PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia for 40-50 year olds -

Sharly
12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I guess Christmas time just makes me really nostalgic, and as a result, I thought this thread might be fun. I don't mean to exclude anyone by limiting the age range, but for me, Strawberry Shortcake or Care Bears wouldn't be nostalgic, so feel free to start a thread for other age ranges!

Two things I though of recently. I don't know what made me think of this, and it probably actually belonged to my older sister, but does anyone remember the tape you used on your wet bangs to make them dry straight and even? I think it was pink.

Also, Mystery Date! That was the cutest game. I didn't actually have one, but I remember my cousin did. I always wanted that game!!

Anyone else? :)

gingerbread
12-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh gosh I do remember the pink tape. I used it all the time for my bangs. I also used to put tissue paper under my bangs and then the pink tape. This was suppose to give a lift for your bangs.:roflhard::roflhard:
Do you also remember teasing your hair so high you could get a nose bleed.:oo: I had really tall hair back in the days.

debinoz
12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
I never teased my hair, but I remember my mom putting hundred to bobby pins in my hair for pin curls. And I always wanted a pair of white go-go boots. I never got them. And mini-skirts... my Dad was always threatening to sew a "gunny sack" to the bottom of my dresses.

janettle
12-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Pink tape on bangs - yes!
And did you iron your hair?
And did you macrame holders for potted plants?
And were you in girls-only home ec classes while the boys were in boys-only shop class?
Did you wear bell-bottoms?
Do you remember when girls had to wear dresses to school?
Did you get to stay up late to see the Beatles for the first time on Ed Sullivan?
Did you watch the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night?
I could go on... and on... and on...
Fun!

nonny2t
12-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Collecting Beatles' bubble gum cards
Chatty Cathy (who has made a comeback on the Geico commercials)
Thumbelina baby doll
Anyone every have the Camp Grenada board game? It was after the song about Camp Grenada came out..."Hello mudah, hello fadah, here I am at Camp Grenada..."
Captain Kangaroo/Mr. Green Jeans/Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit
If you are from Chicago- Garfield Goose, Frasier Thomas with Family Classics and the original Bozo show

Soft drinks in glass bottles
ice cream and soft drinks for a nickel
actual penny candy and bubble gum
pogo sticks, jacks and jumping rope outside
shag haircuts, go go boots, and bellbottoms
having to wear dresses or skirts to school
babysitting for 50 cents an hour and thinking your were making a mint

salos
12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
And were you in girls-only home ec classes while the boys were in boys-only shop class?
Did you get to stay up late to see the Beatles for the first time on Ed Sullivan?
Fun!

I did ALL of these except the pink tape for bangs. I also babysat for 50 cents per hour. I saved the money and my first (really crummy) husband took the money from me.

Also, Best Part, I learned to knit and crochet.

We were taught to respect our elders and be honest. At least in my family we were taught how to not get into credit card debt.

In our town everyone went to church on Sunday morning. Not that we acted like Christians the rest of the week.

I was really into pogo sticks and hoola hoops. I did baton twirling and lots of bike riding. We played in the woods all the time.

Thanksgiving was a real feast, the whole table filled with wonderful food. We used linens, and we were all dressed up fancy too. How did they do it?

Luvmyrottnboy
12-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Omigosh YES! The pink tape! And Dippity-Do!

Sleeping in rollers with the pink taped tissue paper under my bangs.

Go-go boots! Yes! How about "The total look" where your top matched your hose? Argyle top, argyle tights! And fishnets! Beige fishnets.

"Peppermint Kiss" flavored lipstick and cover girl medicated make up:teehee:

Black liquid eyeliner and white lipstick.

Beatle haircuts and John lennon caps. Anything Mary Quant! Twiggy eyelashes drawn in under your own.

Canoe cologne: mens' but the fad made it for girls. Later on "Charlie" was THE hip cologne.

Garter belts. Ugh!

This is fun! More,more!

figaro
12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
I just turned 40 (http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_112.gif) but I grew up watching The Wonderful World of Disney. I wish they would bring them back, right now would be perfect with the writers strike!

msoebel
12-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm not quite 30, but it's fun to hear about this stuff! :cool:

Sharly
12-19-2007, 11:36 AM
More things:

Wild Kingdom (also on sunday nights, I think)
And, Love's Baby Soft perfume! Did they make the strawberry scent? I remember it smelled so wonderful, I tasted it once (yeah, I was a weird kid) - it DID NOT TASTE like strawberrys!!:)
Marcia Brady hair - never had it, really wanted it!!!
And, Bonne Bell Lip Smackers - do they still make that?
This is fun - makes me smile!!

figaro
12-19-2007, 11:53 AM
I also LOVED watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom!

gingerbread
12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Fun!
All of the above how funny it is to remember what we did back in the day.
I also used the black liquid eye liner and blue eye shawdow:roflhard:. The best was dragging my dad to the beatles movie "A hard days night." I never forgot that night I had a great Dad.

debinoz
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I had forgotten about making my mother sew the triangles of fabric into my bellbottoms to make them bigger! Leather wristbands, mood rings, huge sunglasses and BANDANAS!!

Sharly
12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Deb, the triangles in bellbottoms made me think of the embroidered chambray shirts! This is a crafty crowd, I bet there were more than a few of us who did those!

janettle
12-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Oh yes, how did I ever forget Dippity-Do and Bonne Bell?!

And how straight hair was SO important that curly hair seemed like a curse? Let me see if I can describe this "hair care" treatment my friends and I would use to get straight hair: We would lean over, brush all our hair down, put it into ponytails on top of our heads, wrap the ponytails around huge cleaned-out Hawaiian Punch cans, then cut the rubber bands and sleep with this contraption on our heads! It worked. I must have used this treatment nightly for a year!

And Twiggy, the first really skinny model. And do you remember Cybill Shepherd before Moonlighting, when she was a supermodel in Seventeen magazine?

ladyjessica
12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm 28 so I don't remember all of these things, but my mom does talk about Mystery Date occasinally and how she always wanted a Chatty Cathy (because her name is Kathy). One of Hallmark's Christmas ornaments this year is a talking Chatty Cathy, so I had to buy that for her. It's so cute.

I DO, however, remember having Love's Baby Soft perfume. I got it in my Christmas stocking every year when I was younger.

(I also remember Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake, :aww: , for those people in my age bracket. Also, Teddy Ruxpin, Cricket the talking doll, Cabbage Patch Kids, slap bracelets, Electric Youth perfume, My Child baby dolls, watching the Smurfs and the Get-Along Gang every Saturday morning. I also remember watching Bozo on the Chicago tv channel. Inho, today's Strawberry Shortcake just isn't as cool as ours was. :teehee: )

nonny2t
12-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Let's see, Heaven Scent cologne (which you can still buy. I saw it last week in Walgreens)
I lived with my grandparents the last two years of high school and I would shorten my skirts and while I was at school, my grandfather would make my grandmother take the hem out! lol This went back and forth for two years.
How about Tiger Beat magazine! Everybody who was anybody read Tiger Beat.
TPing yards on Halloween (now you would get arrested for that!)
Your girlfriend piercing your ears using ice, an apple and a sewing needle, I remember my sister and I bought these circular earrings that were pointed that did it automatically. They were supposed to be painless though they took forever. You just tightened them after so many days, etc. I remember I got impatient and jammed mine through my ears! lol
Movies:
The movie "Romeo and Juliet" where you got to see Len Whitings behind. How racy was that!
"To Sir with Love"
"Love Story"
The first Herbie movie
The original "Poseidon Adventure"
Do you remember dickies?

Sharly
12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Dickies! :lol: I love it in Christmas Vacation when Randy Quaid has on a black dickie with a thin white sweater!! Too funny!!

Heaven Scent Perfume and self-piercing earrings! Haven't thought about those for a while!! My ears were done by my sister with the needle and ice cube method! The first one went fine, but she had to chase me down to do the second one!! Yeeeow!

fibrenut
12-19-2007, 06:26 PM
K I might be a little odd but I remember some things that weren't already mentioned... Star Trek with Capt. Kirk and Spock and can't forget Scotty. How about "Hogan's Heroes" or "Green Acres" and can't forget "electric co." on the local pbs or "Sesame Street" before it got political. Or how about "He-man and She-ra" on Saturday morning cartoons. Tom & Jerry?? "Lost in Space". "Billy Jack" movies? Hair bands? Jimi Hendrix? Charlie Pride? Redd Foxx?...........O man I could go on n on n on......!!
Also did your prom look like a reenactment of "Little House on the Prairie"? from all the "Gunne Saxe" dresses all the "it" girls wore?:zombie: :roflhard: . O here's one that relates to our knitting passions... McCall's Needlework and Crafts. (the BIG ones)

yarnrainbow
12-19-2007, 07:01 PM
OMG, this is hysterical...I'd thought I'd forgotten about this stuff! What fun!

How about Johnny Quest on Saturday mornings? Maxi skirts? Big pink foam curlers?
Having your parents holler at you to turn the channel on the TV because there were no remotes?
Only 5 channels on the TV (4, 5, 9, 41, and 62) and they all shut off at midnight? :passedout:
Sealing wax and seals for letters (my older sister and all her friends had these)?
Erector sets?
Midnight Special?
The song Seasons in the Sun by Terry somebody?
Denny Terio and Dance Fever?
Solid Gold Dancers?
Clackers?

lelvsdgs
12-19-2007, 07:24 PM
More things:

Wild Kingdom (also on sunday nights, I think)
And, Love's Baby Soft perfume! Did they make the strawberry scent? I remember it smelled so wonderful, I tasted it once (yeah, I was a weird kid) - it DID NOT TASTE like strawberrys!!:)
Marcia Brady hair - never had it, really wanted it!!!
And, Bonne Bell Lip Smackers - do they still make that?
This is fun - makes me smile!!

I remember all these things!!! Isn't it funny how Jim did all the work and Marlon got all the credit!
Remember when Barbie could finally bend her legs?
And Ditto pants!

knitncook
12-19-2007, 07:41 PM
OK, everybody sing, "It's the New Zoo Review, coming right at you!" Does anyone else remember that? And "I see Marcia, and Jimmy and Darlene, and I see YOU!" I loved Romper Room and actually had a friend who was on it one time! And then don't forget Captain Kangaroo and of course as we got older there was Gilligan's Island (the original run) and we all thought that Gilligan was oh so cute! Then we got even older and would have loved to have locked lips with the Fonz!

I remember pink tape, but I used it to make little pin curls at my cheeks. My grandmother used to roll my hair in rags instead of curlers. I'll still do that sometimes because they are much more comfortable to sleep in.
Oh and how about thermoses with real glass liners? I had a Walton's lunchbox that I carried all the way through school (even high school when lunchboxes and (especially the Walton's) weren't cool anymore!)
How about mourning when the Beatles broke up? I thought my world had ended!! And Peter Paul and Mary. And Simon and Garfunkle! Oh and when Janis Joplin died and Jim Croce.

Movies that were 4 hours long, had good plots and intermissions?

The introduction of cable tv. Man, that was cool!! We went from 4 channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS) to 30 channels of nothing to watch. But there wasn't any snow so it was interesting. Which reminds me of rabbit ears with aluminium foil on the ends!

Candy stores where the candy wasn't prewrapped and toy stores where the owners really did love children and toys and had unique and well-built toys made in the United States not mass marketed overseas in China.

Becky Morgan
12-19-2007, 08:23 PM
And about 1975, elephant leg jeans! Remeber the ones that were supposed to drag on the ground? I was long-legged, so the only way I could get mine to drag was to let the hems all the way down and add tape on the bottoms. Fortunately, that wasn't uncool (like most of my stuff...:teehee:)
I'm 49, so some of you won't remember...
John and Jane West action figures
Silver aluminum Christmas trees with four-color rotating spotlights since you couldn't put lights on the tree (my aunt had the only one in our neighborhood)
Great big C9 painted bulbs that got so hot you could probably make coffee on them:p
Outdoor lights that were really a string of lights, not miles of displays
Christmas starting after Thanksgiving, because we actually had Thanksgiving programs in school
When Aunt KLydia's rug yarn was thick soft cotton
Bonanza, Gunsmoke and the other Westerns on TV
The Beverly Hillbillies
Hee-Haw, and, if you're in a country music friendly area, Loretta Lynn when she was a young mother!
Klein's Lunch Bars. They were mostly wax, but they were three cents apiece or two for a nickel!
Ice Cubes. They still sell the regular AND the hazelnut ones.
The end of home milk and bread delivery (:pout:...with gas this high, wouldn't it be nice to have that again to save grocery store runs?)
Toni Home Permanents. When you had kinky hair like mine (still is, and it looks like a really long Brillo pad tonight), people always said to use the first part and not the second to straighten your hair. It didn't work. Neither did the pressing oil. Neither did ironing it if you had more than faint curls!)
Girl Scouts when we wore dresses, had badge sashes and berets, wore neckties and carried pocket knives...

