PDA

View Full Version : My Rabbit Died This Morning -- I'm So Sad

auburnchick
12-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I've had a terrible morning.
:verysad:
I loaded up all of my animals (dogs, rats, and rabbit) to take to the boarding facility for the holidays. When I got there, I took my youngest dog, Molly, out and left the other animals in the car. I cannot handle taking in three dogs at a time, and I've done this before, and it works well.

So, after the employees took Molly back to the run, I went back to the car to get my other two dogs. When I opened up the back door (SUV), I saw Chloe, my daughter's rabbit, lying on her side, outside of her cage, up against the side of the car. She was not moving.

:cry:

I totally lost it. I took my dogs inside, crying the whole way and unable to speak because I was in shock.

The employees of the facility followed me out to the car and wrapped her in a towel. They think her heart gave out from being frightened by the dogs. I think my older dog, who would start salivating whenever she got near the rabbit, pushed open the side of the cage, which did not latch to the bottom tray, and chased Chloe out into the back of the car, where she got trapped.

I feel so bad. If I had taken my older dog out first, the other two probably wouldn't have messed with the rabbit. They've never been that interested in her anyway. There are so many what if's, but ultimately, I feel responsible.

My daughter has a soccer game tonight...against a really tough team. We're not going to tell her until afterward. We were going to open family presents tonight since we're going out of town in the morning. I doubt we'll feel like it now.

I'm sorry...I'm just so sad. Dh, who didn't want the rabbit but quickly grew attached to her, is devastated.

:verysad:

Sharly
12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm so sorry!:cry:

Knitting_Guy
12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
That is sad, my condolences.

jodstr2
12-21-2007, 01:05 PM
:hug: my condolences, Nathalie. :hug:

figaro
12-21-2007, 02:10 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_44.gif I am so sorry for your loss!

cftwo
12-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm so sorry, Nathalie.

auburnchick
12-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks, y'all. I know that there are a lot of animal lovers on this board, so you understand how I feel.

:muah:

yarnfreak
12-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Oh hon, I'm so sorry.

scout52
12-21-2007, 03:11 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: I"m sooo sorry :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: I know this will be so hard on you all.

Mariblue
12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
:hug:

*KnitPixie*
12-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Nathalie, I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit:verysad:Just a word of advice though its much easier to try to return to a normal lifestyle as soon as possible( open the presents anyways);) We lost our dog Rascal last February and all we wanted to do was pout and cry and reminisce through pictures and fave toys and the like but I think that just made it much harder on us..I am not saying to forget her but try to focus on only good things when thinking of her is all:hug: :muah: :heart:

dustinac
12-21-2007, 10:53 PM

jess_hawk
12-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss! My brother and I both had rabbits when we were younger. Losing them was horrible. I knew mine, Amanda, was sick when I went to school, and I wrote a note to my dad that we needed to take her to the vet that night, but since he was at work I couldn't do anything about it then. She was gone when I got home, and I couldn't stop thinking, if only I had called dad this morning!
Don't blame yourself. Things go wrong. **hugs**

ladyjessica
12-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Aww, poor little thing. I'm so sorry. I well know how hard it is to lose a pet. :hug: :hug: :hug:

saracidaltendencies
12-22-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, how incredibly sad. *hugs* I know too well how difficult it is losing pets, they're so much a part of the family, it's devastating when you lose one.

stitchwitch
12-22-2007, 12:38 AM
How sad. I'm so sorry for the loss of your bunny. :hug:

auburnchick
12-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Thanks, y'all.

Well, today was really hard. I went on to work and managed to put in a few hours before trying to finish my shopping and get home to my children.

I'm really proud of my husband. He put on a brave face for our kids.

We decided to open presents before her game. That wasn't 100% good as we could tell our daughter was disappointed with her gifts. Santa will be bringing the "good" stuff, but we were already so sad that her attitude hurt.

Regardless, we worked hard to keep her in good spirits before her game. She played outstanding and was in a good mood afterwards. We got something to eat...dreading what was coming.

One of my biggest fears was that she would hold this against me and be really angry. We haven't gotten along very well for a while. She shocked me by blaming herself. I think I would have rather had her mad at me.

Dh dug a hole in our garden, and we buried her there. I am so proud of my daughter. I planned on wrapping Chloe in my old robe, but my daughter wanted to do it. She was so brave, and we all cried. I prayed and thanked the Lord for the good memories. I told my children that the Bible says nothing about heaven not including animals, so it's my prayer that Chloe will be waiting for us when we get there.

I'm still really sad, and I still blame myself, but we'll get through it.

Thanks again for the kind words. Y'all are so sweet.

Dangles
12-22-2007, 04:08 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry :hug:

SnarfyCat
12-22-2007, 04:13 AM
*hugs*

So sorry to hear esp after the crazy last couple of weeks you've had to go through.

mks22300
12-22-2007, 10:49 AM

knitncook
12-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny friend. Peace, sister knitter!

boo1
12-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I know how much our pets mean to all of us. :hug:

KnittingNat
12-23-2007, 12:48 AM
:grphug: Sorry for your loss...

GiddyKnitter
12-23-2007, 07:49 AM
You poor thing what a terrible shock for you. xx

CountryKitty
12-23-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm so sorry. Rabbits can have so much personality and be so endearing.

Samsam
12-23-2007, 11:20 AM
aww, I'm so sorry...I'm crying now..how awful :(

jess_hawk
12-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Does your daughter know the story of the Rainbow Bridge?
It always makes me cry when I read it, but it's a wonderfully touching story.
http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

auburnchick
12-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks. That was sweet.

We're doing a bit better. We were looking at calendars in the mall yesterday, and my daughter held up a bunny calendar that had one on the cover that looks just like our's. :::::::::::::::::sigh::::::::::

I just wish I could erase the image of finding her. Oh well...

I memoralized Chloe on my blog.

Thanks for all of the kind words, all. You've made this easier to bear. :muah:

CountryKitty
12-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Auburn, that image will stay with you for a while, but will fade in time, as will the pain. I know. 3 years ago I lost my cat of 10 years...due to an accident that was completely my fault. The image of the moment I found her stayed with me for a time too. As did the image of one of our other cats searching for her, calling for her, checking her favorite sleeping spots and finally jumping up on the end table to stare at DH and I in a most perturbed fashion as if to demand to know, "WTF happened to Linda?!".

You will never completely forget it (I know I won't) but the pain of loss will fade to simple regret and the image fade with it, becoming far less sharply focused and detailed.

jennylozano
12-24-2007, 09:32 PM
I regret your loss very much :hug: I love animals very very much and loosing them really hurts and leave us with sadness and grief. I hope at some point you do not feel guilty anymore. It is a terrible thing to blame oneself. Just remember, things happen, accidents happen. Some times is no one's fault.
With sympathy,
Jenny

knitwit628
12-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Just remember that it wasn't your fault. It's not like you did it intentionally, it was an accident. Guiltiness is sometimes part of the grief process, and it wasn't your fault. Rabbits seem like incredibly sweet pets and I'm sure you will miss her a lot, but be happy for giving her a wonderful life full of your love. She was a special part of your family. :hug: I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your rabbit, it's very difficult and I understand what you are going through.

mare-nitt
12-25-2007, 07:38 AM
:grphug: So sorry.

sugarfunpouch
12-25-2007, 02:36 PM
:waah: It's so sad!! :hug: I'm so sorry! :cry:
We're here for you. :grphug:

DQ
12-25-2007, 03:36 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Chikky
12-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry. I've had rabbits my whole life and I know how much 'family' they can become. Just like any pet. My babies now are getting on in years and I fear for the day they are gone. Many hugs to your family.

Mrs. Columbo
12-27-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm so so sorry about Chloe .. :hug:

larudden
12-27-2007, 09:42 AM
:heart: Awwwwwwwwww, I'm so very sorry for your loss.:heart:

Isn't it amazing how our pets dive into our hearts and really grab hold? Blows my mind every time................

I've got a Beta Fish named Scott that I've had for probably 2 years now and, lately, he's been looking kind of crappy. I'm a nervous wreck over it. Every day, I look in his bowl and shake it a bit to see if he's still moving. A BETA FISH! It just goes to show you that every little creature, no matter how small, can become such a special part of your life.

I'm sure that little bunny is hopping down those streets of gold as we speak.

:muah: :muah: