PDA

View Full Version : Do knitters and puzzles go together?

MerigoldinWA
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
This is sort of about knitting, at least about knitters. ;) I love to knit and I also love puzzles of many kinds: crosswords, word find, Sudoku, even jigsaw puzzles. My DH and I have wondered if this is rare or common among knitters. Knitting has some of the factors that make a puzzle... a challenge, mistakes to be found and corrected. Do you other knitters like to work puzzles, or is knitting the only puzzle in your life? Thanks for sharing.

Newbie2Knitting
12-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I never thought of this correlation before. I enjoy sudoku & brain teasers, but I cannot stand doing crosswords or jigsaw puzzles. Word finds are all right, but I'm not very good at them.

feministmama
12-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I knit and I love crosswords, jigsaw puzzles, soduko, puzzles of all kinds. One thing I'm not big on is murder mysterys. You'd think I would since I like to "solve" puzzles. BUt for me its more like I need to fill in the box. I don't care who dunnit, it just needs to get filled in.

Ginnyb
12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I like word puzzles, but not so much jigsaw. I have noticed a lot of readers and cat lovers on this forum too...intersting...

Ginnyb

Eccie
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I like logic puzzles and sudoku, brain teaser and riddles. I hate jigsaw puzzles and crosswords

The.Knitter
12-12-2007, 05:51 PM
I enjoy puzzles. I love the word find ones. I'm not that good at cross words but I try. I love majong puzzles too.

AND yes I read a lot and I have a cat!

knitncook
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Oh yes! I absolutely love puzzles. I have sudoku by my bed and do it every evening. I also love word puzzles and logic puzzles. Jigsaw puzzles are rare as we have cats that think the pieces make great toys and then added fiber for their diet. But if it weren't for the cats we would have a table set up with a jigsaw puzzle on it that we could work on all the time. Interestingly, my dh is the only one in the house who doesn't knit and he also doesn't enjoy puzzles.

Plantgoddess+
12-12-2007, 10:28 PM
I like jigsaw puzzles, majjong, and solitaire games. Don't particularly like cats, love dogs and horses. Not much for crossword puzzles. Love to read.

MerigoldinWA
12-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks everybody. I also like to read and forgot to mention that I love solitaire games (spider and free cell). What is majjong? I'll do a Google search. ;-) We have two outside cats, but I'm a little afraid of cats. It sounds like there are some other puzzle lovers out there.

saracidaltendencies
12-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I love puzzles! I love anything, really, that stimulates my mind. I enjoy crossword puzzles, sudoku puzzles, word find puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, I love reading and writing...Oh yeah, and I have 5 cats...lol...I think what it is is people who knit do it not only because they enjoy it but because it's also a bit of a challenge. I've read puzzles increase brain power simply because they force you to think and focus, much the same as knitting. Even if you don't think you're thinking about what you're knitting, subconciously, you are.

It is interesting to note too, that many people who posess such a creative streak are big time cat lovers. Makes me wonder if it's because cat's are such independent creatures and they pretty much do things on their terms...lol...If they want to cuddle, they'll climb up on your lap, if they want to be left alone, they'll run and hide, or, bite you/smack you and run...hahaha...I think many people who are creative are much the same way, (well, except maybe for the attack and run) very independent, they don't necessarily adhere to 'the rules' and they do things on thier own terms, in their own way. They have a bit of a carefree outlook and don't care too much what others think. I could be way off base though...lol...Just my perception

Ingrid
12-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Another puzzler here! I love crosswords, for years did jigsaw puzzles, but now I knit and can't be bothered with them. I also play puzzles on the computer.

Oh-love cats, too.

debinoz
12-13-2007, 12:00 AM
I love crosswords and jigsaws. Most of the time I'm playing jewel quest or text twist on my computer.

Scythe
12-13-2007, 02:59 AM
I am all about the puzzles, especially math puzzles, though I don't turn up my nose at word puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, logic puzzles or any other type of puzzles. I am not all that fond of word searches, but that's because to me there's nothing to figure out with those ones -- no deduction involved.

I love cats, but I also love dogs! And I'm not that good at knitting. I make scarves and hats. Nothing but scarves and hats. And up until a few years ago it was nothing but stuffed animal scarves. I had a hard time finishing projects so I started *really* small. But then knitting was only something I'd do when I was *forced* to be away from my computer. Now I just knit at my computer, saves a lot of trouble and I have more time for my projects :D

boo1
12-13-2007, 07:16 AM
I love puzzles, esp. crossword puzzles and brain teasers, but I hate jigsaw puzzles. (Well, I like doing the edge and then I'm bored. Besides, if you own a cat, how can you do these? They're always in the middle of them!)

And I ADORE cats!

lostchyld
12-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I like sudoku and jigsaw puzzles. I'm not so good at correlations, so wordfinds without a word bank aren't so good and I dislike crosswords because they rely more on trivia than word knowledge and my trivia bank is meh.

I do occasionally like working on the cryptoquotes in the paper, but I don't usually finish them. Again, poor working knowledge of the list of quotes they use makes it hard and worse, I don't always know the person they're quoting.

Cats are my Achilles Heel, health wise. I'd love to keep a cat, but keeping one would likely kill me. Yay for allergies. There may be hope, though. My aunt has a house cat that I could cuddle up to my face without having a bad reaction. Now if I can just find a place that allows cats and convince her to give the cat up...

lostchyld
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Double Post, sorry

SabrinaJL
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I love puzzles of all sorts, have figured out that it is possible to knit and read at the same time and I have 2 cats. Interesting.

MerigoldinWA
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
This has been very interesting. :) I see that quite a few of you like puzzles of different kinds. Helping people in the folder about knitting problems is kind of like doing puzzles too, don't you think?

I found this site (http://www.freerice.com/index.php) recently when visiting someone's blog. I added it to my personal bookmarks in my "fun and games" folder. It is a vocabulary quiz like thing and for every word you get right they donate 20 grains of rice to hungry people. If you get the words right you get harder words and if you miss, the words get easier. It is like a game, you learn and donate rice. :thumbsup: I thought some of you other game and puzzle people might like it. I'm posting this in "off topic" too, so others may see it.

chrislt8
12-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Another "puzzler" here...especially crosswords, logic, word games (love TextTwist too!)...not so big on math/number puzzles. Am an avid reader - but no cats (or pets in general) :shrug:

gatorjade
12-13-2007, 05:34 PM
I keep a word search puzzle book, crossword puzzle book, AND leisure reading book in my purse at all times (yep, my purse is huge). They're great to have if I'm on a quick bus ride, waiting for class to begin, etc. Sitting around with nothing to do is impossible for me! :nails:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-13-2007, 08:37 PM
i think so. I'm a fountain of "useless knowledge" and i enjoy things that require me to analzye and put things together (all the CSI's, jigsaw puzzles, etc).

I think because we can see the finished product when we're given just a few pieces (or rows) our brain just works that way.

starburst
12-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I love trivia, puzzles of all types, mind games, etc. One of my nicknames is also fountain of useless knowledge. I kick butt at scrabble and jeopardy :)

*** for pets--I have two cats, two birds, and lots of fish, but I am hoping to get a dog in the next year

Catz
12-14-2007, 05:16 AM
I love to do crosswords,majong,jigsaws,soduko and word searches. I'm hopeless at mysteries.

I also have 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 budige and a tank of tropical fish. You can't beat knitting while having a cat nap on your lap lol. Magnum doesn't really bother with yarn while I'm knitting but Harvey will.

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-14-2007, 09:07 AM
I like Scrabble and word games, reading, and reading mysteries.. and I've had pet cats in the past.. just can't have them where I live now.

bjc1050
12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
While I don't especially like Sudoku, I do like most other puzzles...crossword and jigsaw puzzles are my favorites. I see a similarity between knitting or crochet to jigsaw puzzles. You are putting a puzzle together stitch by stitch.

We have 3 dogs and one small parrot. We've had cats in the past, but DH says no more cats now.

1to1
12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh, DD12 and I :heart: doing puzzles. I was just thinking last night that I'm surprised she doesn't have one out right now. Guess, she needs to get through finals first...once xmas break is here she'll have one out. Last year she received a dozen 1000 piece puzzles for xmas.:happydance:

yuyay
12-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I love logic and spacial puzzles (like sudoku and jigsaw puzzles) but I hate trivia puzzles like crosswords (unless the hints are more logic or language based, which is rare). I love finding patterns (which explains my love of linguistics) but my loathing of random memorized knowledge was the bane (and end) of my academic career.

My mom used to love drawing random lines on paper and then colouring in the shapes. She's now a quilter.... There's no question about that relationship!

Jan in CA
12-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I love cats and dogs and at this very instant I'm trying to type with a cat draped across my arm. :teehee: I also like Sudoku, jigsaw puzzles, crossword, well..all kinds of puzzles I guess. I also love to read.. mostly mysteries, but I also like other stuff except I hate those self help books. Right now I'm reading The Stupidest Angel - A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror. :roflhard:

mhansen
12-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I do not do puzzles of any kind. I just like to knit. I used to read but now I knit.

starburst
12-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Now I can't wait to go home and snuggle with my cat Birdie (yup, I named my cat Bird and no, I wasn't little when I did so haha)

I can't wait until I can move out and take Birdie-girl with me

losnana
12-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Interesting thread! I love to read, do at least one crossword puzzle every morning and try to do the free rice everyday too. I like spider solitaire and mahjong. Enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles with dgd, but don't have a place to really keep one up at my house.

Debkcs
12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
I like any puzzle that involves words. Don't care for jigsaw puzzles at all, find them tedious. Of course, my husbands' neurologist finds knitting tedious, as he told me one day. He's a water colorist, which isn't really portable,is it? Love to read, almost any subject. Here's the sad thing, we've always had cats. For the thirty five years of our marriage, we had more than one. Now we don't have any, we've had four for quite awhile, but they all died in the last year. We do still have two dogs; and a lost kitten or cat might wander in some day, and have a home.

cindycactus
12-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I love to read. Love crossword and jigsaw puzzles. Love all solitare games and mahjong. Like cats, love dogs. I start every day with two crossword puzzles in the morning paper then it is on to the computer where I visit several puzzle sites. I have always love to knit. This is an interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.:muah:

MerigoldinWA
12-15-2007, 09:09 PM
More thanks to all you puzzlers and knitters out there (and to the one dear soul who said they didn't do puzzles, we need your input too). I'm going to be away from my computer for at least 48 hours. Well, more than that since I have a 48 hour shift at work. I work as a care giver and get to knit and do puzzles at work (as well as sleep some if it is a night shift :-).