debinoz
12-19-2007, 10:37 PM
We had one of those aluminum Christmas trees! I loved that thing. It finally disappeared... probably fell apart. I saw some for sale somewhere recently.
I had a Peanuts lunchbox and my sister had Family Affair. I used to love that show, but she called it first! My brother had Lost In Space.
And remember when there was nothing BUT football on on Sundays? All the main channels had football. Now it's hard to find a good game unless you have an NFL package through the cable company. (Ours doesn't offer one)

Ingrid
12-19-2007, 11:57 PM
:muah::muah:My kindred spirits!!!

I remember all this stuff! :heart: Mention of Gilligan's Island reminded me of Dobie Gillis. Anyone?

And comic books for 10 cents. Then they had the nerve to raise them to 12 cents.

Pizza for 15 cents a slice and a Coke for a dime. Lunch for a quarter.

Waxed paper-wrapped sandwiches for lunch.

Watching the Wonderful World of Color in black-and-white.:teehee:

House calls from the doctor.

Skirts for the girls and dress pants and ties for the boys to go to school. And NO sneakers!!

Gym suits (one-piece with bloomers.)

Mighty Mouse (Here I come to save the day!!!), Arthur Godfrey (my mother used to watch him, so I was forced to), Dennis the Menace, Leave it to Beaver, Ozzie and Harriet, Jack Paar :heart: , and, of course, the American Flag and National Anthem at midnight, when the TVs went black.

nonny2t
12-20-2007, 05:37 AM
I lived in a small town very much like Mayberry and when I was in high school I used to walk home a mile from the school after football or basketball games around 10 at night right along a state highway and never be scared. We didn't lock our homes or our cars. People even left their keys in their cars. Wouldn't that be nice to have back.

County fairs where they still put an emphasis on 4H. I learned how to knit lefthanded from a 4H leader. I made a blue pair of slippers for a first project.

How about dances: The jerk, the frug, the watusi, the pony?

How can we forget the Danny Thomas show or Marlo in That Girl? I always thought she had the coolest outfits and hair. There was also Family Affair and Lassie. Everytime I see one of the Charlie Brown cartoons it takes me back because they were made mostly in the late 60's as was the Flintstone and the Jetsons, both of which I still like to watch on boomerang. Those two cartoons were on network tv at night too. I remember when on Saturday you could get up, get you a bowl of cereal and watch cartoons until noon then switch over to American Bandstand. Loved American Bandstand! (I have a CD of Barry Manilow songs with that song on it and I love to sing along...We're goin' hoppin' (Hop!) We're goin' hoppin' today.
Where things are poppin' (Pop!) the Philadelphia way.
We're gonna drop in (Drop!) on all the music they play.
On the Bandstand (Bandstand!).....

Sharly
12-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Thank you everyone for sharing! I feel like I've been transported back in time! So many of the things mentioned are precious memories to me - I know there are so many more!

I also remember when Matchbox cars were new. I think I had dozens of them! And, yes, I'm a girl who still loves cars!

And, I had the Jane West doll and her horse! I think the horse outlasted Jane and Barbie rode him into his latter years :) There were actually two horses. One with posable legs that mounted on a little thing with a lever and you could make it look like it was running, and another that had stiff legs. I snapped off one of the legs, and my Daddy cut the head off a nail, sharpened both ends, heated it up and put the leg back on. My Daddy was wonderful like that!

salos
12-20-2007, 10:42 AM
TV: Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funicello. The Rifleman, I Love Lucy, The Swamp Fox (my favorite).

Wearing a doily on my head in church.

Learning you could wear gloves without a hat but not a hat without gloves. (Did I get that right?)

Not being allowed to go swimming for one hour after eating.

NC Girl
12-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I am actually supposed to be working right now, but I just had to read this thread. Thanks so much for the trip down memory lane! I'm 47, so I remember a lot of the things mentioned. :mrgreen:

kellyh57
12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm only 31, but I remember some of these...and some from my mom and older friends talking.

One thing I never got was test patterns. They talked about watching the test patterns on TV. I guess it was something they did while the station was idle, but I've never seen it. They get a kick out of talking about it.

Kelly

Sharly
12-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey Kelly - I think they must be joking about watching the test pattern - kind of like watching grass grow :)

Someone earlier posted about the National Anthem being played at the end of the broadcast day - I remember that, and then the test pattern would be shown. I bet if you googled it, you could see what it looked like. It was a static picture, so nothing exciting to watch!!

kellyh57
12-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Oh yeah, I know they were joking. They were just so enthralled with having a TV that they'd watch anything. It was just so funny to hear them go on about watching the test patterns because nothing else was on and they HAD to watch TV.

Kelly

Sharly
12-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Oh, ok! :teehee: That's pretty good!

Lisa1216
12-23-2007, 10:16 AM
What a great thread! I remember alot of the things mentioned. I remember having to get up to change the channel on the TV, our house only having one phone in the kitchen, so everyone could hear your conversation when talking to your friends. My grandmother had a phone on a "party line", so when you picked up the phone to make a call, other people could be using the line and you could hear their conversation.
The Sonny & Cher show on TV, HR Puff and Stuff, always watched Wild Kingdom and Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. Popcorn made on the stovetop.

Sharly
12-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Wow...thanks to everyone for sharing!! Ironically, DH (who knew nothing about this thread) got me some really nostalgic things for Christmas! I got DVDs of the first season of Family Affair and Petticoat Junction, as well as a box of candy from Cracker Barrell of 70's classics!

Mrs. Columbo
12-26-2007, 07:04 PM
I just turned 50 in June.
I did baton from age eight and taught for 8 years until I moved to BC and got married in 2004.
Taught dancing for 4 years during the Saturday Night Fever era .. stayin alive ... loved disco.
Red Skelton was my favorite .. Clem Kadiddlehopper, Gertrude and Heathcliff.
The Ed Sullivan Show ... a really big shoe tonight ... Family Affair, The Partridge Family, The Monkees, I Love Lucy, Marlo Thomas in That Girl had the coolest boyfriend .. DONALD!! We all wanted a Donald ... :teehee: Davy Jones and David Cassidy adorned my walls .. and who could forget Bobby Sherman ... not I.
Hated the 50-60's music and still do ... Beach Boys, Beatles, Brenda Lee, Elvis and everything in between.
Wearing a headcovering in church.
That pink tape for bangs? Didn't it have an edge that looked like it was done with pinking shears? Like that was supposed to be a fashion statement???
Oh the test pattern. We had a black and white Sylvania t.v. with a halo around it.
My dad was a theatre manager ... I went to see all the movies when they first came out .. saw Mary Poppins 20 times, Sound Of Music 36 times, Grease 15 and Saturday Night Fever 30 times ... not counting the number of times I've watched those since I turned 40!!!

chrislt8
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Oh what a great trip down memory lane! How about The Flying Nun? and Jiffy Pop!! (loved watching that silver bubble grow!) I remember the bell bottoms and hip huggers, with peace signs embroidered on them. And The Wonderful World of Disney was the highlight of the week! "Goodnight John-boy" (the Waltons) and Little House on the Prairie. Doctor Zhavago was considered a dirty movie (married man having an affair), "beam me up Scottty", and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea...FLIPPER! The hula-hoop, playing four-square and double-dutch, dodgeball - left the house in the morning and just played in the neighborhood showing up at someone's house for lunch and being home for dinner (sit down, with Mom, Dad and all the kids EVERY NIGHT). Building tree houses and sledding down the neighbors backyard hill... Ohhhh, I feel transported! :-)

redmom37
12-27-2007, 01:53 AM
ME TOO ! how about pop bottle dolls?, & candy , the seven up bar & the zero bar. and rick rack sewn on every thing!.

Sharly
12-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Oh my goodness! I just googled and they still make the "hair tape"! It looks just like I remember!

