie2Knitting
12-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Wow - thanks to all for the fantastic suggestions! I like the idea of using S1, K1, PSSO as I've been finding I'm knitting really tight. I don't know if it's just the 1st time DPN thing or if the yarn stays better b/c they're bamboo needles, but I had a pretty hard time doing the ssk on the right mitten. The right mitten is all finished now & I just finished the cuff on the left so I should have it completed by this afternoon. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again!!! :muah:

Shandeh
12-14-2007, 03:15 AM
Amy did a good job of showing the different decreases on this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/decreases

She also did the same for increases:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases