PDA

View Full Version : I had to quit teaching :(

Silver
12-18-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm so sad! I had to quit my job as knitting teacher at Joanns. Here's the story (copied from my blog.)
:verysad:

I started teaching in June. It’s been over six months.

They STILL have not gotten my paychecks straightened out. I waited over 3 months before I even got my first check, which should have taken only 2 weeks. There were several clerical errors that caused the problems, one of which was that they had my address wrong. After weeks, and weeks and weeks of calling, I finally got one check. But it was only for one out of the 3 months I was owed at the time.

However, I loved teaching, so I continued teaching. And waiting. Another 2 months go by and I finally get a larger check, which covered 2 more months. It even had my address correct. And I was told I would be seeing another check within a week, and my checks should be coming regularly after that. I was thrilled that all the waiting was over.

That was over a month ago and I still haven’t seen another check. And my patience has run out. I spoke to the education coordinator yesterday and told her that I didn’t want to come back. This whole thing has soured me and I have lost the joy I first had. I just can not continue working for a company that can’t correct a tiny little thing as the address on my checks. It’s mostly the corporate offices fault (or whoever is doing payroll processing), but I’m a little miffed at my local store too.

Everyone there knew I have yet to have a paycheck come without some attached waiting and drama. Yet I continued to be cheerful and kind and come to all of my classes. For six months. I was also the only teacher who would come in for just one student when all the others will cancel if they don’t have at least 3 students. Yet I was never offered any sort of condolence. No gift card, no extra coupons, nothing. Just the expectation that I would be there for my next class, despite the money owed to me.

So, regretfully, I quit. I really, really did NOT want to quit, but I can not go teach another class only to wait months before I get paid. And I’m very sad about it. http://www.cometosilver.com/write/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

And I’m still waiting for 3 months of paychecks…

But I will continue to teach private lessons. And make knitting pouches. So that’s good.

kristinw
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
wow, that really stinks! :pout: I can't believe a large company like that couldn't get their act together.

dustinac
12-18-2007, 06:00 PM
:hug: I'm sorry to read about you having to quit, but I think you did the right thing... That is crazy that it's taking them so long to fix that...:hug:

stitchwitch
12-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Well that ain't right. I can't blame you for quitting, I was mad just reading it, I would be really skeeved if I had lived it. Their loss, not yours.
On another side, I worked for a doctor who would conveniently forget to pay his staff when payday rolled around. He'd haul butt out the back door while we all were cleaning up and leave us high and dry. I ended up walking out on him for that very reason so I know what you're going through. :hug:

loveswildflowers
12-18-2007, 06:06 PM
:sad: That is very sad. It is such their loss - I don't blame you - it would seem they condone that type of treatment to let it drag on that long!
In my book - you are priceless! I can't explain how much I've enjoyed knitting socks since your online class. How very disheartening for you. I know it's cliched - but often when one door closes, another opens. In the meantime, I hope Joann's least gets their act together and pay you what they owe you!

GinnyG
12-18-2007, 06:08 PM
My local Joanns lost teachers because of pay problems. It sounds like something they"do" :-(. So sorry but I bet private lessons are more profitable, AND you can set your own schedule. I wish I were close enough to take lessons from you!!!

alleusion
12-18-2007, 06:12 PM
That's sad that they soured something you took great pleasure in. I hope they get it straightened out and you at least get the money owed to you.

Silver
12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone. Interesting that this happens at other Joanns too. I know I was good teacher, I even had some crochet students call and ask if I could teach them too! (The crochet teacher is a flake.) One of the store managers was soooo excited when I started sock classes, and she was planning to come to my January sock class. Well, not anymore. I'll still shop there, but I just can't teach there anymore. Seems like the whole thing is run by the seat of their pants, so to speak, you know?

And yeah, private lessons are much better. Only I don't get as much advertising.

Lisa_H-Town
12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
So sorry to hear that... I just hope they do what's right, and it doesn't have to come to any legal recourse...

It's like... "Hey, can I come get some "stuff" from your store, and I'll just pay you when I get around to it!" hmph! Doubt it!

lelvsdgs
12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, another reason to be mad at JoAnn's. I worked there for 4 years and this is typical of the stuff they pull. We didn't have any classes but there seemed to always be at least one person whose paychecks were messed up. I had hoped they had cleaned up their act but it looks like not much has changed. I know at my local store, those folks are horribly overworked and underpaid and never get any perks.