And, I have another one! Or, maybe we were just weird at my school....platform sandals and toe socks! Now that was a fashion statement!

fibrenut
12-27-2007, 01:07 PM
yep, sharley
I remember those. All the IT girls had em (can you tell I was NOT an IT girl?)
How about friendship bracelets, decopauge, eco, women's equality issues (equal pay for equal work) bra burning, macrame, anything crocheted, levi's 501's (had to be button fly or you weren't cool). Disco, Studio 54, Disco Duck....:zombie: The Ramones (I wanna be sedated...) Meatloaf (the singer), Delta Dawn... "Breaker, breaker, 19, anybody gotcher ears on?" Lily Tomlin as the operator for the phone co. Saturday Night Live before it became SNL. Watching the Wizard of Oz every year round Thanksgiving. Watching all the classic christmas cartoons every year round Christmas time (Rudolph, Frosty, etc.) Reality TV was actually the 5 o'clock news.
Watergate, Kent State, The end of the Vietnam war,......
Avocado green appliances, mustard yellow carpet, dark fake wood paneling, shag carpet, op art, jackson pollack, salvador dali, the excavation of pompeii and herculaneum...(read a lot of national geographics). pong, pacman, ( I grew up in the late 70's early 80's) asteroids....computers with cassette tapes for memory, monitors came in color, green or yellow... There wasn't any "windows" but ya had to know basic and dos. The internet was a "bulletin board"

janettle
12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
- pronouncing Cool as a long Kooool, instead of a short and chopped-off Kewl
- hating to hear anyone say Groovy (did anyone really say that with a straight face?)
- funky flowers
- incense
- 8-track tapes
- black lights, neon posters and lava lamps
- dripping candle wax and crayons to decorate old wine bottles
- collecting little colored bottles and wicker baskets
- spider plants
- when class rings came in 2 styles: (1) boys, and (2) girls (aka boys miniature)

and a little earlier:
- Nifty Notebooks
- knee socks, loafers, and pleated skirts
- little gold circle pins on button-down-the-back tiny-pleated blouses

brightspot
12-31-2007, 03:57 AM
Remember when Barbie could finally bend her legs?
And Ditto pants!
I love this thread!!! I haven't thought about these things in decades, lol. I remember my first barbie with beny legs. I had 2 barbies. The one with bendy legs was a chitty-chitty bang bang barbie and I wasn't allowed to play with her and I really wanted to because her legs bent so she sat nicely in the barbie plane.

cheley
12-31-2007, 12:16 PM
:heart: Chatty Kathy dolls, Knitted vests, ironing hair, (sneakin Pall Mall cigs from my mom) FANTASTIC MUSIC CONCERTS...REAL CHEAP!!!!!!! (Led Zep, Stones, Pink Floyd) CKLW am radio station out of Detroit (I live near Cleveland) tie dyed shirts. the real ones.... ahhh the list goes on and on.....:muah: Remember Peter Max Posters and platform shoes? Cheley

Sharly
12-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Yesterday I thought about the "Love is..." cartoons - remember those?? :)

bjc1050
12-31-2007, 09:04 PM
How about

sock hops

The Milt Grant Show or The Buddy Deane show or American Bandstand

pea shooters for Halloween - a large straw and a bag of dried navy beans to zing other trick or treaters with.

also at Halloween - soaping windows

Yes, I remember leaving the car unlocked and keys in the ignition. Didn't lock the door to the house when we were gone, either.

bjc1050
12-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Movie tickets for children under 12 were only $.25 or $.50 if it was a special movie like The Ten Commandments.

You could go to a movie on Saturday afternoon and stay til closing time and watch the movie over and overfor that $.25 ticket.

I remember the 10 cent comic books or a quarter for the really thick ones. I used to sell them used for a nickel each or 6 for a quarter.

Shandeh
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Captain Kangaroo, Lost in Space, the Patty Duke Show, I Love Lucy, The Flying Nun, Match Game, the $10,000 Pyramid, Charlie Brown "Peanuts" Gang.

Easy Curl hot rollers. I used to love that commercial of the girl curling her hair quickly, because a boy was at the door.

Kool-Pops, Pizza Spins, Marathon candy bars.

The Jackson 5, The Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Jim Croce, John Denver, The Mamas and The Papas, Elvis.

Paper Dolls, Clackers, Jacks, Paddle-Ball, Barbies. I always wanted a race track, but my mother said that was a BOYS game. :pout:

Playing outside until it was too dark to see anything. Softball, 500, Roll-a-Bat, Red Rover. Making flower chains and looking for 4 leaf clovers. Making chains from chewing gum wrappers.

Learning to sew. Putting embroidery transfers on every piece of clothing we wore, then begging mom for EVERY color of embroidery thread.

Boating at the lake, fishing, being teased by my sister and step-brother.

4-H, basketball, softball, cheerleading. Fillings at the dentist office, braces, acne, puberty. Some memories are worse than others. :teehee:

Shandeh
01-05-2008, 02:10 PM
One thing I never got was test patterns. They talked about watching the test patterns on TV. I guess it was something they did while the station was idle, but I've never seen it. They get a kick out of talking about it.
You were considered "cool" if you stayed up late enough to see the test pattern. :wink:

I remember seeing the test pattern on the tv whenever the TV Repairman came to the house. I was completely fascinated to watch him work. He would use this weird circular magnet and walk forward and back in front of the television, making weird circles of color on the screen. It was like watching a MAGIC show! :inlove:

knit2btied
01-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Seeing color TV for the first time and finding out that Lucy Ball had RED hair? Or Seeing Bonanza on TV with all the beautiful trees and greenery?

How about Tie-dying tee-shirts?

Shandeh
01-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Mention of Gilligan's Island reminded me of Dobie Gillis. Anyone?
I LOVED Dobie Gillis. :heart:

SusanAnn
01-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I guess some of my memories are different because I live in the UK, but I'm 46 and I remember:

My parents putting up dark fake wood panelling in their bedroom
My bedroom having giant turquoise and pink paisley swirled wallpaper
My mother being overjoyed by nylon drip dry shirts that you didn't have to iron, and the horror of nylon sheets ( we all used to crackle!)
I love Lucy, Champion The Wonder Horse, High Chapperal ( sppp?) and The Virginian ( hmmmm watched an awful lot of Westerns considering I'm English:mrgreen: )
In the sixties not being able to buy a long skirt in the shops, even my mother and grandma were wearing knee length and it all looked normal to us
Footballers in incredibly short shorts!

Then into the seventies and persuading my mother to let me have flared jeans, with multiple embrodieries on....mine had mushrooms and rainbows...still remember them fondly
Cheesecloth ....I loved it, had a cheesecloth shirt, cheesecloth skirt and a long cheesecloth dress
The whole Holly Hobby thing, all us little girls dressed like something out of Little House in the Prairie one Christmas:mrgreen:
Spacehoppers
Chopper bicycles ( we were never allowed one)
Clackers
And most of all being able to go out and roam the streets all day without anyone worrying about us!

Sharly
01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
:note: "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony..." - Remember that old Coke commercial :)

Shandeh
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
How about the coke bottle vending machines, where you got a small glass bottle for a quarter?

Also, I remember stopping at old gas stations during family trips when I was a little girl. I would reach down into a big metal ice chest outside the store, and grab a brown bottle of Orange Crush, or a green bottle of Sun Drop. It was SO COLD reaching down into the icy water for the bottle!

bjc1050
01-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I remember that. Grapette was my favorite. For some strange reason, I used to collect soda bottle caps when I was about 4 or 5. Strange thing to collect, LOL.

bjc1050
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
How about the coke bottle vending machines, where you got a small glass bottle for a quarter?

Also, I remember stopping at old gas stations during family trips when I was a little girl. I would reach down into a big metal ice chest outside the store, and grab a brown bottle of Orange Crush, or a green bottle of Sun Drop. It was SO COLD reaching down into the icy water for the bottle!

I remember that. Grapette was my favorite. For some strange reason, I used to collect soda bottle caps when I was about 4 or 5. Strange thing to collect, LOL.

bjc1050
01-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I remember in high school some of my classmates were summoned to the principal's office to determine if their hemlines were too short. They had to stand on their knees. If the hemline didn't reach the floor, they were told to wear longer skirts.

Sharly
01-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Remember when all your toughest decisions were made with the help of Magic Eight Ball? :lol: