PDA

View Full Version : Any Scarf KAL!!

The.Knitter
12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
OK, so I am knitting the last seven foot scarf. I am using Bernat Soft Boucle in solid white. I am knitting a 3 X 3 rib with a 3 stitch border on either side. I am at 36 inches right now. I want to be finished this weekend. Anyone care to join along?

1to1
12-19-2007, 02:21 PM
The.Knitter, I started the Woodland Scarf (http://k1c2.blogspot.com/2007/12/woodland-scarf-progress.html) but it has been put on hold until I finish some felted clogs for DS and the Topi (http://www.knitty.com/issuespring06/PATTtopi.html)for DD.

How is your seven foot scarf coming along?

rissa
12-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I am knitting Feather and Fan scarves as christmas gifts. I've knitted 2, I've got 1 otn, and one more to go. I'll post pics soon! Great idea for a KAL!

gal51
12-19-2007, 05:31 PM
I am knitting a scarf and hat for myself with Bernat's Soft Boucle in Pink -- it's a long one - supposed to be 70 inches - and I've only done 10 so far. It's K2P2 rib and super easy, but boring to me ... but I have nothing knit for myself, so I thought this would be good for the 2 skeins I have :cool:

Sunny_Singer
12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I am knitting an on the bias scarf, a 3 k/3p scarf and another on the bias scarf.... all at once.

The on the bias scarves are for men... the other for a woman. I have til the 24th for one, but the other 2 have to be completed by the time I go to bed tomorrow night. But they are also "extras" so if I don't finish them... it isn't a big deal - but I am trying to finish all 3 by tomorrow.

lizardknits
12-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Im knitting a ribbed scarf in wool ease natural heather.

rissa
12-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Alright, time to get serious about these last 2 scarves, lol! I'm almost done with the one, but I've got to do the next as well. They are 70 inches long, and I've just had little motivation. My goal is to get the one done today, then spend the weekend on the other. I know its doable, its just I've done so many already, lol that the stitch pattern is getting pretty mundane. They certainly are beautiful tho. I really want to make one for myself when its all said and done, but I think I'll try a totally different stitch pattern. Once I finish the blue scarf today, I'll take pictures of the ones I still have to wrap. Good luck to all of you!! :happydance:

Tia
12-22-2007, 02:04 AM
I would like to join. :waving: I'm a brand new knitter. I started a scarf MONTHS ago but had to put it down to finish crocheting several Christmas gifts.

Right now it's about 14" long. I cast on so long ago I don't know how I did it, but I do know it was the long tail co. I learned the knit and purl stitches at the same time, so I decided to do the scarf as a k3/p1 ribbing.

It looks okay, though the beginning is very loose....you can tell where I started getting the hang of the tension....and I used bulky 6 yarn on #9 needles so you can only see the ribbing on the one side, the other lies flat.

Do you all think it's worth continuing that scarf, or starting another one?

:??

The.Knitter
12-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Any piece of work you start is "worth finishing" if for no other reason than that it shows you where your improvements are. Keep at it and welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!

The.Knitter
12-23-2007, 12:20 AM
I don't think I am ever going to be finished this last scarf. Between cleaning and baking and wrapping and shopping for the feast (not to mention the three hours in the beauty salon today), plus five days flat on my butt in bed with a nasty flu bug and a party to go to tomorrow, I have not had time to knit the last half of the final scarf. I need motivation, dammit! Someone get that boot out again, PLEASE!!!

Trace
12-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Can I join in?? I've just started one tonight. The first 3 rows are loop stitches and it's 10 stitches wide, doing the body of it in Moss stitch and will end the last three rows with the loop stitch. It's on size 11 needles. The yarn is virgin handspun wool in an olive green color that a friend gave to me. It's about 8"s sofar. Going to knit til it's 65"s.

The.Knitter
12-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Sure you can, welcome.

gal51
12-23-2007, 08:22 AM
OK, so I am about 2/3 of the way finished with my 70" scarf, then I'll make a hat to go with it. It's for me and I honestly have never knitted anything for me. I'm always knitting for others or for my girls. I'm hoping I'll finish today :)

The.Knitter
12-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Best of luck to you. Don't forget to post a picture once you are done.

gal51
12-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I finished my scarf last night and I will post a pic later today. I really like it a lot - it's nothing fancy, but I mainly love it because I have never had a scarf before. Isn't that funny? I was telling my DH that last night. I live in GA and so there's not much need. But I love it - I love wearing it and I wore it all night (of course I took it off to go to bed :) ). I think I will wear it all day on Christmas Day! So I started the hat to go with it last night ........ Merry Christmas everyone!

:muah:

The.Knitter
12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
That's great, congrats. I am so glad you aer happy with your scarf!

gal51
12-24-2007, 12:47 PM
OK ... here's my scarf :cool:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/murraygal51/scarf1.jpg

Oh yeah - the pattern ... it's the Bernat Hat & Long Scarf (http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=1108) made with Soft Boucle in pink :)

Trace
12-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Ohhhhhhhh, I love how girlie it looks.. very sweet. What yarn is it knitted from?

Trace
12-25-2007, 11:10 PM
I knit this last night for a friend in NC. I wanted a scarf that didn't have a lot of bulk but would still keep the chill at bay when needed. And something more of the manly side, lol. What I had one hand was some Lions Woolease, leftover from another project. I thought I would have just enough yarn to squeak by and get the length I wanted......... I couldn't have been more wrong, lol.. whenI used up all the yarn I had, it only measured 23"s long. So, not wanting to scrap it(I was not sure I could get any more of this yarn) I wet it and blocked it to 37 1/2 "s. I think it looks ok, what do you think??
I knit it with 2 strands, one green and one brown. I had to improvise by using my ironing board, clothespins and pins as my blocking tools, lol.

The.Knitter
12-27-2007, 12:28 AM
It looks great! I hope he likes it.

Vermilion Sparrow
12-27-2007, 01:02 AM
I found a scarf pattern (homebrew from the LYS in the area where my dad lives) and 2 balls of Reynolds Paloma in a lovely blue to make it with... in my Christmas stocking!

I have to say it's a good thing I didn't have the right size needles with me, otherwise I would have been trying to knit during the 3-hour drive home--and I was driving!

It's turning out to be a lacy thing with a mock cable running up the middle (it's always fun to just get a set of instructions and have no idea what will come out), and it's looking lovely even though I'm substituting k2tog-tbl for ssk, which didn't happen on purpose at first, but it looks good, so I'm keeping it.

I'm almost halfway done and I only started a couple hours ago!

The.Knitter
12-27-2007, 01:20 AM
That sounds nice. Keep on knitting and see what you get at the end of it all. Don`t forget to post a picture.

SteveDallas
12-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I just started a "Learn To Cable" scarf from the Lion web site, with Woolease thick & quick. I'm not sure I like it, though... it's Pine, which is a dark green, and I like it, but I think it may be too dark to show the cabling to good effect. I'm going to do a couple repetitions of the pattern and decide if I want to keep it or start another color.

lcbahhur
12-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I am new at all of this and would like to join the Any Scarf KAL. I am knitting a couple of scarfs for my sister-in-law and her daughter (my niece) right now. Do I just check the posting everyday to keep up on everyone? I think I can upload my pictures with help from one of my kids.
Thanks,
lcbahhur

SteveDallas
12-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Here's the scarf so far--I like it!!

http://kbarger314.smugmug.com/photos/236962020-L.jpg

The.Knitter
12-29-2007, 03:35 PM
I am new at all of this and would like to join the Any Scarf KAL. I am knitting a couple of scarfs for my sister-in-law and her daughter (my niece) right now. Do I just check the posting everyday to keep up on everyone? I think I can upload my pictures with help from one of my kids.
Thanks,
lcbahhur

The object of a KAL is more to have some company while you are knitting and to have something in common to chat about. Keep up the good work. Don't forget to post pictures once you are done those scarves.

The.Knitter
12-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Here's the scarf so far--I like it!!

http://kbarger314.smugmug.com/photos/236962020-L.jpg

That is quite nice Steve. I don't think you will need to frog that as the cables show nicely. Keep up the good work!

lissie
12-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Anyone tried Branching Out? I started one a couple days ago and am almost half way through. My blog post (http://lis-craft.blogspot.com/2007/12/knitty-branching-out.html) and here's a photo of the WIP:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2146460571_4a357135f9_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lispics/2146460571/)

The.Knitter
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Very nice and I love the colour. What yarn did you use?

lissie
12-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Very nice and I love the colour. What yarn did you use?

Thanks! I'm using Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool.

angel4ever
12-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm starting another scarf this evening. I'm using a pattern from Vogue Stitchonary Vol 1 called a mesh pattern. It has a lace effect and it seems very pretty. I'll be using 100% Pure Wool in the poison color.

The.Knitter
12-31-2007, 01:33 AM
Sounds lovely. I can't wait to see the FO pictures.

lcbahhur
12-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Oh, I love your cable. One of the girls that live down the street that I tought how to knit saw your scarf and now wants to learn cable. It's funny because I taught her and now she is making up patterns on her own. These young people are so creative.
lcbahhur

lcbahhur
12-31-2007, 12:49 PM
I hope my picture come threw. I can't remember what yard I used. My sister-in-law picked it out. It was quick to knit with and I made her daughter one too. I got new yarn for Christmas and can't decide what to do with it. Maybe a lacey scarf.
lcbahhur

The.Knitter
12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
No picture attached, sorry.

Trace
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
That is quite nice Steve. I don't think you will need to frog that as the cables show nicely. Keep up the good work!

That is beautiful Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trace
01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks! I'm using Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool.

That's a nice pattern and I love how vibrant the color is. How's that yarn to knit with?

Trace
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I saw the loop stitch done as an edge on a scarf and wanted to try it for myself. I used what yarn I had in my stash and did 3 rows of loop. The body is worked in simple moss stitch on #11 needles. I'll finished the other edge the same way.

SteveDallas
01-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks! The seed stitch on the borders is a little loose, but I'll live. (When I pointed this out to my mom, she rolled her eyes & told me to get over it.) The problem is... I only have one skein! I thought I could just go back and buy some more, but the store I got it at (a Michael's) is out of it (of course--the Thick & Quick is on sale this week) and other places I've looked don't seem to even have that color. I wouldn't be so impatient except, well, it's COLD outside.

WandaT
01-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I'll join in as well. I just cast on an Orca Tails scarf this week and it's turning out really pretty. I'm using Patons SWS in Natural Garden.

The.Knitter
01-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Welcome Wanda. Don't forget to post a picture when you are finished. We'd all love to see your Orca Tails Scarf.

WandaT
01-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks, will do!