You are better off teaching privately. With the students you have undoubtedly picked up from JoAnn's no telling when the word will spread and another place will offer you a teaching position. Their loss all the way around.

The.Knitter
12-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Come up here to Canada and I WILL pay for the lessons, AND on time! I'd love to have you teach me your "tricks". I've never had a knitting lesson, but I am sure if I did have one or two I could be a much better knitter than I am.

Their loss not yours Hon. Do like the man did that got kicked by the donkey and consider where it came from... don't take it personally, sounds like they dump on all their employees!

sinistral_needler
12-18-2007, 06:51 PM
If it's worth it, I would go to small claims court to get a settlement. That is really rotten!!

My guess is that the corporation as a whole has cash flow issues and are playing the game of blaming 'clerical errors' on why your paychecks don't get sent in a timely manner. But that is ONLY a guess!!

Mariblue
12-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, that just sucks. Sorry you had to go through that. :hug:

boo1
12-18-2007, 07:03 PM
I sure don't blame you for walking, though; they should pay you extra for staying as long as you did! What a great teacher they lost!

:grphug:

Jan in CA
12-18-2007, 07:05 PM
:noway: That is unbelievable! I can't understand how they can run a business like that! Sheesh! You did the right thing!:hug:

knitncook
12-18-2007, 07:20 PM
:hug: Thank you for taking the time and effort to reach out to the students you did teach. I've tried taking several classes at Joann for other crafts (heck, I could teach knitting but after your experience not sure if I want to venture down that path!) and had all but one cancelled because of too few students. The one class that did make ended up being just me, but the teacher came anyway. Hopefully something more reliable will come your way. You are such a boon to knitters everywhere!

mks22300
12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
How rotten of them! Well, it's their loss, isn't it?

marykz
12-18-2007, 09:07 PM
don't they know you are the famous and "sassy" Silver?!!!

hmpf. you did the right thing.

fibrenut
12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Silver hun, They do that to their wilton teachers also. So it's not just a knitting class thing it's a "screw all the private contractors" thing. So maybe you could check to see if Hobby Lobby or Michaels in your area would be happy to have you. (o heck, I know they would).
Also, beings you are no longer contracted to work exclusively at joann's anymore, you could print up posters and paste em all over the place. The grocer's bulletin board, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, heck you could even post em at the fabrics n crafts dept. at Wallyworld (that is if yours still has a fabric n crafts dept.) So all is not lost. You could even post flyers at the local barrista's and maybe even start a class in your favorite coffee house or bakery.
Just a couple ideas floating through this fizzled brain of mine.
Hope they help a little bit!! We gotcher back!!:thumbsup: :hug:

Lady Violet
12-18-2007, 09:40 PM
i am so sorry that this happened to you, kristen. :hug:
i worked at my "local" jo-ann for two and a half years and i thought the problems were just in our area. apparently, it's all over. literally. i can't believe the company is still going. it's amazing what people will put up with. :shrug:

kaytee
12-18-2007, 11:12 PM
well, Crap! I just applied at my local JoAnn's store since Im unemployed at the moment and need work. So I probably won't be going back there now. I'm so sorry Silver that this has happened to you. I hope you get your pay!! You totally don't deserve this!

mhansen
12-19-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm sorry that you had to quit. You would think that a company that big would have their stuff together.

Shandeh
12-19-2007, 08:12 AM
:heart: :pout: :heart:

figaro
12-19-2007, 08:49 AM
That is rotten of Joannes to do you! How about checking with the local Adult Education department? Back when I was looking for some way to learn how to knit, Micheals, Joannes and the rest of them had nothing so I checked with the Adult Ed in my area and there was a class! The teacher was great, a knitter for 40 plus years from Scotland and after the class was over, we kept it going at the Starbucks around the corner! And she was still paid for it as it was a teaching group.

If you are still interested in teaching it (and it sounds like you LIKED it!), check with Adult Ed in your community and see if there is a opening for that, let them know that you always had interest in this at the craft store. Who knows....?

Slim
12-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Oh, Silver, I'm so sorry! You're such a gifted teacher, and you obviously take great pleasure in interacting with your students and sharing your knowledge. I'll bet it hurts to feel so unappreciated that they couldn't even bother to pay you. I hope you are able to collect what they owe you, and that you'll continue to teach through other outlets. We love you, Silver!

Silver
12-19-2007, 09:10 AM
If it's worth it, I would go to small claims court to get a settlement. That is really rotten!!

My guess is that the corporation as a whole has cash flow issues and are playing the game of blaming 'clerical errors' on why your paychecks don't get sent in a timely manner. But that is ONLY a guess!!
The first check I got did have my address wrong on it, so I do believe the "clerical error" excuse. What I don't believe is that it's taking 6+ months to change a "9" to a "0". :doh:

The Ed Coordinator at my store is supposedly making weekly calls to get this cleared up for me. And I can be a squeeky wheel if I have to. I'll keep bugging her to make sure she's bugging them.

Thanks again everyone. :heart:

dakatzmeow
12-19-2007, 09:21 AM
i'd squeek long and loud until they got your last penny to you.

another reason to dislike joann: they had a big section of yarn on sale. except the yarn in the MIDDLE of the display wasn't included in the sale price. uh. excuse me? i call that bait and switch.

KnittingNat
12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry you have to deal with that :hug: I know I couldn't keep working without getting paid for it. Keep bugging them until you get everything you deserve! And maybe start some active advertisement for knitting classes:thumbsup:

Silver
12-19-2007, 09:37 AM
another reason to dislike joann: they had a big section of yarn on sale. except the yarn in the MIDDLE of the display wasn't included in the sale price. uh. excuse me? i call that bait and switch.

Yeah, they do that with the Paton's all the time, only the SWS is almost never on sale. :(

I still like Joanns for the fabrics though. :)

JamOKnit
12-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Some good ideas up there. I am so sorry to hear about your trouble! How frustrating.
Just to let you know, I took a private lesson from a woman near me, I was the only student and we spent a few hours in two sittings in her living room and I came out with my first sweater! It was fantastic, and I would have paid double what she charged me. So private lessons are a great way to go. I found her on Craig's List, maybe you could advertise there as well!
Best of luck to ya, and we'll be sure to keep fueling your knitting pouch business, as I've been talking them up to all my friends! :)

Debkcs
12-19-2007, 11:46 AM
I often wonder why some employers expect you to work for free and not complain. There is a WELL known cookbook author/cooking instructor/school owner that I worked for who paid me about one tenth of what I had been promised, and then, the checks bounced! I quit, and went back to my nursing job full time.

Kristen, I'm so sorry this has happened to you, especially around the holidays. I'm still waiting on my workplace to get my short term disability cleared up. This is not the right time of year for this!

I called a friend who owns a coffee shop a while back wondering if she'd be open to knitting and crochet classes in her store, she jumped on it. Maybe there would be some in your area who would also.

gingerbread
12-19-2007, 12:12 PM
I already wrote on your blog, I still can't believe that they messed up on your checks. Then again I can believe it. My son-in-law worked at a auto parts supply store. A well known one anyway they did the same to him. So like you he quit what is the sense of giving your time and not get paid.
Good for you and keep bugging that woman at JoAnns for your money.

Sharly
12-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Don't they know they can't mess with our "Sock Goddess" like that! You definitely did the right thing, and to echo everyone else here, their loss!

ladyjessica
12-19-2007, 01:26 PM
That's terrible, not only that they would try to stiff you out of what you're owed but also because it caused you to quit doing something that you love. My local Joann's is terrible. They don't offer any classes of any kind anymore, the selection is terrible, and nobody ever seems to know what's going on. I live in a smaller area so we don't even have the luxury of going to Michael's or some other type of craft store. However, we do have a local community college that offers knitting, crochet, and sewing classes each semester as part of a community outreach program. Maybe you could look into something like that to supplement the private lessons. I teach private music lessons and I know that you don't always get the same kind of business you would if you were teaching more publicly. Anyhoo, I hope you get everything straightened out. :hug:

willowangel
12-19-2007, 03:06 PM
I can't believe they'd be dumb enough to let you go!! You're going to be one of the famous book-tour types that they'll beg to come back - fools....

lelvsdgs
12-19-2007, 03:17 PM
That is rotten of Joannes to do you! How about checking with the local Adult Education department? Back when I was looking for some way to learn how to knit, Micheals, Joannes and the rest of them had nothing so I checked with the Adult Ed in my area and there was a class! The teacher was great, a knitter for 40 plus years from Scotland and after the class was over, we kept it going at the Starbucks around the corner! And she was still paid for it as it was a teaching group.

If you are still interested in teaching it (and it sounds like you LIKED it!), check with Adult Ed in your community and see if there is a opening for that, let them know that you always had interest in this at the craft store. Who knows....?
This is a great idea. I work for the Adult Ed in my town and they are always looking for good reliable teachers to teach just these kinds of classes. And they do the advertising, provide the space and take care of the registration as well. If you really do want to teach, this is a good option.

Plantgoddess+
12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I have also taught through our Continuing Education classes in my state. I taught Tai Chi for several years. They offer a wide variety of classes depending on teacher availability and student demand. It's a shame that so many corporations are so short-sighted about customer service. Joannes is going to do long term damage by treating people like you so badly. Good Luck in getting your money.

letah75
12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
This is a great idea. I work for the Adult Ed in my town and they are always looking for good reliable teachers to teach just these kinds of classes. And they do the advertising, provide the space and take care of the registration as well. If you really do want to teach, this is a good option.

My mom is a retired elementary school teacher, and now teaches at the adult ed school. She teaches computer classes, mainley for senior citizens, but sometimes younger people show up.

A few months ago, she called me during my lunch hour with a knitting question. I was a bit confuzzled as she DOES NOT knit, nor does she want to attempt to knit. I asked her why she was asking as it was a technical question, not a general question. She says, (to my amazement), "I'm subbing at the adult school in the knitting class and they have a question." I answered and all was well, but adult ed is a great idea! I third that motion.

candicane
12-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Good riddance to them! It is sad that you were mistreated. I hope you get your checks and a sincere apology.

I also had a "bad" teaching experience with Joann's AND I never even got to to teach the class. I was supposed to teach Kids Knitting 1 and 2. I spoke with the education coordinator and we agreed on dates and times. She said she would send me the official schedule, info packet and tax forms. I had to call her 3 times to get those mailed to me. The schedule she sent was not the agreed on dates and times. She was never there when I called and generally took about a week to call me back.

Then, no one signed up for the classes. Ok, so that is not their fault. I called the day before the last class I was supposed to teach and only 1 person had registered. I talked to a manager and she said she would have someone call that student and cancel the class (I live 40 min. from the store). On the day of the cancelled class I got a phone call and a nasty voicemail that I had a student waiting. I called and talked to the same manager and she apologized for whoever left the message and said she would take care of it. I told her that I was not interested in being "on call" for them anymore. She said she understood and that I was not the only instructor that this had happened to. Apparently their Education department needs a complete revamping.

Candice

photolady
12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
:hug: path!) and had all but one cancelled because of too few students. The one class that did make ended up being just me, but the teacher came anyway.

They cancel classes if less than 3 sign up. Or, if the teacher is sick, and can't come in. I had to have a good class canceled, cause I was too sick to come in.

That's the first class. It seems not to matter how many are in the follow up class.

reallydolly
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
There are laws protecting workers from this kind of thing. A goof up or two is understandable but your debtors wouldn't accept these kind of excuses from you!

I urge you, please, go here and file a wage claim http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm

If this is the only time Joann's has done this they will rectify it immediately -- or possibly they are just taking advantage of as many people as they can. Please, take action and post when you've gotten satisfaction.

If you don't maybe we should all organize a boycott!

G J
12-19-2007, 11:00 PM
I've never taken a class except HERE and THERE! HERE is KH.com. THERE is Silver's Sock Class!

I won't shop at JoAnn's anymore! Last time I bought fabric there, they were just prickly and rude! GRRRR! What happened to good customer service and treating good people well???

You made the right move, Silver! No pay, no work! Thanks for sharing! You probably kept several of us from making the same mistake at our local stores!

momwolf
12-20-2007, 12:49 AM
That's justhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_6.gif

Pat in Ca
12-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Whenever you would refer to your "teaching at Joanne's" I would wonder if those people you were teaching appreciated you..I think your talents are far superior to any knitting teachers I have had.. With your talent you could have your own TV show.. I have only been knitting for a few years and don't know how to make $$ in the knitting business, but I recognize that you have ALL the skills to really make it big in this business.. You are a patient teacher with a knack for organizing directions so people can really understand.. plus
your creativity is incredible..I say quitting Joanne's is the best thing you ever did.. set up your own shop (maybe in your home)...or work with a knitting shop owner.. your options are unlimited..working at Joanne's was a waste of your time and talents in my opinion..

Shandeh
12-20-2007, 03:49 AM
Silver, I think you should advertise for private lessons on your website, because lots of people already look at it. :wink:

DQ
12-20-2007, 06:55 AM
:hug::hug::hug:

They didn't deserve you! I hope you get all your wages and go on to bigger and better things :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Oh crap, Sil, that sucks. I know people will be missing out on your patience and epertise. It's unfortunate when pencil pushers screw up something we love to do.

:hug:

Diane1212
12-20-2007, 01:51 PM
There are laws protecting workers from this kind of thing. A goof up or two is understandable but your debtors wouldn't accept these kind of excuses from you!

I urge you, please, go here and file a wage claim http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm

If this is the only time Joann's has done this they will rectify it immediately -- or possibly they are just taking advantage of as many people as they can. Please, take action and post when you've gotten satisfaction.

If you don't maybe we should all organize a boycott!

This is what I was going to say. Were you an employee or a contractor? If you were an employee there are laws about paying in a timely manner, and at least here in California, the employer has to pay penalties TO THE EMPLOYEE for late payments. You should check it out.

cookworm
12-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Silver, I'm SO sorry to hear about this...I remember how excited you were about the opportunity to teach when you got this job. It's SHAMEFUL and UNACCEPTABLE to make a person wait for THREE MONTHS for a paycheck!!! There's nothing that could justify not getting a paycheck for three months, "clerical error" or not!!! They obviously don't know who they're losing, all the knitting experience and enthusiasm and devotion that you have. I hate companies that don't do anything to try to keep good employees, but are happy to have mediocre ones to be the "face" of the company.

I'm sorry to hear about this, but I'll bet there might be something better waiting in the wings for you opportunity-wise. Usually things like this happen in order to make us available for the really good stuff that's coming our way.:hug:

Say...I hear there's some really enthusiastic knitting students here in the midwest that would love and appreciate your expertise! :teehee::twisted:

Silver
12-20-2007, 11:36 PM
This is what I was going to say. Were you an employee or a contractor? If you were an employee there are laws about paying in a timely manner, and at least here in California, the employer has to pay penalties TO THE EMPLOYEE for late payments. You should check it out.
Joanns teachers are contractors, not employees.

But the Ed Coordinator called me today and said she spoke to someone at "coporate" and I should be seeing my missing checks "shortly". I've heard that before, but at least she called ME. :shrug:

I didn't make much money teaching there, but it was nice spending cash and I really enjoyed teaching. I'm still so bummed I had to quit. I mean, really sad about it. I keep looking at my teachers notebook filled with handouts, schedules, etc and getting sad. It just sucks. Really, really sucks. :verysad:

Thank you everyone for all your sweet words of encouragment. You all make me feel so loved and I really appreciate it. :hug:

Shandeh
12-21-2007, 12:33 AM
I think you should BURN the notebook.
:evil:
One ........... page ........ at .......... a ........... time.

redheadrachel
12-21-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm sorry, Silver! I have experienced similar things with teaching piano lessons - it's terrible when you have to stop teaching something that you absolutely love, but there comes a point when you can't be taken advantage of any longer.

We ALL recognize the awesome gift for teaching that you have, and a passion like this won't go without an outlet for long! I'm glad that you're still teaching privately, and I'll pray that more opportunities come your way :)
We love and support you!!! :muah:

Shandeh
12-21-2007, 05:40 AM
I have experienced similar things with teaching piano lessons.
Rachel, I stopped having payment problems with my piano students when I started taking a single payment for each lesson. It makes bookkeeping much easier too! :thumbsup:

lelvsdgs
12-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Keep your notebook and handouts for the next class you teach. JoAnn's isn't the only fish in the sea...

Shandeh
12-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Keep your notebook and handouts for the next class you teach. JoAnn's isn't the only fish in the sea...
OH, when I said to burn them, I was referring to ONLY the JoAnn papers. :teehee: