PDA

View Full Version : Chestnuts, am I the only one?

Mulderknitter
12-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I LOVE chestnuts. But it seems that everyone I try to introduce to them doesn't like them:pout: I have a very simple recipe that has been handed down for generations, and every year at xmas time it's a special treat, because that is the only time you can find them in the stores.
heat oven to 450
slice chestnut pre-cooked in an x across the flat part
bake for 10-15 min
wrap in towel soaked and wrung of cool water until cool enough to peel
peel, lightly salt, yum!:yay:
Just wondering if I am "nutty" or if anyone else likes them? Is this an Upper Michigan thing (where I grew up)

cmk
12-17-2007, 07:40 PM
You're not the only one, I love chestnuts, too! I don't salt mine. (I grew up on the west coast)

Carolyn

ecb
12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
LOVE Love love
lovelovelovelove Love
Nothing makes me happier than roasted chestnuts, in stuffing, or out in a bowl, I Love them
the flavor is like NOTHING else
I will have to stop going on and on
I love them (did I say that)

ecb

BinkyKat
12-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I've never had them the old fashioned Christmas carol way. But by brother and I just talked about this very subject a week ago! He's had them before but never made them himself. I'll have to pass along your "recipe" :thumbsup:

cristeen
12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm not terribly fond of roasted chestnuts, but if you make them into a soup, I'm there! Although I haven't tried them roasted since I discovered the soup, I might like them better now.

When you say Roasted chestNUT, I expected a roasted nutty flavor, and crunch... not the soft mild flavor I got. I imagine that's a large amount of why I didn't care for them.

Try feeding them to people without identifying them, see if that makes a difference.

Oh, and I buy bags of frozen chestnuts at this time of year and store them in the freezer to use all year.

mwhite
12-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I love 'em, too, just never had them fresh and roasted! We throw the canned ones into the dressing, YUM! I'll have to try the fresh ones!

BinkyKat
12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Bro and I were discussing if they are like boiled peanuts. On foodnetwork Paula Deen did a bit on that. My brother said a guy he was in the army with pined for boiled peanuts and would get them in tins from home. I've not had boiled peanuts, but I'm not sure what they would be like. I imagine they would be like eating baked beans? :shrug:

mwhite
12-18-2007, 08:46 AM
OMG! You poor child, Boiled Peanuts are DELISH!!! The fresh ones are SUPER DELISH.... I think every convenience store between here and Atlanta has them. Mary

nonny2t
12-18-2007, 09:30 AM
I've never even tried one or seen one except on tv or such. Do they have a taste similar to any other nut as I pretty much love all nuts.

I've never even seen them sold anywhere down here. In fact, I am not sure I ever saw them in Northwest Indiana where I grew up either, but I imagine since you Michigan folks eat them they were probably somewhere up there.

Indiana is big on walnuts at Christmas, which I don't care for unless in my kieflies.

I am a cashew freak.

Mulderknitter
12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I always thought they tasted like warm soft nutty meaty something....:?? I guess it's a mellow taste, but if you aren't expecting it I guess it can taste weird.
Thanks for the tip on freezing them! but at $5.99 a pound I can't afford to do a lot of that!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-18-2007, 09:54 AM
i like them but i'm allergic.

Silver
12-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Ok, I saw some at the store just yesterday and just looked at them because I didn't know how to cook them. I'm going to get some next time and try roasting them.

If they're anything like a boiled peanut, my family will love them. They can't get enought boiled peanuts. Any nut for that matter. Once whole nuts are available in the grocery store, we buy them all season long.

Mulderknitter
12-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Ok, I saw some at the store just yesterday and just looked at them because I didn't know how to cook them. I'm going to get some next time and try roasting them.

If they're anything like a boiled peanut, my family will love them. They can't get enought boiled peanuts. Any nut for that matter. Once whole nuts are available in the grocery store, we buy them all season long.
pm me if you have questions, but it really is simple! pull one out of the oven at about 10 min, if it's still a bit too hard they aren't done. they should be easy to peel out of the shell and pull apart nicely.

Sharly
12-18-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm with Nonny! I've never actually seen any either. They must not be available around here...

But...boiled peanuts? Yumm!! Grew up on those babies - love them!!!

MMario
12-18-2007, 12:36 PM
love chestnuts - but not enough to mess around with roasting them. The ones wqe do wheile caroling are cut and par-boiled for us by a restauraunt - then we do roast them over a grill. VERY popular.

debinoz
12-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I've never had a chestnut, but my uncle kept boiled peanuts around all the time. I think he practically lived off of them...(and beer)

Miss Moosey
12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Yum! Chestnuts! I eat them straight out of the toaster with no salt. They are the best!

We now roast them in the toaster oven as opposed to over an open fire (as suggested by the christmas carol) because a few decades ago my grandfather accidentally set fire to his couch while attempting to roast chestnuts.

Rebecca

Mulderknitter
12-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Yum! Chestnuts! I eat them straight out of the toaster with no salt. They are the best!

We now roast them in the toaster oven as opposed to over an open fire (as suggested by the christmas carol) because a few decades ago my grandfather accidentally set fire to his couch while attempting to roast chestnuts.

Rebecca
I never thought of a toaster oven!:yay:
I am so glad that I have had so many responses, my DH hates them, but they are such a tradition that I have to have them even if I am not home for the holidays

Silver
12-19-2007, 06:55 PM
I bought some today! I'm going to go roast them right now! :)

Mulderknitter
12-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I bought some today! I'm going to go roast them right now! :)
Have fun! let me know how they turn out!

Silver
12-19-2007, 07:39 PM
They're still really hot, but I couldn't wait. They're very yummy! A little dry, but mild like a boiled peanut, with a touch of sweetness. I can't wait for them to cool. lol

vaknitter
12-19-2007, 09:10 PM
AUCK I had to weigh in that I am not a fan of chesnut stuffing...first time I met my now in-laws it was Thanksgiving and my MIL (not the best cook) made chestnut stuffing among other things and I felt bad just pushing things around my plate not eating much. Luckily I had just had my tonsils out so I used that as an excuse

Mulderknitter
12-19-2007, 09:55 PM
They're still really hot, but I couldn't wait. They're very yummy! A little dry, but mild like a boiled peanut, with a touch of sweetness. I can't wait for them to cool. lol
I am so glad you like them! I had to tell my DH that a "published" knitter was interested in my silly chestnut so called recipe and how it almost made me feel famous, he rolled eyes. silly DH.
They do tend to be dry, which is why I recommend the lightly salting. And to speed up the cooling, wet a paper towel in cold water and wrap the nuts in it.

cristeen
12-20-2007, 04:50 PM
I always thought they tasted like warm soft nutty meaty something....:?? I guess it's a mellow taste, but if you aren't expecting it I guess it can taste weird.
Thanks for the tip on freezing them! but at $5.99 a pound I can't afford to do a lot of that!

Oh, no, I buy them frozen. Trader Joes carries them prefrozen at this time of year. And it's much cheaper than buying them in a jar or canned... we don't see much of the fresh kind.

jodstr2
12-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I :heart: them!!! a Japanese store not too close to here (or I'd go more often) sells the fresh roasted ones in the winter. they roast them outside and set up a stand. the smell always draws me in.

a couple Thanksgivings ago, I found bags of unpeeled (but slitted) frozen ones at Trader Joe's. I think I warmed them in the nuker. they tasted really good. I put like 1/3 of them in the stuffing and ate the other 2/3. :rofl:

Jeremy
12-22-2007, 08:23 PM
There are lots of fresh chestnuts in the stores in CT between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have always loved the Christmas song but never gotten around to actually eating one, never mind over an open fire. Several years ago, I took my first trip to Israel and one night we ate at a restaurant situated on a dock on the Kinneret (the Sea of Gallilee) The restaurant's thing was to roast meat at your table but for an appetizer they brought out chestnuts and put them right on the coals of a hibachee at the table. I was put in charge of roasting them. As I sat there I started laughing. It was Christmas eve and I had traveled thousands of miles to Israel of all places to roast my first chestnut over an open fire.:)

SnarfyCat
12-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Okay waitaminutewaitaminuteWAITaminute!
what..... is a boiled peanut???????
:whoosh:

Silver
12-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Okay waitaminutewaitaminuteWAITaminute!
what..... is a boiled peanut???????
:whoosh:
Boiled peanuts (http://images.google.com/images?num=30&hl=en&safe=off&resnum=0&q=boiled+peanuts&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi) are a southern snack food, and wildly popular. Green peanuts (peanuts that are almost, but not quite fully mature) are boiled in a large vat of water which is heavily salted like brine. The peanuts are boiled for several hours until they're soft and tender. To eat them, you crack open the shell, and eat the soft and salty peanut inside. Very yummy.

You can buy canned boiled peanuts all over the south (or online and mail order), but the best are found at roadside stands where someone is selling "Hot Boiled Peanuts" right out of the boiler. Sometimes seasoned with hot or cajun spices, or plain salty. SO GOOD. If you ever take a road trip down south, keep an eye out for roadside stands and make it a point to try them.

You northerners have fresh maple syrup, we have boiled peanuts. It's a fair swap. :teehee:

BinkyKat
12-24-2007, 02:11 PM
You northerners have fresh maple syrup, we have boiled peanuts. It's a fair swap. :teehee:
And we way Northerners have Lefse and Lutefisk (love the first :happydance: , never tried and never will the second :ick: )

SnarfyCat
12-26-2007, 04:42 AM
And we way Northerners have Lefse and Lutefisk (love the first :happydance: , never tried and never will the second :ick: )

*laughs* Ive had both et actually my mom, who is NOT Norwegian, et I, am 1/2 Norwegian, tried our hand at making lefsa this year. Et I have to say that my gma, who is the QUEEN of lefsa making, was looking out the window, eating the first one hot of the grill et didn't realize I was watching her when I asked if it was the WORST lefsa EVER! She started nodding, not knowing I was watching, et then said, oh no, its not THAT bad. Mom et I about DIED we were laughing so hard. I told grandma that I had seen her nodding yes, et she got a majorly guilty expression on her face et started laughing too. So now the goal is to make it for every national holiday until we get it right to carry on the tradition. President's Day, here we come!!
Oh, et in regards to lutefisk--you can eat ANYTHING if there is enough melted butter on it! :rofl:

SnarfyCat
12-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Boiled peanuts (http://images.google.com/images?num=30&hl=en&safe=off&resnum=0&q=boiled+peanuts&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi) are a southern snack food, and wildly popular. Green peanuts (peanuts that are almost, but not quite fully mature) are boiled in a large vat of water which is heavily salted like brine. The peanuts are boiled for several hours until they're soft and tender. To eat them, you crack open the shell, and eat the soft and salty peanut inside. Very yummy.

Will make a point of trying them when I travel south. Thanks Silver!!

Shandeh
12-26-2007, 08:56 AM
My favorite boiled peanuts are the ones I buy in the mountains of North Carolina. I usually stop at one of those roadside shops, where a big native Cherokee is stirring a big pot of them outside. Those taste the BEST.

I've never tried chestnuts though. I probably can't have them on my low carb diet anyway. :pout:

Sharly
12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Ok - now y'all got me wantin' some boiled peanuts, real bad!!

Excellent explanation, Silver - I could almost taste them!!

When my husband was taking classes at our local university, he had a classmate who was a young girl from India. He introduced her to boiled peanuts, and she and her parents fell in love with them! I think they even sent some back home :)