PDA

View Full Version : throwing or continental

shifio
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
the joints on my right hand are sore i suspect a touch of arthiritis, and as it is very cold outside this makes it worse, i have always used the throwing method of knitting did not know there was any other way until i put knitting into the search box of you tube, so i am going to try continental tonight, anyone know of any other ways that could help

ekgheiy
12-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Prop your needles against something (leg, pillow ... etc). I've been dealing with a finger injury and I find that propping sometimes helps in that I can loosen up my hold on my needles.

Good luck!

clarkeee
12-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I feel your pain--literally. I will say that I had much more pain before switching to continental. Also, I've noticed it's helpful if I take frequent breaks. Even though I get really excited about a pattern and just want to keep going, I have to make a point of getting up after 30 minutes and walking away. I can always come back, but my muscles and tendons need a break.

dturner
12-18-2007, 10:13 PM
I had an injury to my right hand about ten years ago . I am trying to teach myself continental style, but I'm still not as fast with continental style. I switch between continental and English now and then to give my right hand a break. That seems to help. I hope that if I continue to practice I'll be just as fast with continental as with English!

shifio
12-19-2007, 04:38 AM
i tried it last night i felt very awkward but im sure given time i can master it, us women adapt very well

gal51
12-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Prop your needles against something (leg, pillow ... etc).

That's why I use 14" needles. And I learned how to knit doing a combination of continental and throwing - I throw with my left hand. I hold the yarn continental style, but I don't hold it with my index finger. I wrap it once around my left hand and then my middle finger holds the yarn and "throws" it around the needle. I don't even know if that makes sense, but it's the most comfortable for me and I can knit and purl fast this way. I would try different ways of holding the yarn and use whatever works best for you ... HTH!

Ronda
12-19-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm a "thrower" but I've been trying to learn the Continental method. The knit stitch seems easy enough, but I just can't seem to get that finger to push the yarn down when I'm purling. If I sort of twist my wrists down, I can pick up the yarn that way, but I'm not sure I will ever be able to push the yarn down with my index finger. It frustrates me.

lia_matos
12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
That's why I use 14" needles. And I learned how to knit doing a combination of continental and throwing - I throw with my left hand. I hold the yarn continental style, but I don't hold it with my index finger. I wrap it once around my left hand and then my middle finger holds the yarn and "throws" it around the needle. I don't even know if that makes sense, but it's the most comfortable for me and I can knit and purl fast this way. I would try different ways of holding the yarn and use whatever works best for you ... HTH!

I understand you! I knit the same way :)

msoebel
12-19-2007, 12:20 PM
For some reason, my wrists hurt more when I knit continental. I've had other, much more experienced, knitters check my form to make sure I am during it correctly, and they assure me I am...but it causes me more discomfort to knit continental than it does to throw.

So throw I do. I think that's the best thing about knitting...everyone can find a way to do that works best for THEM.

Rhea
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Continental does help with hand pain because it doesn't take as much movement to create the stitches (once you get the hang of it) I think you will find that it helps.

With me, if I am doing a pattern that is simple or that I know by heart, i knit continental, but when doing complicated lace or cables i go back to throwing. I learned how to knit with the yarn in my right hand so when the going gets tough i get back to my roots.

Jan in CA
12-19-2007, 03:27 PM
For some reason, my wrists hurt more when I knit continental.

Same here. I have watched myself knit to see how much movement english knitting makes and it's not much. My wrists stay pretty stable. When I wrap/throw the yarn my left hand slides down slightly my right hand goes up slightly to wrap.

There are so many ways to hold the yarn. Some ways require more movement than others so experiment with that when you decide on a method.

Wanda Witch
12-19-2007, 04:56 PM
For the past two or three days I have been 'trying' to get the hang of continental knitting. I hate to give up, but it seems so awkward after using the English method. I feel it would be of help to my rather sore wrists if I don't have a nervous breakdown in the process. It is a relief knowing others are trying to master this method also. I don't give up easily but so far holding the yarn in my left hand is not easy. I have watched the video on this site and others too, I understand the concept but can't seem to get a 'grasp' on the yarn in the other hand. Good luck to the others.

MaleKnitter
12-19-2007, 08:52 PM
I knit continental. I am just very used to holding the yarn in my left hand. I know how to tat, knit, and crochet, and for all three I hold the yarn in my left hand so it just seems right.
If your wrists are hurting then I would suggest that you start using Circular Needles. I only use Circular needles and when I try switching back to the regular 14" needles I am amazed at how much strength I need to hold the work on the needles up. Circular needles evenly distribute the weight and when you work gets really long you can simply rest it in your lap. Also, the fact that the cable is thinner than the actual needles, the circular needles will hold your stitches on the needle better when you set your work down (there is a higher risk of losing the stitches on a straight needle that have an even thickness).
Plus, Circular needles are the most versatile needles ever. You can make anything on a circular needle (small flat projects, LARGE flat projects, large diameter tubes and even small diameter tubes like socks if you use the magic loop method). There is also one more little advantage to using circular needles... since everything is connected you never lose your needle (with two needles, I ALWAYS lose one when I set it down)

I am pretty sure that would help

newamy
12-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Holy Guacamole! Just today I was knitting a continental swatch, watching Amy's video and others on youtube. I wanted to try it so I could do better at knitting from both hands for color work, and because I do have some carpal tunnel in the right hand. And if I could get comfortable with it I hope it would help me knit faster.

Anyway my gauge and tension is all over the place, of course I kept readjusting the way I was holding the yarn so that didn't help. It is looser than English for me. I feel like I've got the knit stitch down pretty good but not well enough to knit anything nice. I struggled with the purl, I kept twisting it, I finally got it but that is still hard. I will say I'm picking it up way faster than I did when I first learn to knit almost 2 years ago. And even though I'm slow I think I'm getting across a row pretty efficiently. It's a challenge.

cheesiesmom
12-19-2007, 11:24 PM
I taught myself continental (I was no kid) with the help of amy's vids. It took some practice and patience and stick-to-it-ism, but I've become pretty adept over the last several years. I have a disease which is destroying my muscle strength but I can still knit and I think it's because the continental style is less effort than English (for me anyway). Thank goodness I can still knit!! I gotta use up this stash before the hands get any weaker (which hopefully won't be for a long while).

G J
12-19-2007, 11:33 PM
I have hand and arm pain, too, so I can relate! I've tried so many times to learn Continental, but can't knit for long b/c of pain, so I end up forgetting by the time I get back to it.

THe most helpeful thing for me has been going to an occupational therapist who is a certified hand therapist. You need a referral from a doctor. The CHT actually watches me knit and helps me adjust, making splints as needed to keep me in the least harmful positions.