PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Up Hat~Need Help

Rockstar
12-13-2007, 10:00 PM
I am, of course, really nervous because this is my first knitted hat. I knitted it on regular needles, and I am confused about this part of the pattern....."Cut a 14" tail of yarn, thread a yarn needle with it. Carefully pull the last row of knitting from the needle and thread the needle through every stitch. Pull tightly then whip stitch the seam shut."

Now where do I start to pull the yarn through at? Do I start by threading it through the first stitch that comes off the needle? Or the last stitch that comes off the needle? Do I cut a separate piece of yarn? Or do I cut it off of my work?

Thanks to all!

Jints
12-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Take the yarn still attatched to the sts on the needle and cut it approx. 14in long, thread the cut end into the sewing needle.
Now you thread that through the sts. I find it easiest to slip the sts one or two at a time onto the needle and pull thread through each one, starting at the first st that comes off the needle.
Then just pull tight, and continue on sewing down the seam with that same thread.

suzeeq
12-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Not a sewing needle, but a darning/tapestry needle. They have large eyes and blunt tips.

Babette
05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I am finishing up hat and ready to seam or close it up. The bottom or actually the brim has a rib stitch. The other part is in Stockinette.
How do a close up the k1, p1 brim. I used straight needles.
thx, Babette:cool:

suzeeq
05-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Use the mattress stitch to seam the edges together. It works whether you have 2 knits, 2 purls or one of each.