PDA

View Full Version : learn words, have fun, donate rice

MerigoldinWA
12-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I recently found this site and have been going to it for something challenging to do. My DH and I have been doing it together and it has been fun. I thought others would like to know about it.

It is a vocabulary building game, if you get words right you get harder words and if you miss you get easier words. For each word you get right the advertisers on the site donate 20 grains of rice to hungry people in the world.

Here is a link to the site. FreeRice (http://www.freerice.com/index.php)

I hope you enjoy it and we knitters can help donate a lot of rice!!:thumbsup:

Sharly
12-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Wow - that is addictive! And, I checked it out on Snopes.com and it is a legitimate way to help feed the hungry! Thanks Merigold!

jheatherley
12-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Great fun. Reached 1000 grains very quickly and figure that if I do that a few times a day, a lot of people will get fed. I've added it to my folder where I keep donate-for-free sites -- those whose sponsors donate to your charity of choice just for your visiting their site.

feministmama
12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
I got to 1000 grains in a few minutes. Pretty cool

knitncook
12-13-2007, 08:56 PM
I said I would stop at 1000 grains. then it was too easy to do 2000. Sheesh, I'm addicted. My name is Michelle and I am addicted to words!

MerigoldinWA
12-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. The last time I was there I got 4000 grains. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it would maybe be a meal or even 2. (How many grains make a meal?) But with everyone working together we get quite a bit in a day. Besides it's fun!! I'm glad you like it.

jess_hawk
12-13-2007, 10:14 PM
hehe I did this for about an hour once instead of homework.
My statistics teacher didn't understand why I turned in a vocabulary worksheet.
(jkjk)

knitncook
12-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. The last time I was there I got 4000 grains. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it would maybe be a meal or even 2. (How many grains make a meal?) But with everyone working together we get quite a bit in a day. Besides it's fun!! I'm glad you like it.

I was going to try to figure out how much that was, but I only had wild rice in the house that isn't in a box. But I found this on YahooAnswers (not authoritative, but it looks about right):
There are 1,000 grains of rice in a tablespoon full of rice (and 1,000 grains of rice = 20 grams). So 50 table spoons of rice is a kilo of rice and 50,000 grains."

However I don't think that is right. I am quite sure that there are less than 1,000 grains in a tablespoon of rice. Even my long grain rice was measuring around 75 grains per teaspoon, so three times that is 225 grains. Regular long grain rice is fatter than wild rice, so I would think it would equal out with the lack of length. So I'm thinking ever 3 correct answers is a teaspoon of rice.
I may just have to go buy some rice tomorrow to figure this out!