PDA

View Full Version : Central Park Hoodie

GinnyG
12-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Knitting daily now has the Central Park Hoodie pattern available as downloadable PDF file. The size range has been expanded. I'm going to try starting this over the holidays. Anyone interested in a "knit along"?
http://shop.interweave.com/store/Cen...x?src=KE121007 (http://shop.interweave.com/store/Cen...x?src=KE121007)

I got my yarn, Lamb's Pride worsted in "Aran" and plan to start in the coming week. There are a couple people who seem interested in doing a KAL. Is there anyone else who like to join us?

This will be my first cable sweater, I've done hats and scarves but not a sweater.

Catz
12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm in. I'm starting mine christmas day.I'll be making it longer in the body as I like them to cover my big bum

GinnyG
12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
That sounds like a plan.

kristinw
12-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I really want to make this. I have about 1200 yards of Peace Fleece which will be cutting it close. I have about the same yardage in some Elann Alpaca. Of course I have 2 other sweaters OTN right now. ugh!!

GinnyG
12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
I really want to make this. I have about 1200 yards of Peace Fleece which will be cutting it close. I have about the same yardage in some Elann Alpaca. Of course I have 2 other sweaters OTN right now. ugh!!

Are you making a very small size? This pattern is pretty yarn intensive.

divagirl
12-21-2007, 05:30 PM
I would love to join in - I love this sweater, but I couldn't start it until early Jan. Would that be ok?

GinnyG
12-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I think the idea of a knit along is that you start when you can. Some of the KAL threads have been going on forever!

kristinw
12-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Are you making a very small size? This pattern is pretty yarn intensive.

I'm pretty sure I am making the 36". A few people on Ravelry have made that size with Peace Fleece and used less than 1200 yards. I would hate to get near the end and not have enough. Maybe I'll see if I can score an extra skein or 2. I really love the color. Sort of a kermit green.

GinnyG
12-24-2007, 12:30 PM
ooooh, I love green!!!

kristinw
12-24-2007, 01:03 PM
This is the yarn. There are 1 or 2 that I have seen done in this color.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2243/2109921548_3ccaf32e71.jpg

GinnyG
12-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I cal that Kelly Green and I love it. But of course I would, I'm a redhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catz
12-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Well I've started it :cheering: I'm doing the fronts and sleeves before the back. Its knitting up quick.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/senga481/Knitting/knitting.jpg

I'm not using the Tahnki's Donegal Tweed but an aran weight wool.

GinnyG
12-25-2007, 03:02 PM
OOOH LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why are you starting with the sleeves? I was "thinking" of starting with the back. It seemed like it might be easier to get the hang of the pattern that way.

I am afraid I won't be able to start til Thursday :-(

Catz
12-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I've always done the small items first. Its so I don't get bored with the pattern before doing the fronts and sleeves. If I do them first then I can push myself to finish the back. Instead of doing the back and then putting it down and not finishing it.

suzeeq
12-25-2007, 03:09 PM
I've read about people who start with the sleeves first, to get a feel for the actual gauge and stitch pattern. You don't have to knit as much to see how the yarn will work up so if you have to rip out, there's not as much time spent on it.

GinnyG
12-25-2007, 03:15 PM
:thumbsup: GOOD IDEA!

kristinw
12-25-2007, 08:40 PM
oooh nice! I have heard about using sleeves as a swatch. hmm, maybe I'll start with a sleeve too. Although I think I may want to try and do the sleeves in the round.

Jaxhil
12-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I wanna join, too! But I do have to finish my son's sweater first-only one sleeve and the neckband to go! YAH!

kristinw, that yarn is gorgeous!!

I have the pattern, now I just need to choose my yarn :p that's the fun part! I'd like to use stash yarn but I'm not sure I have enough of anything. And I would love an excuse to buy more-I want red I think and I don't have any red :mrgreen: and I do have a gift card I can use *any* where, even the LYS-or even better, online. Then I don't have to make the 50 mile drive to the "L"YS, lol.

I think I want to do mine in the round, too, if possible.That's a great idea about starting the sleeve as a swatch! I am nervous about the cables though, all the cables I've done so far have looked stretched on the last cable stitch, if ykwim. Is that normal?

Catz, yours looks great so far! I can't wait to start!!

GinnyG
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I started mine tonight, unfortunately I'm not happy with the gauge. I did 4 inches of the sleeve ribbing and have decided to frog and move up a sixe in needles.

redheadrachel
12-26-2007, 08:55 PM
AHH, I'm starting the Central Park Hoodie!!!! I wanted to do something different from socks, not an accessory, that I would want to wear - I went to the LYS to talk about it today, and we decided on this!!!
I had them order the yarn, Cascade 220 Heathers in some green.. I'm so excited! I'm glad to see there's a KAL :woot:

GinnyG
12-27-2007, 09:10 AM
So I have my first question already!!

I have never used a chart before. I am working on the sleeve and using chart B.

The chart shows 10 rows. I would think I repeat those 10 rows. But there are littl number 1-9 on the side, what's that all about?????

kristinw
12-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Those little numbers don't seem right to me. I would just ignore them.

Catz
12-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Thats what I've done and the pattern is working out fine.

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
My CPH is finished, but I would be happy to answer any questions any of you send my way. Post your direct questions to me via PM.
That way I will not miss your question.

Ginny, I didn't know you had a CPH-KAL started! Sorry! I didn't mean to hijack your KAL! No sense having two CPH-KAL's running at the same time! I will delete my thread off the boards right now.

Hugs,

Artlady

GinnyG
12-27-2007, 10:59 PM
You don't need to delete yours!!!!!!!!!

I think it is wonderful that we have YOUR expertise to draw on:cheering:

I'm 3/4 of the wway done with my first sleeve :woot:

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 05:21 AM
So I have my first question already!!

I have never used a chart before. I am working on the sleeve and using chart B.

The chart shows 10 rows. I would think I repeat those 10 rows. But there are littl number 1-9 on the side, what's that all about?????

The numbers on the right side of the chart: 1-3-5-7-9 mean rows 1-3-5-7-9. Odd numbered rows are worked from right to left and the right side is facing you.

The rows inbetween are the wrong side rows, and should be numbered 2-4-6-8-10 as most charts do on the left side of the chart. These wrong side rows are worked from the chart reading the chart from left to right.

It also helps your "eye" to color code the cables on the chart. Pick pink for left leaning cables, and green for right leaning cables, for example. That way you won't accidentally mis-cross a cable the wrong way. Your eye will know whether or not to put your cable stitches in front or in back when making the crossover.
It speeds up the process to color code charts. I use colored gel pens, and sometimes I use highlighters. Just fill in the cable boxes on the chart and in the legend.

GinnyG
12-28-2007, 08:29 AM
AHHHH, well I did not realize that and actually hae been reading the chart left to right on all lines, which means my cables are reversed.....I don't THINK it matters as long as I do the same on sleeve two.

I'll post a picture of my sleeve, let me know if you think I should start over.

GinnyG
12-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Sorry, I had to change computers to post the picture. I think the fact that I read the chart Left to left means that the cables are switched, does this matter??

Catz
12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
I don't think it really matters but I would probably do the same for the cables on the fronts and back to keep in with cables going the opposite way

kristinw
12-28-2007, 12:11 PM
That looks great Ginny!! I love the color.

divagirl
12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
OMG - everyone's yarn and work so far is so pretty!! I can't wait to start this sweater!

Jaxhil
12-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, I finally got my yarn!

I am soo excited! We got a Visa giftcard from my lovely sis, and I got to spend some at the LYS! YAH! Always exciting, right? SO I made the drive and imagine my delight to find ....

They are having an inventory reduction SALE!! 25% off EVERYThing in the store-:woohoo:

Not only did I get some beautiful yarn for my CPH-Cascade 220 Heathers in the Spring Night colorway-a lovely dusky green; I was also able to get Barbara Walker's (first) Treasury of Knitting Patterns, and a Fiber trends Shoalwater Shawl pattern. :woot:

So I have only my son's sweater standing in the way to start my CPH- Guess I will need to start :knitting: faster :mrgreen: LOL!

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Sorry, I had to change computers to post the picture. I think the fact that I read the chart Left to left means that the cables are switched, does this matter??

Just keep doing the same thing throughout the sleeve, and make the next sleeve to match.

But when you get to your Right Front, and Left Front, and Back...be sure to read your chart the correct way. It will make a difference on those pieces.

I place a post-it note under the row I am working, with an arrow placed on the top left (or right) end of the post-it note...to remind myself to work even numbered rows starting at the left side of the chart, and vice versa.

Just a little nudge to keep myself focused on what I am doing.

GinnyG
12-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Gotcha, good idea!!! I finished my first sleeve!!!! It looks a bit big (long) but it measures according to the schematic. I am making this for my daughter, if the sleeve is too long she can cuff it.

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Gotcha, good idea!!! I finished my first sleeve!!!! It looks a bit big (long) but it measures according to the schematic. I am making this for my daughter, if the sleeve is too long she can cuff it.

The sleeves are supposed to pass the wristbone...it is the newest "look"...the "waif" look! LOL!

My daughter is only 5'3"...therefore her arms are shorter than an average height woman. So I made her sleeve length 1.5" shorter than the pattern called for, and the sleeve still hit her at mid-hand.

She just loves it!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3729.jpg

GinnyG
12-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Love that sweater!! Great picture.

My Daughter is 5'6 so I would expect her to have "normal" length arms. It may look long because I'm just looking at a sleeve!

Debkcs
12-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Could someone please post the url for the pattern so that I can buy it? Went to Interweave, but the pattern site won't show, it could be my dying computer.

Thank you!

GinnyG
12-30-2007, 08:55 AM
http://shop.interweave.com/store/Central-Park-Hoodie-P204C0.aspx?src=KE121007

Debkcs
12-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Thank you, Ginny, I finally did get into the site. Had it marked before, but our computer is on it's last legs and doesn't always keep stuff.

After looking at all the +size pictures, I wonder if this would look good on me. I'm 6'1", would make the size that equals a 1x. My major question is, where would the best places be to lenthen it, given the cables? And why, in the larger sizes, does the hood not fall correctly? Is this because of increasing the pattern w/o taking the hood into consideration?

mommydearest
12-30-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm going to start my CPH in January but need to "test-drive" some different yarn to see what I want to use. I don't need it heavy so I bought a skein of Lion Brand Cotton-Ease to see how it works for me. Another suggestion was TLC but Michaels doesn't sell it, or at least not that I could find.

All the pics look great - I hope mine will be as well.

When the zipper was added - is it much different than sewing a zipper in clothing?

Thanks

Mary

Catz
12-31-2007, 04:58 AM
I've done the sides and 1 sleeve. I'm now workingon the other sleeve. Because I like my jumpers to cover my big bum I've done the sides 1.5 inches longer. Its knitting up real quick which I'm glad about as I get bored easily. Even my mum likes it.

GinnyG
12-31-2007, 06:21 AM
Good job!!

I have finished the sleeves, they are blocked and on the counter drying. Tonight or tomorrow I'll post pictures. I figured I'd "block as I went". Although this is the first timje I have ever blocked cables. I wasn't sure how to do that so I just kinda "fluffed" the cable part up and patted the knitted part down!!

Debkcs, I would just lengthen the body and sleeves by a cble repeat (or two if necessary). You could also lengthen the hood as well but I wouldn't think that would be necessary.

I am making this one for my duaghter who is a pretty stndard size. The next will be for me and I will lengthen the body.

ArtLady1981
12-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Thank you, Ginny, I finally did get into the site. Had it marked before, but our computer is on it's last legs and doesn't always keep stuff.

After looking at all the +size pictures, I wonder if this would look good on me. I'm 6'1", would make the size that equals a 1x. My major question is, where would the best places be to lenthen it, given the cables? And why, in the larger sizes, does the hood not fall correctly? Is this because of increasing the pattern w/o taking the hood into consideration?

Hi Debkcs!

I lengthen sweaters BEFORE I begin the armhole shaping; in other words, before I bind off those 4 or 5 stitches that signal the beginning of the armhole (and chest) area. If you are 6'1" tall, perhaps 4"-5" extra length. The true test is this: what is length stated for the 1X? Measure that length from the nape of your neck, and see where it hits. Then, add a few inches, and see if that is better, etc. I think this hoodie would be adorable as a cropped jacket, mid-hip, or even over the hip! Add the inches that suit your taste. I do it all the time!

Remembering, it will suck up more yarn, so be sure you have enough!

GinnyG
12-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Sleeves done and blocked. Starting on the back. The sleeves blocked a bit bigger than I would have liked. I'm thinking about dropping down a needle size after the ribbing on the body....

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Sleeves done and blocked. Starting on the back. The sleeves blocked a bit bigger than I would have liked. I'm thinking about dropping down a needle size after the ribbing on the body....

By "bigger"...do you mean length or width or both?

GinnyG
01-01-2008, 10:11 PM
BOTH!!!!!!!!!!
I'm proceeding with the rest (back 1/2 done) and am actually considering frogging the sleeves........ but I am going to wait on that for now.

dreamsherl
01-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Hello everyone. I have been working on a CPH for my DD in-between a few other projects. Can I join in?
I'm using Plymouth Tweed 100% Virgin Lambswool.
Question. Should I block the pieces before I seam them together?
Here is what I have thus far:

GinnyG
01-03-2008, 06:06 AM
ooooooooooooooohhhh very nice!!

join right in~

I don't know about the blocking. I usually make all in one sweaters and block at once so this is new to me. It would seem like blocking each piece to size would make the assembly go smoother but.... what do I know!!!

Catz
01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm onto the back now and just starting the armholes. I must be enjoying this as l can't put it down.

GinnyG
01-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm about 1/3 of the way up the back but had to put it down for a bit. I have a rolled neck top down sweater that is ALMOST completed (working on the last sleeve) and I was feeling so guilty about it that I had to finish it. But with luck I'll b back to CPH by the weekend WITH another FO'd.

GinnyG
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
YOOHOOOO!!

How is everyone doing?

I finished the back tonight and cast on for the L front.

I hope I did the ack neck correctly, the way the decreases worked I think it looks a bit "steppie" (does that make sense??) Most of the sweaters I have done have raglan sleeves so I'm not at all sure about the piece business. I thought the sleeve caps looked a bit square as well. But then perhaps it all come clear in the assembly!!

I've deicded not to bloack the back just yet, I think I will block the back and front together.

dreamsherl
01-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I had to put mine aside so that I can complete a baby shower gift and a request form my DD.

Catz
01-08-2008, 04:45 AM
I've seamed the sides and I'm on doing the hood now.I'll probably do the hood a little longer than what the pattern says. and if l have any yarn left after doing the button band I'll be putting some pockets in.

GiddyKnitter
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Well I have just got my pattern out and wondering what kind of yarn yo use...I can't wear pure wool. Has anyone got any ideas?? I am looking forward to making it yours all look great x

GinnyG
01-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I think this would be great in votton. I have some cotton I've been stashing and am thinging about making one for myself in cotton when I finish my daughter's.

I don't know if I am having a brain fart or what but I have cast on 4 TIMES for the left front, for some reason my ribbing is coming out wrong......... have no clue what I;m doing wrong. What a stupid thing to mess up on. K2P2-HOW MUCH EASIER CAN YOU GET???????????????????????????

GiddyKnitter
01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Sometimes the easiest things can prove to be really difficult!!
Thanks for the advice about cotton...I can feel a trip to the yarn shop coming on!!!

kristinw
01-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I think this would be great in votton. I have some cotton I've been stashing and am thinging about making one for myself in cotton when I finish my daughter's.

I don't know if I am having a brain fart or what but I have cast on 4 TIMES for the left front, for some reason my ribbing is coming out wrong......... have no clue what I;m doing wrong. What a stupid thing to mess up on. K2P2-HOW MUCH EASIER CAN YOU GET???????????????????????????

Are you using the pattern from Knitting Daily? There is a whole thread on Ravelry on errors in the pattern. And I know the ribbing was one of the problems. Are you on Ravelry??

GinnyG
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I am on ravelry but haven't been on in some time
It's a very simple direction, cast on 48 stitiches
First row K2P2 repeat to end
Second row P2K2 repeat to end.
Instead of ribbing I'm getting more of a "moss stitch"

with an even number of stitiches when doing a rib the second (and subsequent even rows) SHOULD be the opposite of the first, RIGHT???? I feel like I'm losing my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kristinw
01-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I am on ravelry but haven't been on in some time
It's a very simple direction, cast on 48 stitiches
First row K2P2 repeat to end
Second row P2K2 repeat to end.
Instead of ribbing I'm getting more of a "moss stitch"

with an even number of stitiches when doing a rib the second (and subsequent even rows) SHOULD be the opposite of the first, RIGHT???? I feel like I'm losing my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Under “Left Front”: Row 2 (WS) K2, p2; rep from to end of row.

That is one of the corrections. So it makes total sense that you aren't getting ribbing.

There is a Central Park KAL there and there are so many helpful posts. I haven't even started knitting it yet and have learned so much!!!

It is here (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/central-park-hoodie-kal). There is a thread just for mistakes that has like 95 posts. That was one that I remembered but you may want to browse through to see what else you see.

Good luck!

GinnyG
01-08-2008, 01:23 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an idiot I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
which just goes to show what an idiot I am , AND how pattern dependent (no thinking out of the boc here!!!!!!!!!!).

kristinw
01-08-2008, 01:30 PM
No problem. I am totally the same way!

Mizz Maggie
01-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi all!

I started my CPH in a locally produced wool. It's so dense I think the poor thing could stand up in the corner by itself. Ah, well...it will become an "outdoor" garmet rather than a "I refuse to mention the lack of heat in this office again" garmet.

While researching the CPH I came across ONE (just one) completed project that mentioned that the arms were snug.

I'm nervous. Assure me...

(Also, I knitted sides and back on one circular needle. I found it helpful to draw it out as if I had already seamed it together, jotting notes beneath it. It doesn't look too small. And the cables all originated where they were supposed to in the ribbing. Dumb luck, probably)

GinnyG
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi all!

I started my CPH in a locally produced wool. It's so dense I think the poor thing could stand up in the corner by itself. Ah, well...it will become an "outdoor" garmet rather than a "I refuse to mention the lack of heat in this office again" garmet.

While researching the CPH I came across ONE (just one) completed project that mentioned that the arms were snug.

I'm nervous. Assure me...

(Also, I knitted sides and back on one circular needle. I found it helpful to draw it out as if I had already seamed it together, jotting notes beneath it. It doesn't look too small. And the cables all originated where they were supposed to in the ribbing. Dumb luck, probably)
I would LOVE to try my next one all in one piece (front and back)!!! It's funny that you mention the density of the yarn, my number one complaint is that my yarn is too"soft", I'd like a little more body to it!!

Mizz Maggie
01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Oh, never fear, there's more yarn coming from the Yarnmarket this afternoon for yet another CPH.

Someone stop me!

GinnyG
01-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh, never fear, there's more yarn coming from the Yarnmarket this afternoon for yet another CPH.

Someone stop me!
NOT I!!!!!!!!! Far be it for me to stand between a woman and her YARN:roflhard:

Catz
01-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Nor me :roflhard: I'm going to be getting some more aran yarn after finishing this 1. I've enjoyed doing it that much.

GiddyKnitter
01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Off I went to the yarn shop today clutching my pattern for CPH...Ohhhh what a time I had in there. I have chosen Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed in a lovely pale grey with flecks of pale blue/pinks/lemon. So here I am with everything at the ready...Off to have a early bath and put on my Pj's so then there wont be any interuptions (or there had better not be)!!!

GinnyG
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
OOOOOH sounds lovely. I just LOVE tweedy yarn.

Mizz Maggie
01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh Pauline! That's EXACTLY what showed up on the front porch this very afternoon. Pale pale grey with flecks of pink and navy. I'm committed to finishing the stronger than average CPH in the ah..."robust" wool for now. Back complete, I'm going to try to finish a front tonight.

Send pics as you progress!

GiddyKnitter
01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow how neat is that? I have started the back..half way up the rib its looking good so far.
What size are you doing Miss Maggie? Just wondering what its coming out like!

Mizz Maggie
01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey Pauline!
I needed a 38, so I sized up to the 40. I'm regretting it now. So many other before me had warned that it was too small and they had frg'd and started again with a larger size.

I thought a 40 would be fine, plus the extra few stitches on either seam (I did it on one circ needle) would give some room. I've got room--and then some, and it doesn't take into account the button band!

Fortunately, I have a running buddy who is clammering to give it a home.

Next one, a size 36 but I'd still do it on one circular needle.

How far did you get?

GinnyG
01-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm anxious to hear any tips on knitting the front and back together. After I finish my daughter's I'd like to do one for myself all in one. Since the mattress stitch doesn't really take up much in the seaming department I would think you wouldn't need to adjust the number of stitches at all.

Mizz Maggie
01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I'll scan my scribbles for you so you can see how my mind works when I deconstruct a pattern. Artist, I am not. But I love a good planning session.

GinnyG
01-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Are there many "adjustments" to be made?

GiddyKnitter
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I am doing a 38"...although I have a narrow back I need it for my boobs!!
I dint like things too tight across my chest. I have done about 4 pattern repeats now and it's looking really nice...The yarn isn't a soft as I would have liked but its OK x

GinnyG
01-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Pauline, are you doing the front and back in pieces or all on one needle?

GiddyKnitter
01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I am doing it in sperate pieces on a circular (my new harmonys) I might add!!!!!!

GinnyG
01-10-2008, 04:47 PM
:thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Off I went to the yarn shop today clutching my pattern for CPH...Ohhhh what a time I had in there. I have chosen Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed in a lovely pale grey with flecks of pale blue/pinks/lemon. So here I am with everything at the ready...Off to have a early bath and put on my Pj's so then there wont be any interuptions (or there had better not be)!!!

Oooooooh....yummy! Photos, please? I just have to see this yarn!

GinnyG
01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm STUCK

Left front Size 44
NECK SHAPING
Next Row (WS) Work in a patt across 10 sts, then place these sts on a holder
THIS WOULD BE 10 STITCHES ON THE FRONT LEFT EDGE, A CABLE UNIT, right???

Work to end of row. Keeping in patt, BO (2) st(s) at the neck edge every other row 3 times
Does this mean the BO sitches are are on the sleeve edge or between the stitches on the holder and the needle at the neck-THAT doesn't make sense??????????

HELP!!!!

ArtLady1981
01-11-2008, 09:58 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm STUCK

Left front Size 44
NECK SHAPING
Next Row (WS) Work in a patt across 10 sts, then place these sts on a holder
THIS WOULD BE 10 STITCHES ON THE FRONT LEFT EDGE, A CABLE UNIT, right???

Work to end of row. Keeping in patt, BO (2) st(s) at the neck edge every other row 3 times
Does this mean the BO sitches are are on the sleeve edge or between the stitches on the holder and the needle at the neck-THAT doesn't make sense??????????

HELP!!!!

A clue is this: If the shaping instructions are mentioned under the subheading NECK SHAPING...then yes, after you put those neck edge 10 stitches on a holder, then you will keep shaping the neck edge by BO 2 st at the "new" neck edge EOR 3x's. Keep careful track!

For 'extra fun', some cardigan patterns will have you shaping the armhole edges at the same time you are shaping the neck edges!

GinnyG
01-11-2008, 10:03 PM
THANKS,
Just PM'd you. it just seemed odd to put the 10 stitches on a holder and THEN start decreasing.......... it will make sense later, RIGHT:zombie:

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! GOT IT DOWN!!! Left front finished, two sleeves and back. Tomorrow I start the R front. I'm on ambualnce duty til Sun night, so as long as it's "quiet" I'll have all kinds of knitting time!!!!!!!!!

ArtLady1981
01-12-2008, 08:52 AM
[quote=GinnyG;1040642]THANKS,
Just PM'd you. it just seemed odd to put the 10 stitches on a holder and THEN start decreasing.......... it will make sense later, RIGHT:zombie:

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! GOT IT DOWN!!! Left front finished, two sleeves and back. Tomorrow I start the R front. I'm on ambualnce duty til Sun night, so as long

Yes, it will make sense. The 10 on the holder will be a part of something else later...so forget them...just do your decreases on the newly created neck edge. It gives the gentle taper/shaping to the neck edge.

Let me know if you need further help! :hug:

Catz
01-12-2008, 09:03 AM
THANKS,

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! GOT IT DOWN!!! Left front finished, two sleeves and back. Tomorrow I start the R front. I'm on ambualnce duty til Sun night, so as long as it's "quiet" I'll have all kinds of knitting time!!!!!!!!!

It'll be so when you come to do the hood you will knit across the 10stitches you've put on the holder then pick up so many up the front to the sholder then knit the stitches from the back and then down the other side to the other 10 stitches.

GinnyG
01-12-2008, 10:19 AM
It makes alot more sense now that it's done. I don't know that I would call it a "gentle taper" it is a bit saw toothie, don't know if I'm doing something wrong with my decrease. I like to K 2 SSK decrease best, I think that makes a "smoother" decrease (as in the armholes) but I guess the neck needed too many stitches decreased at once.

I am assuming the "saw tooth" appearance will disappear when you cast on the stitches for the hoo.

ArtLady1981
01-14-2008, 12:46 AM
It makes alot more sense now that it's done. I don't know that I would call it a "gentle taper" it is a bit saw toothie, don't know if I'm doing something wrong with my decrease. I like to K 2 SSK decrease best, I think that makes a "smoother" decrease (as in the armholes) but I guess the neck needed too many stitches decreased at once.

I am assuming the "saw tooth" appearance will disappear when you cast on the stitches for the hoo.

To prevent the sawtooth appearance of a "bind off" series...do this:
instead of knitting the very first stitch, just slip it, then knit the next stitch, and then continue on with the rest of the bind offs as usual. The slipped 1st stitch is like magic! It lays down nice! :thumbsup:
I got that tip from Elsebeth Lavold. I can't take credit! :eyes:

GinnyG
01-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Darn, yup too late for this one but I'll "store" that tip.

All parts done:cheering: , seamed my shoulders and started on the hood. So now I understand the 10 stitches on the holder. I should be able to fly through the hood.

OOH OOH OOH, I'm getting close to the home stretch.

How's everyone else doing?

GiddyKnitter
01-14-2008, 12:02 PM
DON'T ASK...I have undone mine I do not like working with the DB tweed .. It is making my fingers sore! So I am starting it again in DB Rialto Aran in cream...fingers crossed x

Mizz Maggie
01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi all. I tried to be TOO clever and do both sleeves at the same time on two circular needles. Between the kitty and I, we turned it into a gi'gunda morass.

One sleeve is 1/2 done on one circular needle. Done during book club.

I also had to screech WTF!! ONIGI (oh NOW I get it) when it was time to put the 10 on the stitch holder. (perhaps there should have been a parenthetical explaination) (but I'll admit, I'm fond of parenthesis)

Mags

Mizz Maggie
01-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. But, I so respect your judgement, I'm sending my grey DB back for something else.

Catz
01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm just about finished. I was going to put a zip instead of buttons so I'm going to have to frog part of the band to put button holes in. I tried to put an afterthought pocket in but it didn't look right so I took it back out. Other than that I'm all finished and can't wait to start another one.

GinnyG
01-14-2008, 12:17 PM
DON'T ASK...I have undone mine I do not like working with the DB tweed .. It is making my fingers sore! So I am starting it again in DB Rialto Aran in cream...fingers crossed x

What is it? The thickness or the texture of the yarn? Is it rough and scratchy??

GiddyKnitter
01-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Miss Maggie
I just love Debbie Bliss and this is the first yarn that I have worked with and didn't like it...Pity it took me 3 balls kniited up before I decided to send it back!!!!

GiddyKnitter
01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
GinnyG
Yes it scratchy and coarse! Would not reccomentd this yarn for anything!!!

ArtLady1981
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Might be too late for most of you who have already cast on with, and invested in, scratchy yarn.

A very soft tweed is Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed and/or Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed. I used it for a Viking Knits pullover a couple years ago, and highly recommend it.

I made my daughter's CPH using the Tahki Donegal Tweed as featured in the magazine model because I wanted that shade of green for her. It was scratchy and stiff. Shocking.

After each piece was done, I handwashed, rinsed, and rinsed a final time using hair conditioner in the rinse water.

Then, of course, I blocked each piece...the fronts, the back, the two sleeves, and finally, even the hood. Only the ribbing didn't get the wash/rinse/rinse treatment.

I was surprised how much excess dye came out in the wash and rinse.

My daughter's CPH turned out nice and soft and "tame".

divagirl
01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
YAY!! I'm in, I'm in!! I cast on the other night and I have gotten into the cables on the back. I am making mine in Ultra Alpaca color Fern. It's an olivey green. It really is coming together quickly.

Everyone's work is beautiful!

GinnyG
01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
:cheering:

GinnyG
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm working on the placket, directions say to do right and left sides seperately starting at the hood.

Why can't I just start on one lower edge and work all the way to the other edge?

ArtLady1981
01-16-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm working on the placket, directions say to do right and left sides seperately starting at the hood.

Why can't I just start on one lower edge and work all the way to the other edge?

I wish I had! :thumbsup: It will prevent the visibility of the seam at the top of the hood, just above the forehead of the wearer.

Your idea is a great design idea! A good "tweak"!

See that seam at the top of the hood? It bugs the heck outa me! Grrr. :hair:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3724.jpg?t=1200539133

Catz
01-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Thats what I've done. I've picked up the stitches for the button band all the way round with no seam at the top of the hood. I've frogged back an inch to put in button holes and now I'm just casting off again. Then its finished. I just have to get some buttons and sew them on. Pics later tonight. :woohoo:

GinnyG
01-17-2008, 05:27 AM
WHEW! Cause that is what I did!!! It didn't make any sense to have a seam. I will say it's a lot on the needles but I have a 60 inch cable. I also didn't count the stitches exactly, I lengthened mine a couple inches and so just picked up stitches trying to make it flat, the ribbing takes us space anyway. I looks like it will lay flat nicely.

I THINK I am going to use a zipper, or crotchet the band as shown. I think I'd like the zipper better. I'm wondering though, when binding off, usually I bind off in pattern (k2p2) but do you think that binding off in knit only would give a "firmer" (less stretchy) edge to put the zipper on?

Can't wait to see you pice CATZ.

Thanks Artlady :-)

Catz
01-17-2008, 08:16 AM
I lengthened mine about 1 and 1/2 inches so I had to add on a few more stitches to the button band. I ended up with 402 stitches. I had to make sure that when added up in the k2p2 pattern it came up with a k2 start and finish to the right side row. Its sits lovely and flat but I could have made it a bit longer but when I wash it. It might drop another 1/2 inch (hopefully) :rofl:

I'm thinking of getting either cream or oatmeal buttons for it.

ArtLady1981
01-17-2008, 09:53 PM
WHEW! Cause that is what I did!!! It didn't make any sense to have a seam. I will say it's a lot on the needles but I have a 60 inch cable. I also didn't count the stitches exactly, I lengthened mine a couple inches and so just picked up stitches trying to make it flat, the ribbing takes us space anyway. I looks like it will lay flat nicely.

I THINK I am going to use a zipper, or crotchet the band as shown. I think I'd like the zipper better. I'm wondering though, when binding off, usually I bind off in pattern (k2p2) but do you think that binding off in knit only would give a "firmer" (less stretchy) edge to put the zipper on?

Can't wait to see you pice CATZ.

Thanks Artlady :-)

You see my CPH in the photo. I did the bind off in K2/P2 rib. I tested the 'knit only' bind off...and it didn't look good.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3723.jpg

GinnyG
01-18-2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks!
I'm leaning toward the zipper but may try the crochet button band. I've put zips in my last two sweaters and they worked out well so most likely will stick to that.

Just an FYI, did you know you can order custome length zippers in a zillion colors from zipperstop.com?

GinnyG
01-19-2008, 12:19 AM
WOOHOOOOOOOO!

FINISHED!!!!!!!!!! I'm not real thrilled with my seaming but it's the first "set in sleeve" I've done.

Things I have learned for next time:
Artladys way of decreasing to avoid "steps"
The NEXT one will be "in the round", I REALLY HATE SEAMS!!

On the next sweater I am going to use Kitchner stitch on the shoulders, I REALLY HATE SEAMS

I used the three needle bind off on the hood but I think I'll try Kitchner on it as well

Pictures tomorrow:cheering:

GinnyG
01-19-2008, 10:28 AM
My camera isn't very good but here it is...... Unfortunately my daughter is 2000 miles away so I can't post a picture with a model!

ArtLady1981
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
WOOHOOOOOOOO!

FINISHED!!!!!!!!!! I'm not real thrilled with my seaming but it's the first "set in sleeve" I've done.

Things I have learned for next time:
Artladys way of decreasing to avoid "steps"
The NEXT one will be "in the round", I REALLY HATE SEAMS!!

On the next sweater I am going to use Kitchner stitch on the shoulders, I REALLY HATE SEAMS

I used the three needle bind off on the hood but I think I'll try Kitchner on it as well

Pictures tomorrow:cheering:

I really really second that one Ginny! Kitchener seaming for the top of the hood. Wish I had thought of that one, and the idea of doing the ribbing up the fronts and across the hood all in one big SWOOP!

Ah, ya live and ya learn...sometimes!:teehee:

Debkcs
01-19-2008, 05:44 PM
That's so pretty Ginny! Congratulations on getting it done, working through all the seaming, it must have felt like it was taking forever.

I'm sure your DD will love it and wear it with pride.

divagirl
01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Ginny - how beautiful!! :cheering:

The benefit to starting into a KAL late is all the advice you can pick up! I just finished the back this morning, I'll probably move onto a sleeve next. I love that it is knitting up so quickly and becomes mindless once you get into the groove.

Catz
01-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Here's mine.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/senga481/Knitting/knitting015.jpg

And here's one I'm doing for my mum,

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/senga481/Knitting/knitting014.jpg

GinnyG
01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Nice nice! I really like the tweedy flecky yarn!

My zipper arrived today, I hope to get it in and mailed to my daughter this weekend. I don't have the right color thread so will have to stop at the fabrid store tomorrow on my way home from work.

ArtLady1981
01-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Oooooh, I love it Catz!! Love :heart: the tweed effects! Love Love Love!

Your Mum's CPH is very soft and cozy looking!

lactosefree
01-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been knitting for a few years now (scarves, hats, gloves, socks, stuffed animals, blankets) but I've never knit sweaters that require seaming. I just purchased the pattern but am concerned that it will be too overwhelming. Would any of you recommend I start out with something simpler?

Also, I was thinking if i'm going to do this I would love to use either the Rowan Felted Tweed or the Rowan Wool Cotton, but since they're thinner than the yarn in the actual pattern i'm wondering how difficult it would be to adjust the number of stitches.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!!
Susan

ArtLady1981
01-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been knitting for a few years now (scarves, hats, gloves, socks, stuffed animals, blankets) but I've never knit sweaters that require seaming. I just purchased the pattern but am concerned that it will be too overwhelming. Would any of you recommend I start out with something simpler?

Also, I was thinking if i'm going to do this I would love to use either the Rowan Felted Tweed or the Rowan Wool Cotton, but since they're thinner than the yarn in the actual pattern i'm wondering how difficult it would be to adjust the number of stitches.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!!
Susan

Hi'ya Susan! :waving:

I wouldn't recommend using a 'thinner' yarn for this sweater.
Please select a yarn that is a worsted weight.

This sweater pattern is not a super difficult pattern. But, I wouldn't call it a pattern for beginner sweater knitters.
However, some knitters are excellent at 'catching on'...and excellent at teaching themselves the techniques by looking at books and video clips!

For first time sweater knitting...I recommend that your pattern is:
1) a pullover
2) "dropped shoulders"
HERE (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Oat+Couture+Leaflet+GU406+%2D +Port+Orford+Pullover&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=&OrderBy=&Count=15)is a sweater that has those features.
The "dropped shoulders" are easier to seam the sleeves onto.

Don't be overwhelmed by seaming. Learn to make the "mattress seam". Amy has a video clip here at KH.

I liked the Port Orford pattern so much I knit it 3 times with different yarns! It was fast and easy! Different yarns make it different in appearance.

This Port Orford was knit with a Lion Brand mohair blend.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/000_0043.jpg

This Port Orford was Plymouth ENCORE yarn.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/000_0045.jpg

This red one is NORO Silk Garden.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/SilkGardenPortOrford.jpg

GinnyG
01-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Artlady, I love that!!!! I MUST addit to my ever growing list of "gotta do's"!! Especially the "silk garden" one.

I was wondering..... can you recommend a COTTON yarn to do the CPH in? I'd like to make a heavy cotton one that will carry me through the spring into summer.

Thanks!

ArtLady1981
01-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Artlady, I love that!!!! I MUST addit to my ever growing list of "gotta do's"!! Especially the "silk garden" one.

I was wondering..... can you recommend a COTTON yarn to do the CPH in? I'd like to make a heavy cotton one that will carry me through the spring into summer.

Thanks!

Hi Ginny! :waving:

As long as the cotton is heavy enough to get the right gauge I think it would work out! Some "cable cottons" are heavier than dk gauge.

However, cotton won't "bloom" like wool does. The "bloom" of the yarn (after washing) is a nice touch that fills in the holes.

Let me know what you find!

itsjustmeghan
02-10-2008, 11:55 AM
i'm swatching up with berroco peruvia for this sweater today....i hope it goes well! all of your tips and whatnot are very helpful! i want this sweater to go better then my tilted duster experience. i LOVE this hoodie and have looked at it for a long time. all of the success here and on ravelry are very encouraging!

GinnyG
02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
GOOD LUCK!

litera0
03-04-2008, 06:49 PM
hello there, I', writing from Mexico, and it's really dificult for me to finally get the Central Park Hoodie, do you think you can share it with me????
I really apreciate it.
Thanks.

lactosefree
03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
litera0:

you can buy the pattern online at this site:

http://shop.interweave.com/Central-Park-Hoodie-P204C53.aspx

it downloads directly onto your computer as a pdf file - no need for shipping.

ArtLady1981
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Just a quick note:

I finished a green CPH for DD a few months ago. The pattern was very easy, and fun, and quick!

I just got some of the new Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed in color "denim"...and after I get this "Tempting II KAL" wrapped up, and finish my "Something Red" (80% done) ... I intend to make a CPH for myself!!!

Should I start a fresh CPH/KAL when I start mine, or not?

GinnyG
03-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I haven't started my second one yet either, still trying to decide on the perfect yarn. Since spring is coming I am really wanting to use cotton. I think I may have enough Brown sheep cotton fleece but am worried aobut the gauge being too small.

The yarn label calls for a size six needle. I may swatch to see but am wondering if I should should just make the next size up?

outdoordrea
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I just downloaded this pattern. I've never done cables before, but I've watched the videos on this site. I'm still waiting to find the right yarn, then I'm going to start! I want something warm, but not 100% wool...well, maybe washable wool. I've been wanting this pattern for months.

lactosefree
03-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Just a quick note:
Should I start a fresh CPH/KAL when I start mine, or not?

That would be great! :thumbsup:

I have my 9 skeins of Cascade Superwash 220 waiting for me in my stash bin. I still need to knit a swatch, block it, and then measure it. A new CPH/KAL would be the perfect excuse to get it started!

Yay, I'm excited! :blooby: