PDA

View Full Version : Ripping Out My Cable Sweater, But Where Am I?

JANANN
12-14-2007, 10:59 PM
I am knitting a cable pattern sweater and I've had to rip it out a few times. I have been tracking my work using a index cards in a spiral book. It works great except I guess I got distracted because I have noticed that the cable is messed up...unfortunately it took me quite a few rows to notice. I don't want to rip all of it out again I'd like to just take it out to before the error...but because I'm off the pattern even if I count the rows that I take out I won't end up in the right place in the pattern based on the pages in the book of index cards. Is there any way to tell where I am in the pattern? This is my first time working with cable so this is bound to happen again and I'll never get this sweater done if I keep having to rip it out and start over again and again. Even if I do have to rip it out, if anyone has a suggestion of how to avoid this again...a better way of keeping track I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks!

dreamsherl
12-14-2007, 11:11 PM
When I make mistakes on a cable pattern, I rip back to the row before the cable twist. I after putting the stitches back on the needle, I know that the next row is the one where I twist the cable. I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Ingrid
12-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Ripping out to before the cable twist is a great idea. After that, take a good look at the cables you've done. Find a way that works for you to count how many rows appear between the twists. Compare them to each other.

If you can find a way to 'read' your knitting, then you don't have to be a slave to a row counter.

janettle
12-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Here is a link to Amy's videos on fixing mistakes:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

If you scroll about a third of the way down the page, you will see a section entitled "Fixing Mistakes". There are 3 videos in this section that I think would be helpful to you and help you rescue your project without unraveling the whole thing:
- Inserting a needle into destination row, *before* unraveling
- Using a "lifeline."
- How to re-insert your needle

Good luck! Let us know how it's going.

redwitch
12-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Is there a regular cable, like one that crosses every 6th row? If so you can start from the bottom once you have stopped ripping, count how many crosses, if there are 10 then you know you're on row 56 plus however many rows you did before the first cable and after the last cross... I think. Worst case, start from the bottom and carefully count the rows.

JANANN
12-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I'll take look the videos....visual aids are a big help. Thanks for the info.

JANANN
12-15-2007, 09:14 PM
I think I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew....but I'm not going to give up. I think it's a bit more complex than a regular cable. It has for cables that weave back and forth over each other. It's really pretty....but I think having the added cables is part of what is making it hard to determine where I am. Thanks so much for your advice.