PDA

View Full Version : FO.. Ballband dishcloth

Trace
12-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Can you be in love with a dishcloth pattern?? I love this one. I knit a bunch of "theme" dishcloths for christmas gifts this year but, this one is my favorite. The pattern comes from "Mason Dixon Knitting". I made this cloth for my mother in law, last minute. I like how the colors play off of eachother.

Debkcs
12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
That's nice, I'm sure she'll love it.

Mason-Dixon Knitting is one of my favorite books. I keep it by my bedside and browse through it when I wake up at night.

Trace
12-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks.. Isn't the book a hoot to read? I love the way it is written. I want to knit the bathmat next using Lilys, along with some hand towels with the linen I bought.

nannaknits
12-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

mhansen
12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Very nice.

Mariblue
12-20-2007, 10:56 PM
I was just thinking of trying out that pattern! Yours looks great, I love that you chose to do it in Christmas Colors. :cheering:

auburnchick
12-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Your dishcloth turned out GREAT!

I've made two of these (I just love the book!). We use them all the time.

I've also made the Absorba mat and linen hand towels (moss stitch) from the book. :thumbsup:

saracidaltendencies
12-21-2007, 12:11 AM
That is really nice!

mdog182
12-21-2007, 02:00 AM
cute! i love the christmas colors!

ritaw
12-21-2007, 05:10 AM
That is very pretty! :)

dustinac
12-21-2007, 10:07 AM
:happydance:
It looks great!!

Trace
12-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks girls for all your wonderful comments. I've been digging through my dishcloth yarns to come up with some pretty cool color combo's for these dishclothes. I'm doing one now in two shades of blue.

Jan in CA
12-21-2007, 12:10 PM
That looks great! I've always wondered what the backside of that looks like, can you share a photo?

1to1
12-21-2007, 12:14 PM
That is so cool looking...love the colors!!:thumbsup:

Trace
12-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Here's a picture of the backside view of that ballband cloth. It's not a great picture, sorry about the quality. I also attached a pic of the front and back of the blue one I just started for my mom.

Jan in CA
12-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks, that doesn't look bad! ;)

ah
12-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Looks great!

dmknits
12-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Very nice! :)

SteveDallas
12-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Great job! I really want to try some of these (bought the yarn for it this weekend). What's the best way to do the color changes? A duplicate stitch join? or ... ?

knitrageous
12-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Very nice! I like this pattern a lot too. And it's a good way to use my little bits of leftover yarn. I made some Scribble Lace and the potholder loop bathmats out of the book too. It's a great book. You'll have fun with coming up with color combos!
On the yarn...I just carried it up the side. Somewhere I found instructions to do like an i-cord edge to cover the twists better but it's fine without.

photolady
12-31-2007, 11:33 PM
I just finished a ballband dishcloth today. I used purple for the bands, and all kinds of colors for the stripes. Like, green, orange, pale yellow, red....It was fun. I got the pattern here:http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/knit_a_ballband_dishcloth.php

Jaxhil
01-01-2008, 10:25 AM
:muah: That looks great! I have this book too and I love it too! I've made two ball-band dishcloths and one of the other dishcloths too-the round one w/ the picots (it's really cute too in hot pink!). I also bought some cotton/linen blend from Knit Picks to make the towels but haven't gotten to that yet. I want to make bathmat too :teehee:

Btw, the new blue one is pretty too!

I really love the red and green cloth, it looks so festive-great idea!

Trace
01-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Great job! I really want to try some of these (bought the yarn for it this weekend). What's the best way to do the color changes? A duplicate stitch join? or ... ?

Hi, I just carry the yarn up the side also. Just twist it, then drop the color your not going to knit with. These are fun to knit and I like thinking up the color combos.

Trace
01-01-2008, 09:22 PM
:muah: That looks great! I have this book too and I love it too! I've made two ball-band dishcloths and one of the other dishcloths too-the round one w/ the picots (it's really cute too in hot pink!). I also bought some cotton/linen blend from Knit Picks to make the towels but haven't gotten to that yet. I want to make bathmat too :teehee:

Btw, the new blue one is pretty too!

I really love the red and green cloth, it looks so festive-great idea!

Thanks. I'm knitting my 3rd ballband now. I gave the first 2 I knit(the christmas and the blue one) to my MIL. I'm working on some for my mom for her birthday. I found a great little pattern for making a soapscrubby sac with a ballband. Some people have even made mop head covers from ballbands.
I found a source for double worsted to make the bathmats from Mason Dixon with. Those are on my project list for gifts. I too have linen. That pattern was the reason I first looked at the book. My LYO owner lent me her copy. Then I knew I had to buy my own.

Trace
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I just finished a ballband dishcloth today. I used purple for the bands, and all kinds of colors for the stripes. Like, green, orange, pale yellow, red....It was fun. I got the pattern here:http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/knit_a_ballband_dishcloth.php

Would love to see yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trace
01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Here's a pic of the color combo I started for my mom. I used a different combo at first but there was not enough color contrast to do the pattern justice, so I ripped it out and did this combo instead.
Also, I included a pic of a tweed stitch washcloth I made as a practice piece.